Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: G 20
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:34 pm 

I work in the Liberty Centre Bldg right next to the Convention Center and I will be one of the few downtown workers who will come into the City and see the Freak Show out my window.

I dont know if this G 20 is such a great deal for Pittsburgh. Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: G 20
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:39 pm 

I know the whole "we chose Pittsburgh because it is such a great place" garbage that Mr. Obama is feeding us is a flat out lie. They chose Pittsburgh because no one else was foolish enough to take it. In fact, Pittsburgh was the sixteenth- SIXTEENTH!!- city that the White House approached. I don't know all of the 15 cities that turned it down, but Chicago was the first choice, and they didn't want any part of it, for fear the rioting would hurt their Olympic bid.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:09 pm 

I work at one north shore and have the wed -> fri off. I think it's a good thing the G-20 is here. Puts Pittsburgh on a national stage and puts a lot of the positives about the city out there.

I am planning on heading into the city on Thursday though. This is one of those once in a lifetime kind of things that I want to check out.

I also plan on heading to the Pirates game on Thursday. I figure the protesters will only target places with lots of people and public interest which makes an afternoon pirates game in late September one of the safest places to be.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 pm 

I don't get it. What are the protestors protesting? Is the fact that G-20 came to their city, or do they not like what the G-20 stands for?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:04 pm 

Willton wrote:
I don't get it. What are the protestors protesting? Is the fact that G-20 came to their city, or do they not like what the G-20 stands for?

They do not like what the G20 stands for. While the local anarchist group (Pittsburgh Organizing Group) will be among those protesting, many of the protestors are coming from points distant. Its widely expected that vandalism and property destruction will be a huge problem (not sure when smashing windows became a freedom of speech issue...) :roll: .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:46 pm 

Well I took a bus into town and there were 2 other people on it. No trafiic and downtown is a ghost town filled with cops not from Pgh. I felt like a rat trying to find where to find and entrance to get to my bldg. None of the cops and security people could direct me where to go. After 3 or 4 road blocks I found my way in. What a F-ed debacle. I know Pittsburgh is getting some International exposure (besides the Steelers & Pens) and the convention center may get booked more in the future, but to turn the city into a restricted war zone or disaster area is not worth it.

Why not have it at Nemacolin or if in downtown, have it over the weekend? Better yet, why not have a video conference with all the muckety-mucks?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:51 pm 

Living on the edge of Schenley park, we've been getting buzzed by military helicopters all day, presumably providing security for Barry's fancy dinner at Phipps tonight.