Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Moral High Ground
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:22 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Good point. I would however refer to the many Crusades, and any other conflict involving the middle east area. Also wars to prevent the godless hoard from the east ie. communism. You make a good point though.

You need to really read about the Crusades. A good number of them were led by young English lords looking for something to do. There were also commerical considerations to the Arabs controlling that part of the world at the time. The bulk of the armies might have been motivated by religion, but their leaders were motivated by other concerns.

And if you're not using religion, you're using ethnicity or nationalism.

In any event, this thread is just another useless "Let's bash people we don't agree with because don't agree with them" one. You find them everywhere on the internet and they're just as pointless as this one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:37 pm 

Who are we bashing? :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:51 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Who are we bashing? :? :?

Religious folks

Conservatives

Take your pick. Quite frankly I've gotten a bit tired of the liberal left in American constantly whining. The Veterans Day thread attracts 3 responses but a thread who's sole purpose appears to be bashing conservatives is three pages long.

Think about that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:05 pm 

Jeremy, ole buddy, I'm the guy who started the Veterens Day thread and as I'm sure you know I'm pretty liberal. Can I also love America or must I be, as Fox constantly says, unpatriotic and against America?

One of my biggest issues with the right is that somehow they think the own patriotism and love of country. THEY DO NOT. As a matter of fact Rush and his ilk now hope our President and our country fail. How patriotic is that?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:26 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Jeremy, ole buddy, I'm the guy who started the Veterens Day thread and as I'm sure you know I'm pretty liberal. Can I also love America or must I be, as Fox constantly says, unpatriotic and against America?

One of my biggest issues with the right is that somehow they think the own patriotism and love of country. THEY DO NOT. As a matter of fact Rush and his ilk now hope our President and our country fail. How patriotic is that?

When President Bush was in office, the elements of the Progressives in America didn't let an opportunity pass to tell everyone how they disagreed with him and that their dissent was patriotic. Conservatives called their dissent unpatriotic. Now that President Obama is in office, elements of the Conservatives in America don't let an opportunity pass to tell everyone how they disagree with him and that their dissent is patriotic. And amazingly enough, Proegressives call that dissent unpatriotic.

Do you see the hypocrisy here?

And to be honest with you Sub, your Progressive friends made this bed. Now you all have to lie in it. It's not an illusion that 60% of the military is registered Republican. And it's not like I let Conservatives off the hook here. A yellow ribbon on your SUV isn't patriotism. Paying your taxes isn't patriotism. I'm an action guy. Show me something you're doing that's patiotic. Stop trying to redefine patriotism so you feel better about yourself. That goes for all political stripes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:16 pm 

You make a good point.

Conversely, shouldn't right wingers be considered hypocritic for taking the all against America view that they now present.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
You make a good point.

Conversely, shouldn't right wingers be considered hypocritic for taking the all against America view that they now present.

YES!! Which was kind of my point. The way they're acting now, both the Progressives and Conservatives are hypocrites. All I'm asking is that people open their eyes to the hypocrisy and try to rise above it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:04 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
The way they're acting now, both the Progressives and Conservatives are hypocrites.

That is exactly why I am registered independent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 pm 

And Independents have been quietly pulling up stakes from the left and moving right over the last 12 months or so.

The Democrats are going to be in for quite a shock when November rolls around and all those Independents who voted for Obama are now voting for the GOP or staying home. Hell, most Progressives I know don't believe in Independents anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:07 pm 

It is the fringe nutcases on both the left and right who play the "patriot" card. Most everyone else is in the middle and have their hats on straight.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:19 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
It is the fringe nutcases on both the left and right who play the "patriot" card. Most everyone else is in the middle and have their hats on straight.

The problem is that those fringe "nutcases" are the ones who get one TV and spew their nonsense.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:24 pm 

Exactly.