Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:44 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Soapbox Time
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:06 am 

1. You blame Bush, I blame Obama

2. I call it torture but America's version of torture and the terrorists version are two different things. Waterboarding is not "unethical."

Yes, there can be other ways of getting information from a detainee, but in the case of a captured terrorist who bases his whole ideology on dying to kill "infidels," getting him to "roll" on his partners by offering concessions seems highly unlikely.

3. Now your putting words in my mouth, I would never conclude that the proper way to get out of a recession is to start a war. It just so happens that it provides an increase in economy for a great number of Americans.

And again, how can you say that the war in Iraq is unneccesary? I find 3 good reasons for the war.
A. A ruthless tyrant is dead and gone
B. A people were freed from his tyranny, lives were saved.
C. Iraq supported terrorism and shortly after the 9/11 attacks, Pres. Bush stated that ANY nation that supported terrorism would be considered an enemy. Everyone in the country bought into that at the time. I guess it was faux patriotism.

4. same as earlier...

5. Now again you are trying to paint me into this box that I'm a racist. The fact that the person is black and blames white people for "their peoples'" suffering I DO have a problem with. Contrary to what you may believe about me, if a white person would stand and say the same sorts of things, I would be just as upset. There isn't any heresay, I saw the man speak and I heard him say "whitey" did this and because of "whitey" this happened. If you don't see that as a problem, then I wonder if all this crap about you believing we should be a better nation than the rest is just a load of BS.
So your stipulation is that he didn't do it in office(thankfully we didn't give him much chance), well I know from my personal life that what I believe(core values) is the same thing I believed in my teens, my 20's and now into my 30's. So we are to believe that Mr. Van Jones would just all-of-a-sudden change his beliefs in communism, racism, and ludicrous beliefs that Bush was behind 9/11. If you believe that, then I have a bridge over in San Fran to sell you. Oh, never mind, I get it, Obama the messiah said he was legit, so whe are supposed to take his word for it(same argument that anti-Bush protestors have about Bush).

As far as the Healthcare bill goes, you didn't read any of it, I didn't read any of it, so how can we argue about it? Naturally, you hear the highlightes of the bill from over at CNN or MSNBC and I hear the lowlights over at Fox. So who is right? So when you read it, I'll read it, otherwise we are going to argue this point basd on what we are hearing from our propective sides.

Post subject: Re: Soapbox Time
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:19 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
Pirtaefan-- you seem to have a lot of hate built up inside you that you don't mind sharing. Why so angry?

The point you make about torture is simply unamerican. You can try to hide behind the patriotic flag but our principles don't change. In torturing people we lose ourselves.

What do we gain? If I were being tortured, I would tell you what I thought you wanted to hear so that the pain would stop. Wouldn't matter if it were true or not. Never in our history have we accepted torture as a legitimate technique of information gathering. No, we Americans were and are above the inhuman treatment of others. It has nothing to do with service to our country, but more to living by our standards which as you properly suggest are the envy of the world. So, you want to give that up to save what? You just can't eat your cake and have it too.

Don't you realize that the (civilian) Dick Chenney way has been determined by most Americans as the wrong way. Ask General Colin Powell or any other General in our military today.

Why so angry? C'mon Sub, you have to ask me that? Has everyone forgotten 9/11? I certainly haven't, I also haven't forgotten about the USS Cole(where I knew someone who died), I haven't forgot about the people cheering in the streets of Iran and North Korea after the Towers crashed down. I haven't forgot the Police and Fireman sitting helpless on the ground knowing that many of their friends had died trying to do their job. I remember the gaping hole in the Pentagon, I walk through the memorial over there reading the names of people who died for their country. I remember President Bush telling the American people that we weren't going to rest until every terrorist responsible was found and put to trial, and every nation that harbored terrorists would also pay the price. I'm not resting because the job is far from done. 3000 innocent people died that day, innocent, other than those at the Pentagon, how many of those were combatants? How many were trained soldiers? Your right I have anger in my heart, maybe you should to, I have anger for cowardly men who would target a civilian to promote his religeous BS. I am also sure that you know that the war didn't start after 9/11, it wasn't started by George Bush I or II, this war has been raging for centuries and will continue till the end of time. Peace between nations and different peoples is a fantasy, many people can't even have peace within a family, and they might even love each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6