Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best GPS Unit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm 

I've always been a big believer that if you don't know where you're going, you need to stay the fvck off the road, but my wife has wanted a GPS for a while now. Further, her birthday is next week, AND I'm hoping to convince my wife to relocate, so I figured I'd look into getting her one. Looking for advice for the best model out there. Would like to stay under $200. Anyone?

Post subject: Re: Best GPS Unit
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:31 pm 

I have used a Garman but the battery life after a charge wasn't all that great. It had to be plugged into the ciggy lighter to have any range.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:27 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

As always, be careful of the lower cost ones. The biggest concern, I think, for your and your wife (whom I am assuming want the "set it and ferget it" version) is to get a unit that will update itself at least annually for route changes and major projects. Otherwise, you end up paying an annual fee to Garmin or someone, or finding yourself driving off the edge of a bridge in 2 years.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 pm 

Wait...is that "drive off a bridge" feature optional for days when I've had enough of Mrs. BBF???

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:12 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah, but a good GPS will know if its you or her, and who is mad at whom!

Like I said, ya gotta be careful with the low end stuff.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:18 pm 

When it comes to GPS system i really like the Aviton system i have. I thought because it was a lower priced one that i might be getting into some hot water, but it is great. I purchased it at Kohl's for $119.99+ tax and it has been great. It's touch screen and you can get a memory card for it(which does cost extra) and download celebrity voices and things like that. It also has a hookup so you can hook it into your radio to hear it louder. It has a neat little feature that you can turn on and off also which i like to turn on when my girlfriend is driving, which is you can set it so it tell you how fast and how well you are driving and it warns you if you aren't driving well(when in an area that you don't know i like to turns this off though because it can become annoying).
I did a good bit of research on google on reviews of gps systems before i bought it and it has got a pretty good review everywhere i have looked.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:26 pm 

Well I finally decided on the Magellan Maestro 4350. It came down to Magellan vs Garmin, as TomTom reviews all said their US maps are not as accurate as the other two. My final decision was between the Maestro and the Garmin nuvi 265T, but the Magellan had more features at about the same price (ranging from $160-180). The only thing it lacks is that Garmin provides ad-supported traffic info, whereas you have to pay for it with Magellan if you want it (which I'm not sure I do). I'd rather not have the ads popping up all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:11 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Which one provides the "nagging spouse to the bridge under repair" feature?

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 pm 

Not sure if your wife would want it but I want the one where you can download Elle McPherson's voice to be the one giving directions. Although "driving" directions are not the preferred "directions" that I'd like to be receiving from her . . . Grrrrrrrr.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:42 pm 

Please take care so that your wife doesn't have access to the voice mechinism. I'm convinced mine doctored our Garmin so that the female voice bitches at me so that I feel just like my wife is giving me directions.

It's so great to know that there are people who can say "re-calculating" with an attitude that really says "another mistake you stupid a$$". Gives me some feeling of security like she's there with me.

Life's little blessings.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:54 pm 

Today was her birthday and she so far loves the GPS. However, I grabbed it and went into the settings and shut off the "speed limit warning". I certainly don't need two voices bitching about how fast i am driving.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:36 pm 

One small step for man. (and most probably temporary at that)