Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Favorite albums of 08 (thus far)
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:59 pm 

I wouldn't mind seeing REM but the closest they come here on their current tour is Chicago.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:36 pm 

Ollie wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing REM but the closest they come here on their current tour is Chicago.

That's the closest to me, too (we both live in Ohio if I recall correctly), and it is almost roadtrip-worthy, especially due to the two OUTSTANDING openers on this tour, The National and Modest Mouse. I've seen the two of them by themselves multiple times and they both put on great shows, and quite honestly two if the best bands going today. That on top of REM, a band I've never seen and just came out with a great album this year to boot ... hmm, wonder if I can still get tickets.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Whatever. I know you guys will be rushing to the stores to buy David Archuleta...

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:29 pm 

LOL
I will be American Idle in that regard .

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:20 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
LOL

I cant agree more...I hate that show, but if for sh*ts and giggles if the tryout is close this summer I'm trying out and will be performing a Lou Reed song, while wearing a t-shirt with some local stores websites printed on it for the 15 minutes of fame...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 4:42 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
LOL

I cant agree more...I hate that show, but if for sh*ts and giggles if the tryout is close this summer I'm trying out and will be performing a Lou Reed song, while wearing a t-shirt with some local stores websites printed on it for the 15 minutes of fame...

Which Lou Reed song?

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:27 pm 

Either Walk on the Wildside or Heroin...both are ones I play out in the bars...

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:58 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Whatever. I know you guys will be rushing to the stores to buy David Archuleta...

He was great in "Ready To Rumble" and "Scream 3". :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:35 pm 

I saw Lou Reed at the Stanley Theater 1974. Great show. Awful opener....Hall and Oates.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:27 pm 

PSA - "X" is in town at The Rex tomorrow night (5/23) if you're looking for something to do. All originals and still kicking ass. I'm going to run it past my wife, for $23/ticket, you can't go wrong!

http://www.xtheband.com/index.html

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:09 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I saw Lou Reed at the Stanley Theater 1974. Great show. Awful opener....Hall and Oates.

Wow...Whoever the promotion staff was must have had no idea what kind of music either played...

My friend's blues band opened for a heavy metal band once at a bigger venue around here...they didn't know it was a metal band...He said the crowd was pretty silent the whole 90 minutes they played...
He said he felt like he was in the scene from the Blues Brothers when they were playing in the Honky Tonk Bar...minus the chicken wire of course

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:27 pm 

chett - what have you been spinning lately? I just picked up The National's Virginia EP (which comes in bundle with their new A Skin, A Night DVD), and it's a pretty good disc of demo/live tracks/b-sides from one of the best bands IMO in the last 5 years.

Also picked up the Band of Horses debut yesterday. I have had Cease To Begin and have loved it, hadn't heard anything off of this besides "Funeral" and "The Great Salt Lake".

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:40 pm 

A couple more good records I just heard today ...

Silver Jews - Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea
Wolf Parade - At Mount Zoomer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:30 am 

Hey Shark,

what do you think of the new Wolf Parade album? I had their first one, and although all the stuff they play is similar to what I love, and everyone around me loves the first one, I just couldn't get into it. I also love the Silver Jews and adore The National. I got a chance to speak to the lead singer from them last year at a show they did out near Brooklyn last year. I wish I could remember what he said...oh well. It was a great time.

As for me, I just picked up the latest Manhattan Love Suicides EP and the new Girl Talk though I haven't had a chance to really listen to them yet. I'm really pissed off because Times New Viking and Titus Andronicus were in town tonight and I completely forgot. Damn!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:53 am 
 WWW  Profile

On Wednesday (July 2) I'm going to see 311 with Snoop Dogg opening for them! Those are two acts I never imagined seeing together!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:35 am 

IA Pirate wrote:
On Wednesday (July 2) I'm going to see 311 with Snoop Dogg opening for them! Those are two acts I never imagined seeing together!

Not only is that a weird combination, but Snoop Dogg is opening for 311?! Snoop Dogg I thought was still culturally relevant? What exactly has 311 done in the last ten years!?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:22 pm 
 WWW  Profile

chetthespian wrote:
IA Pirate wrote:

Not only is that a weird combination, but Snoop Dogg is opening for 311?! Snoop Dogg I thought was still culturally relevant? What exactly has 311 done in the last ten years!?

311 has been around since around 1990 and has a boat-load of albums. They have a fan base similar to that of a Grateful Dead, Phish, or Jimmy Buffet (obviously not as big of a fan base as those groups but I used those as an example of how loyal they are). I happen to be a huge 311 fan and see them whenever they are in the area.

Snoop is opening for 311 because, in my opinion, he couldn't get 10,000 fans at his concert in every city like 311 can. He's a smart business man. He is getting his product in front of a completely different audience then he ever has. 311 is doing the same.

It should be a great time! Do I need to do a Game Report?? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:32 pm 

chetthespian wrote:
Hey Shark,

what do you think of the new Wolf Parade album? I had their first one, and although all the stuff they play is similar to what I love, and everyone around me loves the first one, I just couldn't get into it. I also love the Silver Jews and adore The National. I got a chance to speak to the lead singer from them last year at a show they did out near Brooklyn last year. I wish I could remember what he said...oh well. It was a great time.

As for me, I just picked up the latest Manhattan Love Suicides EP and the new Girl Talk though I haven't had a chance to really listen to them yet. I'm really pissed off because Times New Viking and Titus Andron
icus were in town tonight and I completely forgot. Damn!

I also had a hard time getting into the new Wolf Parade. I don't think it's bad, but not near up to par with Apologies. The National are just phenomenal. It's a shame most people starting getting into them with their last album Boxer because I thought Alligator is easily and by far the best think they've ever done. What a superb album.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:26 pm 

The new Hold Steady is solid as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:39 pm 

I bought two new releases a couple a weeks ago...Jakob Dylan (of the Wallflowers) "Seeing Things" and Mudcrutch (Tom Petty and Friends) "Mudcrutch"

Jakob's taste into solo work...A very stripped down, folksy album, definitely a hint of his old man rubbing off on him on this album..."Evil is Alive and Well" is a very popular song of mine off the album along with "Something Good This Way Comes"

Mudcrutch is basically the beginning of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers...broke up in 1975 before Tom and the Heartbreakers signed their record deal...Rumor has it Tom said if he made it big, he'd have the original members of the group come together with him and do an album..."Scare Easy" is the big hit from the album, plus my favorite, an old cover song made famous by the Grateful Dead "Shady Grove"