Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite albums of 08 (thus far)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:20 pm 

Anyone got any? My list so far would be something like ...

The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
The Whigs - Mission Control
Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

The Raconteurs, Black Mountain, and Tapes 'n Tapes (although dissapointing) have all put together some decent records as well. Still waiting to hear the new Black Keys release too.

Post subject: Re: Favorite albums of 08 (thus far)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:54 pm 

I'm not much of a fan of most modern music and none of my favorite bands have released anything yet, but a favorit album of mine I got in the Fall was Dirt Farmer by Levon Helm, formerly of the band, The Band...

He won the Grammy for Best Traditional Folk Album in February

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:03 pm 

I really like Sergei Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2.

Oh, wait, you meant 2008, nevermind................

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:18 pm 

REM's Accelerate was also surprisingly a very solid album.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:23 pm 

I've been a big fan of the Kills new one, "Midnight Boom" as well as Cut Copy's "in Ghost Colours." Nick Cave's "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!" might be my favorite of his.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 2:24 pm 
 WWW  Profile

What's sad is I haven't bought a CD for a long time. The only time I do is if I'm at a concert and like what I hear or if it's from my favorite band (311). I'm so used to downloading particular songs now that purchasing an entire CD seems old to me.

#7 Baylor Bears (3-0) at Iowa State Cyclones (1-2)
Jack Trice Stadium
September 27, 2014
7:00 PM CST
FOX

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:37 pm 

Yeah, I rarely buy CD's any more. I belong to emusic so I get most of my new music that way. Usually I save my money to see the bands in concert or I'll pick up their release on vinyl if I want a hard copy. CD's are just so useless and ugly.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:50 pm 
 WWW  Profile

All of my recent purchases have been from 2007. However the Juno soundtrack has been rather solid.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:07 pm 

chet - That Kills album is solid from what I've heard from it.

cappscrew - 2007 was a great year for me. Such great albums released. Boxer, Sky Blue Sky, Person Pitch, Marry Me ...

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:09 pm 

I just bought Shooter Jennings lastest CD, The Wolf, over the weekend...It was released in 2007...

It has some really good cool songs, a good mix of Rock N Roll and Country...including a cover of the Dire Straits' hit Walk of Life...(As a musician I thought that would be one song no one would be able to cover and make it sound good...

Heres a link to watch the video...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ts2TjN6uatc

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 pm 

I forgot to mention Vampire Weekend's debut album which came out back in January. That album is fun as hell, and pretty damn good as well. The entire album will be in your head for weeks, much like another debut from XL records back in 06 - Tapes 'n Tapes. Both were of course part of the "blog buzz" scene as well when first emerging. Now let's just hope VW's sophomore album is better than Tapes.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:58 am 

Well guys, you've managed to make this 40 year old feel very old. And I thought I was still hip:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:51 pm 

Argentum wrote:
Well guys, you've managed to make this 40 year old feel very old. And I thought I was still hip:

It's not that you're old, it's the state of radio today. Every station with its own narrow little niche. Once upon a time you might hear anything at all on a given station.

That's my excuse, anyway.

Heh-heh.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 6:54 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Argentum wrote:

It's not that you're old, it's the state of radio today. Every station with its own narrow little niche. Once upon a time you might hear anything at all on a given station.

Heh-heh.

For some reason I have not found much to like about new music, bands, or groups...its sad, at age 27, most of my musical interests and heroes are from the 60's and 70's era and wont be around much longer...

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:09 pm 

nad69dan wrote:

For some reason I have not found much to like about new music, bands, or groups...its sad, at age 27, most of my musical interests and heroes are from the 60's and 70's era and wont be around much longer...

I was the exact same way for many many years until a few years ago I began exploring the underground music scene which is commonly fit under the "indie" umbrella. Have discovered tons of artists, both current and older that I never would have with mainstream radio, TV, ect. The internet is a great tool in that regard.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:41 am 

nad69dan wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Heh-heh.

I hate to rag on the current state of new music because it makes me sound like my parents, but yes, I do agree that there isn't much out there today grabbing me. Music has been a huge part of my life also, both as listener and guitar player, so it's not like I'm close minded either. It's just that I've heard it all before, nothing is very fresh sounding to my ears. That being said I do like some of the more mainstream alt acts like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers. They remind me of some of the stuff from the 80's. But when push comes to shove, my concert dollars are propping up the old burnouts like Van Halen and Judas Priest. At least with those bands I can be 16 again!!!

Now if only The Smiths would reunite......................!

Last edited by Argentum on Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:47 am 

TheShark wrote:
nad69dan wrote:

I was the exact same way for many many years until a few years ago I began exploring the underground music scene which is commonly fit under the "indie" umbrella. Have discovered tons of artists, both current and older that I never would have with mainstream radio, TV, ect. The internet is a great tool in that regard.

My old college buddy is constantly digging up cool sounding bands from places like Youtube and Myspace. He was a big alt rock guy so he's in pig heaven.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:27 pm 

I'm 23, and I listen to classic rock pretty exclusively. Besides Red Hot Chili Peppers, I don't listen to much new music.

95% of today's music is so bad it's flat out depressing. If I hear one more Nickelback song at the bars I might croak.

I bought a Sirius satellite radio a few months ago and I love it. I highly reccomend it for those of you who can't stand the crap that's on the radio today. Pittsburgh has a couple OK radio stations, but after having Sirius for a while they don't compare.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:43 pm 

Argentum wrote:

I hate to rag on the current state of new music because it makes me sound like my parents, but yes, I do agree that there isn't much out there today grabbing me. Music has been a huge part of my life also, both as listener and guitar player, so it's not like I'm close minded either. It's just that I've heard it all before, nothing is very fresh sounding to my ears. That being said I do like some of the more mainstream alt acts like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers. They remind me of some of the stuff from the 80's. But when push comes to shove, my concert dollars are propping up the old burnouts like Van Halen and Judas Priest. At least with those bands I can be 16 again!!!

Now if only The Smiths would reunite......................!
[/quote][/quote]

Morrissey is due to have another album due out this fall. From the new stuff he's played live it's looking to be much better than Ringleader of the Tormentors which I thought to be fairly weak.

I also just got this album by a band called Frightened Rabbit that has been very enjoyable so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:56 pm 

MrSmiff wrote:
I'm 23, and I listen to classic rock pretty exclusively. Besides Red Hot Chili Peppers, I don't listen to much new music.

If you consider the Chili Peppers to be new, then you sure don't listen to much new music. :D