Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosby Stills and Nash
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:19 pm 

I'm leaving shortly to go to Hershey to see a group of some of my favorite musical idols of all time...

They're at the Hershey Theatre...I lucked out and got seats on the floor just left of the center of the stage about 20 rows back...

Rumor has had it that this show is being taped by PBS in support of CSN's 40th anniversary, but regardless this will be a memorable night for me...

If my camera holds out, I may have some video, along with pictures...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Crosby Stills and Nash
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:49 pm 

Have fun.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:14 pm 

That is one concert I would love to have seen.. I'm sure they were great!

I may be seeing the Wailers in August.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:32 pm 

The show lastnight was one of the best I've ever seen...

I got there early around 4:30 as I wanted to beat the traffic around Harrisburg (unhappy state employees driving home is a scary thought)...

The Hershey Theatre was small but very wonderful...

I was accompanied by a beautiful young woman who is a big fan like myself...We went and grabbed a bite to eat at Hoolihans 3 blocks from the theater and had a nice meal...we felt we were very underdressed as we were in shorts, t-shirts and sandals...The waiter told us that one of the waitresses earlier this month got a $16,000 tip from Johnny Depp while visiting Hershey Park...

After dinner, we went back to the theater and walked around looking for glimpses of the band, got a peak at them getting into one of the buses but that was all. We went back the car where we packed a cooler of beverages (Beer and water) and had a mini-tailgate before the show. The doors opened at 6:30 so we decided to head on in. The theater was just wonderful and so small, it was a very warm atmosphere. We bought some tour T-shirts and there was a raffle for an autographed Martin Guitar signed by Crosby, Stills, and Nash and each played it before signing it. The raffle was to benefit the local Autism Group from the area, so I bought 10 tickets. Sadly, I did not win the guitar, but won free copies of their Demo's Album and of Stills' new album of a tape of songs he made after a Judy Collins session in 1968.

My seats were left of the stage about 100 ft from the stage. The show started and the group came out and played acoustic, started with Helplessly Hoping. I took my Mp3/camera/recorder into the show in hope of getting some video...but that was quickly shot down as a group beside us were trying to do the same thing, but went full out production on it (Flash bulbs, tri-pods, etc) and got caught and then ratted me out too. I covered myself quick as my camera was the size of my cell phone and showed the usher my phone instead. The group then said they were going to do some songs they've always wanted to cover and broke out into 'Ruby Tuesday' by the Rolling Stones, then did a James Taylor cover 'Close Your Eyes', followed by Bob Dylan's 'Girl From the North Country', then Tim Hardin's 'Reasons to Believe', and finished with 'Uncle John's Band' by the Grateful Dead. After the cover songs, the band went back into the vault pouring out some more great acoustic hits, kicking it off with 'Guinnevere', and 'Southern Cross'.

The whole time on stage Nash (who was barefoot) and Crosby (who had his hands in his pockets for half the set) were joking back and forth, to where they were deciding on a song and Crosby said 'no', then Nash called him a shit head, and Nash looked over at Stills and he shook his head no also. Then Crosby muttered, "Who's the shit head now?"

The first set ended, with Stills saying they'd be back in a few minutes to play some Rock N Roll.

The second set started with 'Love the One You're With' amd 'Deja Vu' then into some Buffalo Springfield with 'Rock & Roll Woman' and 'Bluebird'. Then the band went into 'Long Time Gone', and 'Marrakesh Express' and Nash's song, 'Military Madness', which included a line about George W Bush. Nash joked that each of them has an important role in the band. Stills' is to write some awesome Rock N Roll, his was to write the hits and songs everyone can sing too, and Crosby's was to write the crazy shit. They moved into 'Wooden Ships', 'Our House', and 'Almost Cut My Hair'. The band finished the night off by Nash announcing it was his daughter's 27th birthday and got his cell phone out and held it out while the crowd sang happy birthday to her, then they ripped into it with Buffalo Springfield's 'For What It's Worth' and 'Teach Your Children Well' to finish the night.

Overall Gram and David looked in very good shape, and played and sang very very well. Stills on the otherhand looked rough and on a few occasions looked very winded and had a tough time early on with his voice and twice while playing lead, you could see Nash was covering for him. Crosby's son James Raymond, was playing keyboards with the group and the bass player with them, I forget his name, was born and raised in Hershey.

The crowd was very vast, ranging from 20 something hippies to elderly couples who came in tuxedos and fancy theater dresses. Since the theater is non-profit, I'm sure some attending had season tickets for all the shows and came for that fact. A great time was had by all, including the men on stage...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...