Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green Tea Latte, Iced please
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:41 am 

I do not drink coffee. Not that I don't like it, it just doesn't like me. It has the effect on my metabolism that I think mainlining crystal meth would probably have. That said, I am probably the last person in the world who had never been in a Starbucks until a recent trip to Portland where one of the other parents invited me to join him at a Starbucks while our sons endured a 6:45 practice. I ordered an iced green tea latte. I am a green tea lover from birth. Even in the early 50's green tea was available and I am told by my mother that I had a tender stomach and green tea with milk and honey (yea I know, your not supposed to give honey to kids until they are at least one or two) was all I could hold down for a significant period of my early life. I can polish off unlimited quantities of Haagen Daz green tea ice cream. This iced green tea latte is scary good. Unfortunately, they are about 4 bucks a pop which will induce the victorian guilt that was instilled in me at a young age like an e coli virus. But hope is in abundance. You can buy the matcha green tea powder that they use and after all it is just the powder, milk and sugar. Grab a blender, make a smoothie and life is amazing in the morning. And, after doing a google search on the stuff, it is super healthy, full of fiber and tastes good too. God I love the internet.

Post subject: Re: Green Tea Latte, Iced please
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:26 am 

I am addicted to coffee. There I said it. But I don't intend to do anything about it except drink light (half the caffiene) because my Dr. thinks I shouldn't have any.

To show you how I have no life, my day usually starts with a glass of cranberry/pomigranite juice (anti-canceer but good), a bowl of oatmeal(fiber) with a handful of blueberries (anti-cancer) and some fruit, topped off with several coffees.

Can't match your smoothie but healthier then I did as a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:09 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
To show you how I have no life, my day usually starts with a glass of cranberry/pomigranite juice (anti-canceer but good), a bowl of oatmeal(fiber) with a handful of blueberries (anti-cancer) and some fruit, topped off with several coffees.

Just reading that made me make a mad dash for the toilet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:56 am 

Don't feel bad sub. My morning diet is almost identical. I just used the juice in the oatmeal and add the blueberries to the oatmeal too. This all since the big C word cropped up about a year and a half ago. The good news is that it works. I got a 3 year reprieve on the next colon picture session. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:04 pm 

Glad you're ok now. I shared your health issue-- mine was postrate c. They inserted radio-actve seeds into the area and they killed the sucker. But I glowed in the dark for months. LOL

My PSA test now is 0.4 or almost non-existant. I share your concern and believe that these types of food do make a serious difference. My research would include red wine and the red grapes and almost all dark fruits and vegetables.

My wife (breast cancer) and I are both cancer survivers, so we feel blessed and are going after life in as big a way as possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:18 pm 

Mine was pre cancerous. I guess I was lucky. I also make the latte out of fat free milk with Activa in it. Keep the faith and stay well. Pay attention youngsters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:24 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Don't underestimate the importance of diet. It can do the most to tame inflammation in the system, or cause it, and ... my brother the doctor reports... inflammation is being traced back to a myriad of diseases and cancers.

I am finding "green smoothies" are great. I got a Vita-Mix several years ago. One of the absolute best toys ever. I can take some fruit like apples (best fiber known to man and good for a pre-diabetic like me), maybe blueberries, a cup of spinach, an avocado, ice, water, and maybe a non-sugar sweetener like Stevia. Add a banana for richness and you have one great, healthy smoothie. And, the beauty of the Vita Mix is you throw everything in whole, seeds and skin (excepting banana's and avocado) and it all gets ground down to cellular and subcellular sizes that are easily adsorbed into you system.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:22 pm 

Diet is crucial. I eat an apple every day at work and use flax too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 pm 

Well if diet is the subject i bet i have one that could be considered unusual. I have ulcerative colitis, or some type of that, and you pretty much have to self manage your diet to what bothers you and what doesn't. I have had it since May 2008 and i am too scared to go get the scope done so i haven't been able to find out what exactly i have for sure, but my diet is a weird one. For starters i don't drink any type of caffeine, i don't drink any pop/soda, i don't drink any alcohol, i only drink water and sometimes tea( hot or iced), i can't eat anything with seeds in it, i don't drink milk, instead i drink rice milk, i love it, but i never thought i would because i thought it would be like soy milk and i hate soy milk. I don't eat fast food, I don't eat many vegetables, i have to avoid beans, peas, corn, etc., but i hardly eat any vegetables, instead i take a centrum silver once a day without iron because i can't have iron. I can't have berries, peppers, popcorn, sorbitol. Instead of going on with what i can't/don't eat and drink i will just say besides the vitamin i take 1 DanActive drink and 1 FiberOne yogurt. I eat alot of chicken and foods with chicken in it.
So i know about a hard diet. I am still young but i realize how your diet effects your whole life. I had no choice to change my diet, but for those that do still have that choice make good ones. I never thought i wouldn't be able to eat my favorite good and i didn't think i would ever have to change what i eat and pretty much how i live all together, but if you don't have good health then alot more bad things will come. A good diet is the first step you can take to control your health, and you would be pretty suprised how much it really does help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:50 pm 

It's interesting how we all have different preferences, metabolism, etc..

I can't stand coffee.. can't stand the smell of it even. I'm with you, Colin.. never drink pop/soda either. I don't like carbonated drinks. It really bothers my throat. So, yeah, it's pretty much water for me, too. Is it true that drinking water from plastic bottles is not good?

Any of you drink green tea? I tried it once in Japan. The lady who prepared it (my friend's elderly grandmother) made it very strong! I couldn't handle it.

Az, nad, I'm sure you and some other guys here like Joni Mitchell. I was shocked to see that Starbuck's was sponsoring her in some way.. tour maybe? She's seen as being an activist/anti-establishment, but she loves her coffee and cigarettes. I love her!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:58 pm 

Ollie wrote:
It's interesting how we all have different preferences, metabolism, etc..

I can't stand coffee.. can't stand the smell of it even. I'm with you, Colin.. never drink pop/soda either. I don't like carbonated drinks. It really bothers my throat. So, yeah, it's pretty much water for me, too. Is it true that drinking water from plastic bottles is not good?

Any of you drink green tea? I tried it once in Japan. The lady who prepared it (my friend's elderly grandmother) made it very strong! I couldn't handle it.

Az, nad, I'm sure you and some other guys here like Joni Mitchell. I was shocked to see that Starbuck's was sponsoring her in some way.. tour maybe? She's seen as being an activist/anti-establishment, but she loves her coffee and cigarettes. I love her!

I drink Lipton green tea honey lemoned flavored all the time and i love it. That, water and ice tea are the only things i drink.
Also i have heard about bottled water being bad for you, but i can't stand city water and where we are we have wells even filtered i think it tastes funny. I used to drink Dasani water all the time and then i did notice a change in it's taste that i didn't like so i switched to Nestle Pure Life and that is all i drink now.
My dad gets on me all the time though about how bottled water is bad for you and how much better filtered well water is but i just don't like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 am 

Most bottled water is simply tap water reverse osmosis'ed and filtered. Almost all unless labeled "spring". I cannot drink the tap water here in Tempe. It tastes like crap and has little floaties in it. We have a filtration system on the fridge. Interestingly enough, LA has the best tap water I have ever tasted and I drank it straight the whole weekend a couple of weeks ago. Buck was proud.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:56 pm 

Here in Johnstown, PA, there was a study done and the tap water here is supposed to be some of the best on the east coast...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:07 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Most bottled water is simply tap water reverse osmosis'ed and filtered. Almost all unless labeled "spring". I cannot drink the tap water here in Tempe. It tastes like crap and has little floaties in it. We have a filtration system on the fridge. Interestingly enough, LA has the best tap water I have ever tasted and I drank it straight the whole weekend a couple of weeks ago. Buck was proud.

That is how our well water is here, and even with the filtration system on the fridge it still isn't enough to make it taste good.