Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Well i thought i could start this out. I wont usually be doing this many at a time since i only see between 15 and 20 movies a year.
This is a list of some movies that you might be considering seeing in theaters, watching on dvd/ppv, or watching on TV.

Gran Torino- Didn't know what to think the first time i went into theaters to see this movie, but when i left the theater i was sure i just saw one of my favorite movies of all time. I am not one to watch a movie over and over, and i saw Gran Torino in theaters 3 times, and i bought the Bly-Ray and i have watched it a total of 5 times. It is the best of the best this year. I give it 10 balls!

Changeling- One of the best straight to DVD movies i have seen in a long time. A good one to watch and a great true story. I give it 9 balls.

The new The Day The Earth Stood Still- I was alittle disappointed with this one. The only thing i liked was the fact that Keanu Reeves was the perfect alien. Not as good as the original. I give it 6 balls.

The Wrestler- I am a huge wrestling fan and i hated this movie, so many wrestling fans and non-wrestling fans loved this movie. I thought it stunk. I give it 2 balls.

Bolt- Not really my kind of movie, but it wasn't that bad. A great movie for the kids. I give it 8 balls.

The Hangover- Also not my kind of movie, i hated the American Pie movies and i am not a big fan of raunchy movies, but the hangover wasn't nearly as raunchy as i thought it would be, it was down right funny. A true gem, to the point where i would put it in the same catagory where i would but Dumb and Dumber. I give it 9 balls.

Transformers 2- I liked Transformers 1 alot so i figured i would go see Transformers 2. It wasn't as good but it was still a decent movie. I give it 8 balls.

Ice Age 3- I went to see this movie pretty much just because it was the first movie i ever saw in IMAX 3D. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. It was a short movie so i can't say it was a waste of money. I liked Ice Age 1 alot better. I give it 6 balls.

Public Enemies- Another great true story and and all around good movie. Go see it. I give it 10 balls!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
This is continued from the above post because i couldn't get the scroll bar to stay down anymore because it was too long for one post.

Knowing- I thought this would be a great movie and i was very disappointed with it. I give it 5 balls.

Angels and Demons- This is the sequel to The Da Vinci Code and it wasn't quite as good but i still liked it. I give it 8 balls.

That is it for now. I bought 12 Rounds, but i haven't watched it yet. I also will be going to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince this weekend.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 am
Posts: 1328
If you have kids, take them to see Up. Even if you don't have kids, it's still worth seeing.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Well i just finished watching Taken after the game tonight that i recorded off of PPV. It wasn't a bad movie, it was oddly short but it fit well with it because of it's fast pace. The run time for the movie was only 1 hour and 24 minutes. I wasn't too crazy about how the lead character(Liam Neeson) could pretty much do anything, it was like he was superman. At one point he is being shot at with automatic weapons by about 50 guys while driving and he is never hit once.
It wasn't a terrible movie and because of it's short run time it is worth watching, but i would wait for it to come out on the movie channels if i had that option back.
I give it 6 balls.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:23 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Colin21 wrote:
Well i just finished watching Taken after the game tonight that i recorded off of PPV. It wasn't a bad movie, it was oddly short but it fit well with it because of it's fast pace. The run time for the movie was only 1 hour and 24 minutes. I wasn't too crazy about how the lead character(Liam Neeson) could pretty much do anything, it was like he was superman. At one point he is being shot at with automatic weapons by about 50 guys while driving and he is never hit once.
It wasn't a terrible movie and because of it's short run time it is worth watching, but i would wait for it to come out on the movie channels if i had that option back.
I give it 6 balls.


I loved Taken, it was a Seagall type movie but with real acting and a bigger budget.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Argentum wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
Well i just finished watching Taken after the game tonight that i recorded off of PPV. It wasn't a bad movie, it was oddly short but it fit well with it because of it's fast pace. The run time for the movie was only 1 hour and 24 minutes. I wasn't too crazy about how the lead character(Liam Neeson) could pretty much do anything, it was like he was superman. At one point he is being shot at with automatic weapons by about 50 guys while driving and he is never hit once.
It wasn't a terrible movie and because of it's short run time it is worth watching, but i would wait for it to come out on the movie channels if i had that option back.
I give it 6 balls.


I loved Taken, it was a Seagall type movie but with real acting and a bigger budget.


That is a great comparison. It was just like a Steven Seagall movie. I'm not the biggest fan of him, but if you are a Seagall fan, or like that type of movie you will probably like Taken.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Ok i have some more reviews of some movies i forgot i watched and i just looked over my rental list.

Bedtime Stories- A decent movie but it just seemed like another duck in the pond. Nothing special but it might be one that littler kids might really like. I give it 6 balls.

Twlight- Not my kind of movie what so ever but because of the hype i thought i would rent it so i did. It came off to me as having poor and cheap special effects and i just didn't like the movie very much. I give it 4 balls.

Valkyrie- I couldn't wait to see this movie and when i did i was alittle disapointed in it. It just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. It was still a decent movie and it was worth seeing. I give it 7 balls.

now onto the 2 i rented this week.

Street Fighter the Legend of Chun Li- I really liked the Street Fighter video games growing up but i didn't expect this movie to be very good at all. It started off pretty lame and alittle hard to follow but towards the middle of it i started to like it more. It had a good ending which leads you to believe there will be a sequel. I give it 8 balls.

Inkheart- Out of the 2 i rented this week i thought this would be the better of the two but it wasn't at all. It was a big let down from the hype of the books and i just didn't care for it. I give it 5 balls.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
Damn, Colin, you got some balls.

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
I got some more i just found out i rented.

Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia- Terrible movie, i tried to watch this movie 3 times and i fell asleep and couldn't make it through it at all. The worst movie i saw this year. I give it 1 ball.

Righteous Kill- This was an okay movie but it wasn't what i expected from De Niro and Pacino. I give it 6 balls.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Well since i'm finding it alittle hard to talk about the Pirates as of late even though i still watch everyday, i don't feel like going with the Greg Brown approach and talking about Matt Capps' new haircut so i thought i would rate some movies.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- A very very long movie, but if it what you like then you or your kids will love it. I've watched all the Harry Potter movies and this movie finally brought some life to him and his living style. I give this movie 9 balls.

Shrooms- A movie that was susposed to be scary, but it pretty much has the feel that they are just trying to scare kids into not doing drugs. The pretty much stole the ending to Secret Window, but it wasn't a movie i turned off so i give it 5 balls.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
The new Halloween 2- I went to see this movie at the very first showing on Thursday night at midnight, i expected the theater to be packed, but there really weren't that many people there. The movie itself was okay. I thought it was alittle bit to much like a Pink Floyd video, where there were too many cut scenes. It seems to have that "trip movie" feel to it more than the first one. That was a part of it i didn't like. I did like Rob Zombies first Halloween movie and this is why i went to see this one. It didn't compare to the first one at all though. I give this movie 6 balls. Alittle disappointing to me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:33 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Colin21 wrote:
The new Halloween 2- I went to see this movie at the very first showing on Thursday night at midnight, i expected the theater to be packed, but there really weren't that many people there. The movie itself was okay. I thought it was alittle bit to much like a Pink Floyd video, where there were too many cut scenes. It seems to have that "trip movie" feel to it more than the first one. That was a part of it i didn't like. I did like Rob Zombies first Halloween movie and this is why i went to see this one. It didn't compare to the first one at all though. I give this movie 6 balls. Alittle disappointing to me.


Didn't like the first remake and will wait for this one to hit Redbox. Your review confirms my suspicions.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:06 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don;t get to the movies much preferring my netflix gig but the last one I actually saw at the theater was Gran Torino. I am a big Clint Eastwood fan and it did not disappoint. I am looking forward to going to see Bruno though.


Az, I'm a netffix person too. Gran Torino is on my list but not here yet. Looking forward to it.

I'm interesting in reading people's thoughts on recent movies to help me make future selections. Don't go often but watch one every 4 or 5 days.


You wont be disappointed with Gran Torino one bit. The only reason it didn't win the Oscar was because of it's racial insensitivity, but that is how the story had to be told and i am glad they didn't take that out of it.


We finally got Gran Torino and throughly enjoyed it. It was Dirty Harry as an old man. My kind of movie that came off as realistic and not just made up for the action.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Quote:
We finally got Gran Torino and throughly enjoyed it. It was Dirty Harry as an old man. My kind of movie that came off as realistic and not just made up for the action.


One of my favorites. I can't even count how many times i have watched this movie. I'm glad they kept it realistic and didn't change it to appease the audience who wouldn't like this type of movie.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits