Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:54 am 

Wel i got to thinking today(which is never a good thing) because it was an off day, and i thought what do alot of people use as conversation starters around a real water cooler and it is "seen any good movies lately?"

So i thought when we see a movie that we either love, like, dislike, or just plain hate that we could write something small about it.
I don't know how well this will work out or how many people will take part in it.

Also to keep the baseball message board feel instead of thumbs or stars i think we should use balls.
Say if you hate the movie you would give it 1 ball and if you loved it you would give it 10 balls.

Somebody write back and tell me what you guys think of this idea. I'm ready to hear every varation of the word stupid that you guys can come up with, but i thought this was worth a shot.

Post subject: Re: A Night At The Movies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

I like the idea. Instead of keeping all the movies in one thread I think we should start a new thread with each movie. I'm in. I don't see too many movies unless they really spark an interest, like The Hangover did for me. Great movie, by the way!

11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:09 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
I like the idea. Instead of keeping all the movies in one thread I think we should start a new thread with each movie. I'm in. I don't see too many movies unless they really spark an interest, like The Hangover did for me. Great movie, by the way!

Yes The Hangover was a great movie. Usually that isn't my type of movie and a bunch of my friends had me go with them and i did really like it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:13 pm 

I'm gonna see "Forbidden Lies," an Australian documentary about a woman who wrote a bestseller about an honor killing in Jordan (a Muslim father had his daughter killed for having a Christian boyfriend.)

An Australian journalist claims the author is a fraud, that she made the whole thing up. The movie follows the author lady as she goes on a fact finding trip to the Middle East.

I usually go to foreign or low budget films at an art institute. I stay away from mainstream films (like I stay away from good sports teams :? .)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:18 pm 

Quote:
I usually go to foreign or low budget films at an art institute. I stay away from mainstream films (like I stay away from good sports teams .)

Haha that was a good one.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:26 pm 

I don;t get to the movies much preferring my netflix gig but the last one I actually saw at the theater was Gran Torino. I am a big Clint Eastwood fan and it did not disappoint. I am looking forward to going to see Bruno though.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:51 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:

"One of the side-effects of roofies is memory loss."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:43 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I don;t get to the movies much preferring my netflix gig but the last one I actually saw at the theater was Gran Torino. I am a big Clint Eastwood fan and it did not disappoint. I am looking forward to going to see Bruno though.

Gran Torino was my favorite movie of the year so far. It was great. It was the only blu-ray i bought so far this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:21 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

Az, I'm a netffix person too. Gran Torino is on my list but not here yet. Looking forward to it.

I'm interesting in reading people's thoughts on recent movies to help me make future selections. Don't go often but watch one every 4 or 5 days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:24 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

Az, I'm a netffix person too. Gran Torino is on my list but not here yet. Looking forward to it.

I'm interesting in reading people's thoughts on recent movies to help me make future selections. Don't go often but watch one every 4 or 5 days.

You wont be disappointed with Gran Torino one bit. The only reason it didn't win the Oscar was because of it's racial insensitivity, but that is how the story had to be told and i am glad they didn't take that out of it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:56 am 

Well i thought i could start this out. I wont usually be doing this many at a time since i only see between 15 and 20 movies a year.
This is a list of some movies that you might be considering seeing in theaters, watching on dvd/ppv, or watching on TV.

Gran Torino- Didn't know what to think the first time i went into theaters to see this movie, but when i left the theater i was sure i just saw one of my favorite movies of all time. I am not one to watch a movie over and over, and i saw Gran Torino in theaters 3 times, and i bought the Bly-Ray and i have watched it a total of 5 times. It is the best of the best this year. I give it 10 balls!

Changeling- One of the best straight to DVD movies i have seen in a long time. A good one to watch and a great true story. I give it 9 balls.

The new The Day The Earth Stood Still- I was alittle disappointed with this one. The only thing i liked was the fact that Keanu Reeves was the perfect alien. Not as good as the original. I give it 6 balls.

The Wrestler- I am a huge wrestling fan and i hated this movie, so many wrestling fans and non-wrestling fans loved this movie. I thought it stunk. I give it 2 balls.

Bolt- Not really my kind of movie, but it wasn't that bad. A great movie for the kids. I give it 8 balls.

The Hangover- Also not my kind of movie, i hated the American Pie movies and i am not a big fan of raunchy movies, but the hangover wasn't nearly as raunchy as i thought it would be, it was down right funny. A true gem, to the point where i would put it in the same catagory where i would but Dumb and Dumber. I give it 9 balls.

Transformers 2- I liked Transformers 1 alot so i figured i would go see Transformers 2. It wasn't as good but it was still a decent movie. I give it 8 balls.

Ice Age 3- I went to see this movie pretty much just because it was the first movie i ever saw in IMAX 3D. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great. It was a short movie so i can't say it was a waste of money. I liked Ice Age 1 alot better. I give it 6 balls.

Public Enemies- Another great true story and and all around good movie. Go see it. I give it 10 balls!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:09 am 

This is continued from the above post because i couldn't get the scroll bar to stay down anymore because it was too long for one post.

Knowing- I thought this would be a great movie and i was very disappointed with it. I give it 5 balls.

Angels and Demons- This is the sequel to The Da Vinci Code and it wasn't quite as good but i still liked it. I give it 8 balls.

That is it for now. I bought 12 Rounds, but i haven't watched it yet. I also will be going to see Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:10 am 

If you have kids, take them to see Up. Even if you don't have kids, it's still worth seeing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:38 am 

Well i just finished watching Taken after the game tonight that i recorded off of PPV. It wasn't a bad movie, it was oddly short but it fit well with it because of it's fast pace. The run time for the movie was only 1 hour and 24 minutes. I wasn't too crazy about how the lead character(Liam Neeson) could pretty much do anything, it was like he was superman. At one point he is being shot at with automatic weapons by about 50 guys while driving and he is never hit once.
It wasn't a terrible movie and because of it's short run time it is worth watching, but i would wait for it to come out on the movie channels if i had that option back.
I give it 6 balls.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:23 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Well i just finished watching Taken after the game tonight that i recorded off of PPV. It wasn't a bad movie, it was oddly short but it fit well with it because of it's fast pace. The run time for the movie was only 1 hour and 24 minutes. I wasn't too crazy about how the lead character(Liam Neeson) could pretty much do anything, it was like he was superman. At one point he is being shot at with automatic weapons by about 50 guys while driving and he is never hit once.
It wasn't a terrible movie and because of it's short run time it is worth watching, but i would wait for it to come out on the movie channels if i had that option back.
I give it 6 balls.

I loved Taken, it was a Seagall type movie but with real acting and a bigger budget.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 am 

Argentum wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
I give it 6 balls.

I loved Taken, it was a Seagall type movie but with real acting and a bigger budget.

That is a great comparison. It was just like a Steven Seagall movie. I'm not the biggest fan of him, but if you are a Seagall fan, or like that type of movie you will probably like Taken.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:53 pm 

Ok i have some more reviews of some movies i forgot i watched and i just looked over my rental list.

Bedtime Stories- A decent movie but it just seemed like another duck in the pond. Nothing special but it might be one that littler kids might really like. I give it 6 balls.

Twlight- Not my kind of movie what so ever but because of the hype i thought i would rent it so i did. It came off to me as having poor and cheap special effects and i just didn't like the movie very much. I give it 4 balls.

Valkyrie- I couldn't wait to see this movie and when i did i was alittle disapointed in it. It just didn't live up to the hype in my opinion. It was still a decent movie and it was worth seeing. I give it 7 balls.

now onto the 2 i rented this week.

Street Fighter the Legend of Chun Li- I really liked the Street Fighter video games growing up but i didn't expect this movie to be very good at all. It started off pretty lame and alittle hard to follow but towards the middle of it i started to like it more. It had a good ending which leads you to believe there will be a sequel. I give it 8 balls.

Inkheart- Out of the 2 i rented this week i thought this would be the better of the two but it wasn't at all. It was a big let down from the hype of the books and i just didn't care for it. I give it 5 balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:49 pm 

Damn, Colin, you got some balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 pm 

I got some more i just found out i rented.

Behind Enemy Lines: Columbia- Terrible movie, i tried to watch this movie 3 times and i fell asleep and couldn't make it through it at all. The worst movie i saw this year. I give it 1 ball.

Righteous Kill- This was an okay movie but it wasn't what i expected from De Niro and Pacino. I give it 6 balls.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 pm 

Well since i'm finding it alittle hard to talk about the Pirates as of late even though i still watch everyday, i don't feel like going with the Greg Brown approach and talking about Matt Capps' new haircut so i thought i would rate some movies.

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince- A very very long movie, but if it what you like then you or your kids will love it. I've watched all the Harry Potter movies and this movie finally brought some life to him and his living style. I give this movie 9 balls.

Shrooms- A movie that was susposed to be scary, but it pretty much has the feel that they are just trying to scare kids into not doing drugs. The pretty much stole the ending to Secret Window, but it wasn't a movie i turned off so i give it 5 balls.