What were you driving a U Haul truck?

Post subject: Re: I might be saying goodbye to the board for awhile soon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 am 

Listen closely to the Animal. Trust me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:53 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
What were you driving a U Haul truck?

No i was driving a 2008 Subaru Baja. If i was in a U Haul i would have been in alot better shape. My truck got pretty messed up. He was at fault for the driving accident, but i am in trouble for the assault and harassment.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:03 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Animal wrote:
Colin21 wrote:
After June 18th i might not be able to be around very much, i got some trouble yesterday afternoon for assaulting a man after a fit of road rage. I didn't really do anything that bad, he was getting all rude with me after he hit me and i spit in his face and called him some names. Little stuff i say, but the local yokel police had to make a big deal about it and they sent me to a holding cell in the Beaver County Jail from 5pm until Midnight. Thats why i missed the game tonight :(
The reason i might miss some time however is because my preliminary hearing hearing for these two misdemeanors is on June 18th. My problem is that when i was 18 in Febuary 2006, i was with two of my friends(at the time) and they stopped at the school and robbed it. I sat in the car and didn't do anything. Which the police said i was just as big a part of it as them because i didn't stop them. I got a bunch of charges which i chose ARD to get out of. I was given 5 years probation with no jail time, it also caused me to lose my scholarship to go play baseball, also my last 3 months at school weren't great for me either. My problem now is because i was put on probation in 2006 for 5 years that i might get re-tried for the case and i could be facing some serious jail time.
I will now write the lyrics to a song that keeps running through my mind. Here is the great Bob Dylan

Here comes the story of the Hurricane
The man the authorities came to blame
For something that he never done
Put him in a prison cell but one time he could-a been
The champion of the world.

What exactly were you charged with?? Get a good attorney, and try to get it plead down to a summary offense. That should not affect your probation.

I got charged with 1 count of assault and 1 count of harrassment. My worry is losing my ARD and being re-tried for that other case. It was pretty severe because i got a nightime breaking and entering on school grounds and there was also stuff taken, they stole all the football equipment. It was valued at 22,000 so it was way over the small claim of 8,000.

You have to make the assault go away. It should not be that difficult. You should be able to plead to the summary, as long as the guy was not seriously injured. If you have to give the guy some money for injuries, do it, if they will agree to the summary. What county is this in?? It should not violate your probation. It is extremely unlikely that they will try you on the first case. They could, but it is unlikely.

And you gotta watch that temper!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:10 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
Sorry that you're in this mess. I'm sure you have a lesson learned here. If not, you're headed for a long tuff life. Think things through before acting and you'll be better off.

My only advise is make sure you are represented by a competent attorney. It may cost some money, but it would truly be money well spent if he can help you here.

Yeah i'm getting a good lawyer. I'm getting the same guy i got for the case i got ARD on. I would be fine but the police are saying that this guy can't drop the charges. I don't understand why not. I talked to him today and we are on good terms, he said he was sorry for coming after me and i told him i was sorry for spitting and yelling at him. I don't understand why he isn't in control of the charges being pressed. He never pressed charges the police did. I don't understand this, are the police being crooked or are they allowed to make the decisions on assault cases?
The police are saying that it was brought to their attention by the neighbors that saw the wreck and now they are in control of the charges being pressed.
I know alot of you guys out there know alot more about the law than i do.

I missed part of this. I hope you check this before the hearing today.

That is not true. They cannot press the issue without the victim's approval. Technically, they do not need his testimony if there were other witnesses, but the DA should not persue this with an unwilling victim. The only case they can press without the victim's cooperation is Domestic Violence. So if this guy is not a boyfriend, he can choose not to follow through with the charges...ALL the charges. You would not even necessarily need to plead to the summary. That would be the BEST thing...hopefully this will work out for you.

Keep us posted. Send me a private message if you dont want to put it here.

One more thing...if all you did was spit at him and call him names, it does not even rise to a simple assault. There was no bodily injury. I think the cop was a little overzealous.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:14 am 

Quote:
You have to make the assault go away. It should not be that difficult. You should be able to plead to the summary, as long as the guy was not seriously injured. If you have to give the guy some money for injuries, do it, if they will agree to the summary. What county is this in?? It should not violate your probation. It is extremely unlikely that they will try you on the first case. They could, but it is unlikely.

And you gotta watch that temper!

My big problem is that i am already on probation, but it is in Beaver County.
Also i know i have to control my temper, especially since i am already on probation, but i am going to send you a PM Animal and it will explain my situation alittle better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:41 am 

Well i'm off to court. I also just checked and my post count is at 1979. Thats the last time the Pirates won the World Series so maybe that is good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:23 am 

Good luck Colin.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:25 am 
 WWW  Profile

Good luck brother...

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:40 pm 

Well i have to complete 12 weeks of anger management, but my probation officer violated my probation for not reporting for a year, even though last June i got Colitis and he told me i didn't need to report until i felt well. Well after that i went off to college in Illinois at Northwestern, so it was pretty hard to check in here in Beaver County. So now i have to go to court for a probation violation hearing, but the date hasn't been set yet for that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:53 am 

Colin-- you seem like a likeable person. But man you need to start understanding that the rules are not for you to choose between. Especially once you have been identified as someone who wants to ignore them. Please, for your sake, toe the line for the next few years. This is offered as advice not criticism, so please don't be offended.

Life teaches us all things that help us in the future. We just need to recognize them when they happen. Hope this all turns out well for you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:32 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Well i have to complete 12 weeks of anger management, but my probation officer violated my probation for not reporting for a year, even though last June i got Colitis and he told me i didn't need to report until i felt well. Well after that i went off to college in Illinois at Northwestern, so it was pretty hard to check in here in Beaver County. So now i have to go to court for a probation violation hearing, but the date hasn't been set yet for that.

Hah! Anger Management! I did that to, (I actually had to do it twice because I failed the first time...LOL) Ahh the good ole' days of "angry Piratefan13"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:02 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Colin-- you seem like a likeable person. But man you need to start understanding that the rules are not for you to choose between. Especially once you have been identified as someone who wants to ignore them. Please, for your sake, toe the line for the next few years. This is offered as advice not criticism, so please don't be offended.

Life teaches us all things that help us in the future. We just need to recognize them when they happen. Hope this all turns out well for you.

Nothing you guys say offends me. I take it all as advice. You guys know your stuff. I understand i'm just 21 and i still have alot to learn. I do think i have learned alot though from when i was 18. I know that 18 and 21 are probably categorized in the same age group, but i have grown up alot in that time frame.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:03 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Hah! Anger Management! I did that to, (I actually had to do it twice because I failed the first time...LOL) Ahh the good ole' days of "angry Piratefan13"

Haha my lawyer was like it's really easy nobody fails it. How did you fail? Did you not show up a couple times?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:03 pm 

For most young people there is a tremendous change between 18 and 21. Someone once said he couldn't believe how much his father learned from the time he(the kid)was 18 until 21.

I think maybe you're on that same learning curve. Glad you got a break, use it well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:25 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
For most young people there is a tremendous change between 18 and 21. Someone once said he couldn't believe how much his father learned from the time he(the kid)was 18 until 21.

I think maybe you're on that same learning curve. Glad you got a break, use it well.

Yeah i am. Well i was about 14 or so I figured if i stayed away from drugs and alcohol that i would avoid making most mistakes that kids do, but even though i have always stayed away from those two things i still have made alot of mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:38 am 

Colin21 wrote:
Piratefan13 wrote:
Colin21 wrote:

Haha my lawyer was like it's really easy nobody fails it. How did you fail? Did you not show up a couple times?

I got into an argument with the Anger Management "teacher" and got thrown out. Man was I a firecracker back then. Needless to say, my First Seargent was pretty mad at me and he told me I'd better pass the second time around... or else.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:31 am 

Colin, good luck!! I only just read this thread now.

My father spent time in prison recently so we've had some experience with the courts. I hope everything works out for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 am 

Ollie wrote:
Colin, good luck!! I only just read this thread now.

My father spent time in prison recently so we've had some experience with the courts. I hope everything works out for you.

Thank you very much. Things have seemed to have worked out pretty well so far. I start my anger management classes Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:55 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Colin21 wrote:
Thank you very much. Things have seemed to have worked out pretty well so far. I start my anger management classes Wednesday.

My advice...stop watching our beloved Pittsburgh Pirates...that can't, in any way imaginable, help your progress with your anger management classes!

#19 Oklahoma Sooners (5-2) at Iowa State Cyclones (2-5)
November 1, 2014
Jack Trice Stadium
Ames, IA
11:00 AM Fox Sports 1