Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: World's Best/Worst Airports
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:28 pm 

So I get the pleasure of connecting in Phoenix, LAX, and Denver next week. Will be my first time through all 3 of those airports.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:06 pm 

Denver is a little blah. I had a 5 hour layover there a couple of years ago. Not horrible, but not great.

I have always enjoyed flying in and out of Seattle. Not too bad.

When we flew back to Pittsburgh in '07 we went from Seattle to JFK to Pittsburgh. Maybe I was a little beat down after the 5 hour flight to JFK, but I hated that airport. There was a lot of construction going on, no places to eat and the rudest workers ever. Over the announcing speaker the worker actually said, "This is the last flight outta NY tonight, if you don't make this one you're freaking sleeping on the damn floor!". He wasn't laughing either... Then he was herding people like cattle onto the plane. My youngest was scared to death of him and asked if all people from NY are like that. I lied and said no.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:47 pm 

My favorite was Frankfurt, Germany. It's a major hub for every world airline. Had a blast "people watching" there and we ended up sleeping in the terminal overnight!

I've also been to Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Atlanta (huge!!), Newark, Portland, San Fran, L.A., Sarasota, Cancun, Taipei, Tokyo, Manila (no toilet paper in public places in the Philippines but they have western toilets!) Bacolod City, Phils, Kuala Lumpur (my kid was conceived there! 8-) er.. not in the airport) Kota Kinabalu (Malaysia) <-- had terrible diarrhea in that tiny airport and had to squat!! :oops: Haven't yet learned the colloquial terms for travelers' diarrhea in Malaysia and other international destinations. Would make an interesting and informative thread.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:24 pm 

First time flying into JFK this past week, and it's already charted on my sh*ttiest airport list — disorganized, crowded, with some of the most grossly inflated concessions ($10 for a Bass Ale, the best draught beer available at their high-end grill) I've ever encountered.

Eleftherios Venizelos Airport in Athens, Greece, is nothing to write home about either.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:48 pm 

I've got pretty limited experience with flying, but I didn't mind hanging out in Houston. It seemed like a pretty nice airport and all in all it seemed pretty well organized.

Philadelphia is an absolute shithole. That applies to everything in Philadelphia. I just generally hate the place but then again a lot of people feel that way about it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 pm 

NDL wrote:
I've got pretty limited experience with flying, but I didn't mind hanging out in Houston. It seemed like a pretty nice airport and all in all it seemed pretty well organized.

Philadelphia is an absolute shithole. That applies to everything in Philadelphia. I just generally hate the place but then again a lot of people feel that way about it.

I actually have pretty good experiences in Philly (I've been comped with a $100+ tab TWICE and made a flight I was late REALLY late for during the holiday rush within 20-30 minutes). Not to say it IS a great airport, but so far it's in my top 5.

Frankfurt and Chicago top my worst list. LAX comes in third.

Leipzig-Halle has gotten better every time I've gone there, so it's made my 'good list'.

Minneapolis, Boise and Vegas are all good in my book. Both Edmonton and Vancouver weren't shabby either.

Seattle is my #1 fave (for homer reasons)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 am 

When I was in Montana and flew home for Christmas, I got stopped in Missoula by security because my carry-on bag had 25 harmonicas in it, as i was coming home and going to go to the local open mic night back home and needed them to play...

Anyway, through the scanners you cant tell they are harmonicas just small metal object the size of pocket knives. My bag got searched and so did I...On my home back to Montana, I got the same treatment at Arnold Palmer Airport in Latrobe...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:15 am 

Denver struck me as really dirty. Everything just seemed to have a layer of flith on it.