Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: World's Best/Worst Airports
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:08 pm 

So, I am stuck in the Philly airport indefinitely. As I find this airport to be the worst I have ever been in (I don't think I have ever flown here without some delay), I thought I'd solicit others' opinions on their favorite and least favorite airports.

My worst incident here in Philly was a couple years ago, at the end of June, in 90 degree weather, and the entire airport (or at least all the concourses I cut through) were without air conditioning. And, since no flight every leaves this dump on time, people were packed in, sitting on the floors (as we all are now) sweating, stinking, and just generally miserable.

My second least favorite is Hartsfield in Atlanta, though a lot of other people seem to like it. Its another place where I've had bad delays, long waits, etc every time I've gone there. I'll save those horror stories for later. On the converse, I have always had very good experiences at O'Hare in Chicago, which everyone else always complains about. In fact, I would say it is my favorite major airport to connect in.

Other fantastic airports: Copenhagen, Minneapolis, Punta Cana, Vancouver, and Berlin Tegel, which is a real old-school airport slated to be demolished in the near future. Pittsburgh is nice, but then again, it is only used at about 40% capacity.

Anyone else have favorites or horror stories?

Post subject: Re: World's Best/Worst Airports
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:45 pm 

I like Phoenix because in less than 10 minutes, I drive up to Terminal 4, open the trunk and deposit Mrs. AZBF and/or my sons, drive to the end of the terminal, make a loop to head east and be home or at work in less than 10 if the lights obey my direction. I will do it at 630 am manana.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:43 am 

For the record, it is now 11:45 and I am still in the Philly airport. On standby for a 6am flight. They offered to put me in a hotel an hour away for $150. Um, for the 2-3 hours of sleep, no thanks, I'll find myself a nice piece of floor.

I swear this is the last time I fly through this shithole. Oh, and the Flyers suck too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:57 am 

Atlanta is horrible and so is Dallas.

Charlotte was marginally OK.

Vegas was a hell hole last time I flew through there.

Denver has a really bad funk to it and feels dirty when I fly through.

Huh.....I just generally hate airports.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:47 am 

I'm surprised no one has said anything about Newark International.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:56 am 

Willton wrote:
I'm surprised no one has said anything about Newark International.

Funnily enough I was just about to!
After direct flights from London Gatwick (pleasantly laid out but always very packed) to Pittsburgh (vast empty spaces - nice Irish bar) ceased, I always chose to fly to and from Newark (love the elevated railway) rather than JFK (ghastly) and Heathrow (BA flights meant use of the relatively uncluttered Terminal 4).
I, too, have had bad experiences (once with over-zealous immigration officers) at Philadelphia, where you seem to have to walk miles when changing flights.
Most international airports are much-of-a-muchness in which I include Paris,Toronto, and Chicago - you just want to get out of them as soon as possible.
Arnold Palmer Airport at Latrobe is fun for a limited range of internal flights - you can even park your car for free!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:14 am 

As bad as Philly and Atlanta Hartsfield indubitably are, Detroit-Wayne Co. trumps all for sheer crapitude.

Amsterdam Schipol is without a doubt the most pleasant airport I've spent time in. Barajas-Madrid isn't bad, and neither is O'Hare.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am 

Although 90% of my flights throughout this world have been through USAF bases, I found Chicago O'Hare to be the worst layover option known to man. During the winter months, I avoid it like the plague.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:04 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
Although 90% of my flights throughout this world have been through USAF bases, I found Chicago O'Hare to be the worst layover option known to man. During the winter months, I avoid it like the plague.

Have you spent time at the wonderful Al Udeid PAX terminal?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm 

Worst: Vancouver, British Columbia; de Gaulle (Paris); Boston Logan; Toussaint l'Ouverture in Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Best: gotta agree with AZ -- Sky Harbor in Phoenix, followed by Tampa International

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:28 pm 

No, but we did pull into UAE in the middle of the night and they were pretty pissed at us and refused to refuel the C-17 or let us into the terminal. After a pretty heated exchange from our OIC they reluctantly obliged us. I can still remember the angry faces as we exchanged "pleasantries" with some of their security team.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:31 pm 

Tampa International is very comfortable, Ft. Lauderdale International isn't bad...

I spent quite a bit of time on the roof of Boston's Logan Airport and on the international side, doing some "work," its not too bad over there. But over in the regular terminals its busy and unattractive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:57 pm 

I've been in very few airports as an adult, but I must say that my short experience at Austin-Bergstrom Int'l was quite pleasant. Plenty of commerce in case you get bored, and most of it comprises businesses local to Austin. I've only flown in and out of Austin once, so I'm not the best judge, but I can't really say anything bad about the place.

Newark Int'l is a toss-up for me. I've heard many people complain of delayed flights from Newark, but I've yet to experience one such instance. I also gotta love the fact that it's accessible by train and has a monorail from long-term parking to the terminals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:26 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Worst: Vancouver, British Columbia; de Gaulle (Paris); Boston Logan; Toussaint l'Ouverture in Port-au-Prince, Haiti

Best: gotta agree with AZ -- Sky Harbor in Phoenix, followed by Tampa International

Bob, I am shocked you have Vancouver on your worst list. Perhaps they have just fixed it up in preparation for the Olympics? I found the airport to be very nice, no delays, well laid out. My only complaint would be that it is 30 minutes from downtown.

And, to conclude my story, I got out this morning on a flight to New Haven, which had to abort its landing at the VERY last second. We were then diverted to an airstrip in Stewart, NY, put on a bus- a SCHOOL BUS- and driven to New Haven- a 2.5 hour drive.

Moral of the story- never fly US Airways.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:01 pm 

I don't think I ever spent more than 30 minutes inside Sky Harbor.

It was always jump off of the prop plane from Tucson and run to the next connection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:01 am 

Airports?? What the hell are they???

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:35 pm 

LAX and JFK are always wayyyy to crowded, its horrible..

Ya gotta love Pittsburgh, Phoenix and Charlotte.
I always find myself in Charlotte because its the main US Airways hub, its one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:49 pm 

neworlbush25 wrote:
LAX and JFK are always wayyyy to crowded, its horrible..

Ya gotta love Pittsburgh, Phoenix and Charlotte.
I always find myself in Charlotte because its the main US Airways hub, its one of my favorites.

Pittsburgh is nice besides baggage claim. I hate where it is located at and there are always way more people there than there are seats, and alot of older people are left standing and waiting for 30+ minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

My Stinkers:
Dallas is pretty damn terrible. Slowwwwww tram system and flights are usually prone to delays.

Denver is a pain because it's roughly 20 miles east of the city limits. Locals deal with it, but I can see how it can be frustrating for a visitor. "Yay..I'm on vacation in Denver! Let's get off the plane and see.... oh.... we're in Kansas".

Cleveland is pretty much a hellhole...but that applies to pretty much everything in Cleveland.

Ft. Lauderdale. Seems run down, always seems to have construction, and I don't like how they have big ol' security machines right in front of the check-in desks.

My Smell Gooders
Sarasota was pretty small and had an easy in and out system.

I know some folks HATE San Diego's airport, but I've found it quite effective and easy during the visits I've had. Plus, you're right IN the city. I also like how they have a curfew with no flights from 10pm-6am.

I like Tampa, too. Easy to get around and they have Chick-Fil-A restaurants. It's right next to the Yankees complex, as a bonus. Westbound roads out of the airport can be tricky, though.

Austin. Just because it's relatively new and they have a "King of the Hill' display in one concourse.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 pm 

eStragand wrote:
Cleveland is pretty much a hellhole...but that applies to pretty much everything in Cleveland.

This man speaks the truth!!!

Also, your reference to several airports in FLA reminded me of Miami, which is a pretty run down, disorganized airport.