Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just shows you
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 pm 

I feel for you Ollie. Things have a way of working themselves out though, and I am sure you will find your way.

The slots parlor in Pittsburgh is hiring 1000 people, if you want to move. I'm tempted to go apply there myself but I have it too good getting paid to sit here in my living room.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I feel for you Ollie. Things have a way of working themselves out though, and I am sure you will find your way.

The slots parlor in Pittsburgh is hiring 1000 people, if you want to move. I'm tempted to go apply there myself but I have it too good getting paid to sit here in my living room.

Do you work from home Ralphie or do you get paid by the state?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:31 am 

Thanks! You guys are great.

My wife has a stable job so we can't move. She does background checks for hiring companies. Let me know if you ever wanna look up someone's personal history.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:19 am 

Ollie wrote:
Thanks! You guys are great.

My wife has a stable job so we can't move. She does background checks for hiring companies. Let me know if you ever wanna look up someone's personal history.

I've been background checked so much and so deep that I came away feeling violated. :shock: Investigators know what flavor toothpaste I use... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm 

Colin, I work from home. Not that I'm too proud to take a check from the governement if they wanted to give me one...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:55 am 

Ollie- what a shame. I feel for you and am sure that I don't know what you are going through because I never had to go through this stuff.

I think you need to look at your assets and it sounds like family is your anchor. A caring wife has always been a huge help to me and it sounds like you have that going for you. Members of this board are also concerned for you and maybe that helps a little in knowing you have a support group with you.

It's very troubling that good people get bad things happening to them without any cause. If you weren't a reliable employee, or didn't care about your responsibilities toward your employer, then it might be understanable. Obviously not the case with you. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Key here is that it's not your fault that this happened. You didn't fail and in fact looks to me like you were very good at your job. Don't question your own worth, you and your wife know better.

It always bothers me that these folks who make these calls have little knowledge of or care for those that they let go. Somehow many either can't explain well their decision making process or have not the guts to level with people. Many times they just don't know what they're doing.

The good news is that you have some time with unemployment and her job, to overcome this set back. And you seem to be the kind of person who will get it together and find your way.

Hang in there and keep this board deversion going to help you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 am 

Thanks, sub.

It's just so weird being home all the time. I feel so helpless. I look for work and there's just nothing. The temp agencies have nothing. I'll collect unemployment for at least six months anyway. I miss my co-workers a lot!

In the meantime I'm losing interest in MLB and that's kinda sad. I fully expect the Pirates to have a winning record this year just because I am ignoring them. I've been studying college football players for the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:07 pm 

Ollie

I was canned from a job when I worked in the Civil Engineering business. Companies were all cutting back and firms that had openings were leary of hiring me because I was over qualified for what they were looking for. At that time we had no kids, my wife was working so it was not the end of the world. However, I hated getting up with no job to go to. Through a network of friends and past co workers, I found a temp job with a small minority Engineering firm and in the meantime through a contact, knew I had a better job that would be available in about four months. I could have moved away(was in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex)like many of my fellow laid off friends did. After a few more years in that business I changed careers and moved back to Pgh.
Keep an open mind and dont give up and try to find some work to do(even if its doing yard work for under the table money)
Consider another line of work even if you have to take a step back and a pay cut to make more money or be happier in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:46 pm 

estrago, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am seeing that it's not the end of the world. I was depressed for a couple of weeks but have since enjoyed being home.. spending more time with my wife.

After working all those years I'm getting $249 a week for unemployment. My brother makes about that right now working in a fast food place (niether he or I have any real skills to speak of.) Coupled with my wife's job it's enough to stay ahead of the bills.

In the meantime my wife suggested I take a month off to visit her family. I'd take my daughter with me. She found cheap airfare to the Philippines online. I'm considering it. They haven't seen me in nine years.. have seen their grandchild only twice.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:30 am 

Ollie wrote:
estrago, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am seeing that it's not the end of the world. I was depressed for a couple of weeks but have since enjoyed being home.. spending more time with my wife.

After working all those years I'm getting $249 a week for unemployment. My brother makes about that right now working in a fast food place (niether he or I have any real skills to speak of.) Coupled with my wife's job it's enough to stay ahead of the bills.

In the meantime my wife suggested I take a month off to visit her family. I'd take my daughter with me. She found cheap airfare to the Philippines online. I'm considering it. They haven't seen me in nine years.. have seen their grandchild only twice.

You do what you think is best but when I was canned, I canceled a vacation. I would not have had a good time and could not justify spending the money.
You say you have no real skills? I doubt that. Being a hard worker and willing to learn can go a long way. You need to learn a new skill or keep working hard to find work similar to what you did