All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just shows you
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:35 am 

Don't judge a book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Post subject: Re: Just shows you
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:59 am 

bucco boy wrote:

When she walked out i was thinking it was going to be like William Hung all over again.
I liked what Simon said when he said i knew when you walked out here that we were going to hear something special.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:42 am 

bucco boy, thanks so much for posting this.

I was layed off yesterday.. been feeling sorry for myself all day and night. This made me feel better. Life seems crappy and hopeless at times but there's still so much beauty in it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:02 am 

Ollie wrote:

I was layed off yesterday.. been feeling sorry for myself all day and night. This made me feel better. Life seems crappy and hopeless at times but there's still so much beauty in it.

I'm very sorry to hear you got laid off yesterday Ollie. Do you have any future career plans yet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:47 am 

Sorry to hear that Ollie. Hang in there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:34 am 

Ollie wrote:

Tough one, Ollie. Things are turning around so keep your head up.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:58 am 

Thanks, fellers..

Next Wednesday would've been my 24th anniversary. 24 years. Seniority counted for nothing. Of the twelve let go nobody else had as much time as me. A few had over fifteen.

We knew something was up when a supervisor came out and started taking workers one by one to the office. After the first four I had no feeling I would be one of them. I was the only assembly order puller in the entire plant (150 employees at Tuthill Coupling Group, Berea, Ohio.) I was the only assigned leak tester for military jet couplings for General Electric. When that guy came and got me.. surprise isn't the word.. I was flabbergasted. I didn't even get mad for a while because I was just stunned. Others told me the same thing.

Today I am wondering how the hell they're getting by without me. Assemblers run out of work when I am not there. Seriously nobody besides me knows where all components are located. We don't have a normal stockroom. Locations of components are not arranged in any order whatsoever (horribly managed and maintained factory.) They will really be in a bind.

I only missed one day in 24 years and that was because of a blizzard. I never called off, worked even when I was sick. For the last ten years I didn't take any full vacation days.. only half day vacations as the assembly department falls apart if I miss a day, so I was there every working day of the year. I earned $13.43 an hour after all those years.

My co-workers were just as stunned. Nobody could believe it. The women there love me to death (men refuse to do assembly work there because workers are payed little and treated like crap.. told they can't go to the bathroom, they can't talk to anybody during work hours, quotas are ridiculously beyond reach, etc.) Some were in tears. At least I won't have any problem coming up with a long list of references.

I put together a long laundry list of things I need to do. I called the unemployment office. Here it is all done by phone.

It is a strange feeling.. it's in the back of my mind at all times. My wife has been great, so caring. My eight year old daughter doesn't fully grasp the situation.

Lately I've been obsessed with who the Lions would take in the draft (God, please not Matt Stafford) and how will Ian Snell pitch this year, etc. Now none of it means anything. Overnight our lives were dramatically changed. I think I can rebuild myself mentally, adapt to the situation.. but the fear of the unknown is terrifying. Following sports should help some in time.

Az, I hope you'll keep your job. I pray that all you guys can avoid such a situation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:08 am 

Hey Ollie, hang in there friend. It sounds to me that your previous employer was clearly taking advantage of you. Maybe this situation is to clear you up for a better opportunity. You've got to believe that.

I like to think that we are a better forum community because we care about each other, if you need anything let me know. If you can, stick around and talk through everything, it may help ease some of the fears. This is a large community and I am sure plenty of experience and knowledge is readily available.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:30 am 

Well Ollie i wish you the best and i believe you won't have much trouble finding a good job with a resume like that. 24 years is the hardest thing to let go, but i agree with Piratefan that they were taking advantage of you and your loyalty for $13.43 an hour. I'm sure you will be able to find a good job close to you where you will be able to get $16 or more an hour. I don't know the area where you live in Ohio but if it is anything like around here there are plenty of plants that would love to have somebody with your attitude, knowledge, and experience in a 15 mile radius. I hope it is the same for you out there and i hope everyone can be here for you through this speedbump along the road.
My best wishes go out to you and your family my friend!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:48 am 

Sorry to hear the bad news Ollie,

I understand fully...to help some of the business ventures I got in over the past year I took a job 2 months ago working as a TSS (therapeutic support staff) with an Autistic child again...Bad part was I was driving an hour to work in the morning then an hour to the child's house after school to work with him and then an hour home...They started paying me mileage when I started and stopped it 2 weeks ago, so I quit...

I'd be better off working McDonalds at $8 an hour than I would be after all the extra travel and hours put in...

Of course it wasnt the best decision to make considering I owe Uncle Sam a nice chunk of change...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 pm 

I feel for you Ollie. Things have a way of working themselves out though, and I am sure you will find your way.

The slots parlor in Pittsburgh is hiring 1000 people, if you want to move. I'm tempted to go apply there myself but I have it too good getting paid to sit here in my living room.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:28 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I feel for you Ollie. Things have a way of working themselves out though, and I am sure you will find your way.

The slots parlor in Pittsburgh is hiring 1000 people, if you want to move. I'm tempted to go apply there myself but I have it too good getting paid to sit here in my living room.

Do you work from home Ralphie or do you get paid by the state?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:31 am 

Thanks! You guys are great.

My wife has a stable job so we can't move. She does background checks for hiring companies. Let me know if you ever wanna look up someone's personal history.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:19 am 

Ollie wrote:
Thanks! You guys are great.

My wife has a stable job so we can't move. She does background checks for hiring companies. Let me know if you ever wanna look up someone's personal history.

I've been background checked so much and so deep that I came away feeling violated. :shock: Investigators know what flavor toothpaste I use... :D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:58 pm 

Colin, I work from home. Not that I'm too proud to take a check from the governement if they wanted to give me one...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:55 am 

Ollie- what a shame. I feel for you and am sure that I don't know what you are going through because I never had to go through this stuff.

I think you need to look at your assets and it sounds like family is your anchor. A caring wife has always been a huge help to me and it sounds like you have that going for you. Members of this board are also concerned for you and maybe that helps a little in knowing you have a support group with you.

It's very troubling that good people get bad things happening to them without any cause. If you weren't a reliable employee, or didn't care about your responsibilities toward your employer, then it might be understanable. Obviously not the case with you. Sometimes it just doesn't make sense. Key here is that it's not your fault that this happened. You didn't fail and in fact looks to me like you were very good at your job. Don't question your own worth, you and your wife know better.

It always bothers me that these folks who make these calls have little knowledge of or care for those that they let go. Somehow many either can't explain well their decision making process or have not the guts to level with people. Many times they just don't know what they're doing.

The good news is that you have some time with unemployment and her job, to overcome this set back. And you seem to be the kind of person who will get it together and find your way.

Hang in there and keep this board deversion going to help you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:31 am 

Thanks, sub.

It's just so weird being home all the time. I feel so helpless. I look for work and there's just nothing. The temp agencies have nothing. I'll collect unemployment for at least six months anyway. I miss my co-workers a lot!

In the meantime I'm losing interest in MLB and that's kinda sad. I fully expect the Pirates to have a winning record this year just because I am ignoring them. I've been studying college football players for the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:07 pm 

Ollie

I was canned from a job when I worked in the Civil Engineering business. Companies were all cutting back and firms that had openings were leary of hiring me because I was over qualified for what they were looking for. At that time we had no kids, my wife was working so it was not the end of the world. However, I hated getting up with no job to go to. Through a network of friends and past co workers, I found a temp job with a small minority Engineering firm and in the meantime through a contact, knew I had a better job that would be available in about four months. I could have moved away(was in the Dallas/Ft Worth Metroplex)like many of my fellow laid off friends did. After a few more years in that business I changed careers and moved back to Pgh.
Keep an open mind and dont give up and try to find some work to do(even if its doing yard work for under the table money)
Consider another line of work even if you have to take a step back and a pay cut to make more money or be happier in a few years.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:46 pm 

estrago, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am seeing that it's not the end of the world. I was depressed for a couple of weeks but have since enjoyed being home.. spending more time with my wife.

After working all those years I'm getting $249 a week for unemployment. My brother makes about that right now working in a fast food place (niether he or I have any real skills to speak of.) Coupled with my wife's job it's enough to stay ahead of the bills.

In the meantime my wife suggested I take a month off to visit her family. I'd take my daughter with me. She found cheap airfare to the Philippines online. I'm considering it. They haven't seen me in nine years.. have seen their grandchild only twice.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:30 am 

Ollie wrote:
estrago, thanks for the words of encouragement. I am seeing that it's not the end of the world. I was depressed for a couple of weeks but have since enjoyed being home.. spending more time with my wife.

After working all those years I'm getting $249 a week for unemployment. My brother makes about that right now working in a fast food place (niether he or I have any real skills to speak of.) Coupled with my wife's job it's enough to stay ahead of the bills.

In the meantime my wife suggested I take a month off to visit her family. I'd take my daughter with me. She found cheap airfare to the Philippines online. I'm considering it. They haven't seen me in nine years.. have seen their grandchild only twice.

You do what you think is best but when I was canned, I canceled a vacation. I would not have had a good time and could not justify spending the money.
You say you have no real skills? I doubt that. Being a hard worker and willing to learn can go a long way. You need to learn a new skill or keep working hard to find work similar to what you did