Proud fans of a 131-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:08 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phantom of the Opera……….
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:18 pm 

So Mrs. AZBF tricks me into going over to ASU Gammage Auditorium to see the broadway cast of Phantom of the Opera, or just Phantom to the theater folks…..well I figured out that the Phantom lived in this theater and was pissed because of new owners. Then he outed himself to the understudy and wants her to have the part which she didn't get. So now he is really pissed. Then the lights went up and I asked the guy next to me if it was over. He said no, intermission. Mrs. AZBF looks at me and says this is really boring, do you wanna go? I take the high road and say only if she wants. She wants and we leave and have a good laugh. You cannot understand anything they are saying while singing in those operatic voices so dialogue is non existent. I can't do opera. Would rather get a sharp stick in the eye…I was impressed with how the stage setup/scenery was done and changed…best part for me..I will take a live band in a hot bar anyway…. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Phantom of the Opera……….
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:12 pm 

Reminds me of the time a girlfriend took me to the symphony. You're not allowed to talk, move around, or even look around. You just have to sit there like you're in church, and clap when everyone else claps. And I didn't like the music.

The worst part was that you were supposed to idolize the conductor like a Korean idolizes Jung Il Kim. Where's the big talent in waving your arms around in time to the music? I didn't get it at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:32 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
So Mrs. AZBF tricks me into going over to ASU Gammage Auditorium to see the broadway cast of Phantom of the Opera, or just Phantom to the theater folks…..well I figured out that the Phantom lived in this theater and was pissed because of new owners. Then he outed himself to the understudy and wants her to have the part which she didn't get. So now he is really pissed. Then the lights went up and I asked the guy next to me if it was over. He said no, intermission. Mrs. AZBF looks at me and says this is really boring, do you wanna go? I take the high road and say only if she wants. She wants and we leave and have a good laugh. You cannot understand anything they are saying while singing in those operatic voices so dialogue is non existent. I can't do opera. Would rather get a sharp stick in the eye…I was impressed with how the stage setup/scenery was done and changed…best part for me..I will take a live band in a hot bar anyway…. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrew Lloyd Weber's Phantom? Lyrics matter most to me, partly because I am tone deaf, and I have great trouble with lyrics in general, but I can understand a broadway singer much better than I can a bar band. I do prefer Broadway and show tunes in general, but I will agree that Phantom is boring as the genre goes...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Reminds me of the time a girlfriend took me to the symphony. You're not allowed to talk, move around, or even look around. You just have to sit there like you're in church, and clap when everyone else claps. And I didn't like the music.

The worst part was that you were supposed to idolize the conductor like a Korean idolizes Jung Il Kim. Where's the big talent in waving your arms around in time to the music? I didn't get it at all.

Well, the symphony is a formal entertainment, as opposed to a ball game. And just like a business meeting is going to be different with your co-workers than with the big boss around, the symphony has different norms than arena sports.

As for the conductor, I don't think you are "supposed" to idolize the conductor per se, but do you revere or admire Andrew McCutchen for instance? This is the same. The conductor of a major symphony is at the absolute top of his game, and I say "his" because this is still a pretty sexist world and most conductors are still men. As for what he does, well, he may direct an orchestra with between 50 and 90 instruments and 30 of them may have to stop playing on the same beat. At the same fraction of a second. And on the next beat, 30 different instruments may have to start up, again, in unison. And you better believe that there will be hundreds of people in that audience who can hear if that precision isn't attained. Much like you might be able to tell after a couple of swings whether Cutch has a hitch in his swing.