Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: David Brooks -- Money for idiots
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:34 pm 

As many of you know, David Brooks is a widely published author and journalist. He is often a guest on Tv talk shows. He has written often about the countries issues.

I find him to be a very credible voice who seems genuinely interested in solutions and not promoting a political ideology. I agree with much of his thought and think you might also. So, you probably guess that he's a left wing irresponsible journalist based on my previous postings which are not to the right in the political spectrum. He is in fact a moderate republican (if there is such an animal).

There is an op-ed by him today in the New York Times that is exactly the way I see this economic mess. Sorry, I'm not able to post the link cause I don't know how, but if you go to the free NY Times and enter Brooks in their window his articles including Money for Idiots will come up.
it was written 02/19/09

Post subject: Re: David Brooks -- Money for idiots
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:27 pm 

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/20/opini ... oks&st=cse

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 pm 

Thanks BB--- I hope some of you read and respond.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:11 pm 

S E C

Secluding Evil Cooporations

Deregulation. Financial companies wanted it. Pushed for it, bought politicians for it and the result is a financial meltdown caused by greed to the X power. The amount of risks that were taken with a total joke of regulation and oversight is a F'n crime. To add insult to injury, the greedy bastards that took the risks get golden parachutes.

Here is a quote from the movie Wall Street
Quote:
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal....Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

It is true. There is a small percentage of people with money and power in business and politics and they call the shots. They live in a different world with a different perspective and they dont give a shtt about anything or anyone except for their exclusive world. I have seen it all too often.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:42 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Somebody name me a nation, empire, or... anything, in the history of the world where "greed" wasn't a factor.

Greed is, always will be. Greed needs to be focused to an area that will be productiveand useful to society. To blame "greed" for a downfall is to look for a scapegoat, and ignore the policies that did not focus it toward a useful end.

To that idea, I note that not one legislatore was noted by Brooks, though most certainly the cause of most of this is governmental incentives driving the "greedy" to do what they do.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:46 am 

estrago wrote:
S E C

Secluding Evil Cooporations

Deregulation. Financial companies wanted it. Pushed for it, bought politicians for it and the result is a financial meltdown caused by greed to the X power. The amount of risks that were taken with a total joke of regulation and oversight is a F'n crime. To add insult to injury, the greedy bastards that took the risks get golden parachutes.

Here is a quote from the movie Wall Street
Quote:
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bullshit. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal....Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?

It is true. There is a small percentage of people with money and power in business and politics and they call the shots. They live in a different world with a different perspective and they dont give a shtt about anything or anyone except for their exclusive world. I have seen it all too often.

And without those "greedy bastards" you'd be living in Rwanada right now.