Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chavez wins vote to scrap term limits
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm 

And how am I an extremist? What have I said to invoke claims that I am an extremist? Is it because I don't support any of your Liberal, I'm sorry, moderate views?

What exactly makes you a moderate? Virtually everything that you and I have discussed has seen you on the Liberal path. Exactly what conservative belief do you stand behind that would equalize the leftist beliefs that encompass your arguments?

I am sure your not too offended about being called a "professional liar," frankly it pays well and can be very empowering. Even though lawyers don't lie, they tend to bend the truth and facts to help sell their position. Am I right? I just see much of that through your arguments, hey, but that is ok. Debating with you is challenging and educational, and if you have some malice or dislike for me, that is your problem, not mine. I don't dislike you at all, but I do dislike much of your views.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:15 pm 

Guys, attack the argument, not the person.

Have a good day. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:06 pm 

Piratefan13 wrote:
And how am I an extremist? What have I said to invoke claims that I am an extremist? Is it because I don't support any of your Liberal, I'm sorry, moderate views?

Well, advocating torture certainly seems to me to be extremist. Blaming the media for everything that's wrong in this world appears to me to be extremist. Accusing our current president of treason appears to me to be extremist. Thinking that I want to place the rights of criminals above those of civilians appears to me to be extremist. Thinking that liberals despise the Constitution appears to me to be extremist. Thinking that I want to promote socialsim seems to me to be extremist. Shall I go on?

Quote:
What exactly makes you a moderate? Virtually everything that you and I have discussed has seen you on the Liberal path. Exactly what conservative belief do you stand behind that would equalize the leftist beliefs that encompass your arguments?

Well, free market economics and the 2nd Amendment, for starters. But I don't have time to go into a diatribe about my political beliefs; you'll just have to see how they manifest themselves as we discuss stuff.

Quote:
I am sure your not too offended about being called a "professional liar," frankly it pays well and can be very empowering. Even though lawyers don't lie, they tend to bend the truth and facts to help sell their position. Am I right? I just see much of that through your arguments, hey, but that is ok. Debating with you is challenging and educational, and if you have some malice or dislike for me, that is your problem, not mine. I don't dislike you at all, but I do dislike much of your views.

I do not harbor any dislike for you personally. However, I do have a problem with the way you present your arguments. You present them as if they are infallible and treat anything that is contrary to your argument as completely wrong-headed, as if it would be absolutely insane to hold such an opinion. I also get tired of you distorting opposing arguments to say things that are not being said. That's not how people have intelligent discussion.

If I sound angry or demeaning in any way, I'm sorry, but I often feel like I have to speak like that because I'm getting the same type of discourse from the other side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:51 pm 

I do have to add that I have a lot of friends who would pee themselves laughing at the thought of me being a conservative.

Have a great day.