Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So.... We're Putting Our Dog Down....
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 pm 

Attachment:
District 1 Easton-20140519-00041.jpg
District 1 Easton-20140519-00041.jpg [ 115.48 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]
Sigh.

Raven is 16 and we've had her for 12 years. She started slowing down about a year ago, her hind legs started giving her problems 4 months ago, two weeks ago she stopped eating (for all intents and purposes) and as of Thursday, she could no longer stand. We made the decision it was time on Friday and the vet is coming to our house in about three hours. I've had a mental clock in my head, counting down the hours all weekend, and now that the moment is Oh-so-close, it feels like a fvcking execution. Oh, I know it is time. But I almost want to get stuck at work and miss the deed.

About a year ago, we discussed with our daughter where we would bury Raven. She never spent any time in the backyard, she's a Rottweiler - Beagle mix and we discovered early on that she could clear a 6' fence. So we never fenced the back yard, and she was a runner. We always assumed we would cremate her. But on Friday, Mary mentioned burying her in the front flower bed, right under the bay window that was her favorite perch. And damn, that seemed right. So yesterday afternoon, I dug her grave. There is absolutely nothing that can prepare you, or me at least, for digging a grave for a loved one. One of the very hardest things I have ever had to do.

I know lots of people who consider their dog or cat to be more than that, more than just a member of the family, but equate them with their kids. I have kids, and while I love Raven, she is not my child. But as the inevitability of her passing has settle down on my family, I cannot imagine a sadder time. Today really sucks.

Farewell Raven.

Post subject: Re: So.... We're Putting Our Dog Down....
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:14 pm 

I know your pain, Val. Had to do the same thing to my Beagle-Border Collie mix last year. Also put two dogs down before that in about a 4 year span, but Annie was the toughest. My situation was very similar as yours. I was carrying her around for four months. To take her outside, up and down our stairs. Didn't mind it once. But eventually, she was just getting to bad. The thing about it was that there wasn't much wrong with her besides that although she might have had cancer as there were some symptoms of it.

And I agree about the execution. I will not get any more pets because I still have nightmares about it. The companionship is very rewarding, but to me, it's not worth the ending any more. Maybe I will change as time goes by. I still have one more at home, but he will probably be around another 5 years at least.

RIP Raven and I miss you Annie...

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:51 am 
 WWW  Profile

Thoughts and prayers val. I have a little 10 pound shih-tzu that has been my best friend through a marriage, divorce, four moves, and countless other experiences. She's six years old and I am dreading the day where she is no longer with me. I wish you nothing but the best val.

November 29, 2014 11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:29 pm 

So sorry to hear, had to have my border collie "Bailey" put down the last day of February. Had renal failure. The hardest thing I had to do. Had other dogs, but they seem to die on there own. Had to take him to the vet and was done in the back of my car. Very humane, but ripped my heart out, still have a hard time talking about him. I feel your pain, just remember the good time you had together.

Thanks for you post, thought I was one of the few that feel like you do.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:51 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Thoughts and prayers val. I have a little 10 pound shih-tzu that has been my best friend through a marriage, divorce, four moves, and countless other experiences. She's six years old and I am dreading the day where she is no longer with me. I wish you nothing but the best val.

Karma rocks!

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 am 

OK, I lied. The hardest thing I've had to do is make the drive home after work, knowing that Raven would be there and that the vet would be there 10 minutes later.

Actually, I was surprised at how easy it was. I'm guessing Raven passed in about 5 seconds. And while I initially loved the idea of Raven being in our front flower bed, my eyes are glued to spot each time I walk in the door. I've started leaving the house from the side door.

Oh, and like buccoboy, I had my first nightmare in 30 years about Raven. Hoping that I don't have too many more...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:40 pm 

My dog as a boy was named Rusty. He got loose and apparently ate some poison that a neighbor had out, probably for groundhogs. He was acting a little strange Saturday night but we thought maybe he'd be better on Sunday. Sunday morning rolled around and it was obvious he wouldn't be. We didn't take him to the vet because that wasn't my dad's style. That ended up being one of the most horrible days of my life. I don't think I'll ever forget the agony he suffered. Luckily he was with the ones who loved him.

My wife and I had to put her Jack Russell down when he was 17. I believe he had renal failure. When we got to the vet's office, they told us it would take 2 shots to put him down. The first was just to kind of knock him out. He never needed the second one. He was ready to go.

All-in-all putting them down is easier, I think, than what I experienced with Rusty. Either way it rips your heart out and you always wish you could have done more/could have had some more time with them. It's an unbelievable hurtful feeling.

I'm sorry for your loss. Just seeing the pictures makes me remember the ones I had and lost.