Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6127
Location: Keystone State
omgardd wrote:
Whatever. I don't care one way or the other. However it is censoring another's point of view just because it is an opposing one. It's not like the guy was posting spam.


Nobody views are being censored. If that was the case, wouldn't you be gone if you were anti-management? There is an expected behavior on this board. That is why people are shown the door. It doesn't happen often. But it is the decision of the moderators to do what they feel what is right. Free speech does not apply to this board. It is a private board that we can run as we see fit.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 am
Posts: 1491
The moderator has a right to ban anyone as it's his board. I disagree with the decision. Anybody here could have ignored Bullish's posts. True, he can be a jerk, but he livened up things around here on occasion, and he was one poster who wasn't too cool to talk to me. I'm more put off by posters who have ignored me personally because I don't know as much about the game and behind the scenes stuff. I enjoy watching Pirates baseball. I still support the team and would go to games and buy jerseys if I had any money.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:32 pm
Posts: 3173
Location: Darlington, Pennsylvania
Sorry to put an off topic question out there but i thought somebody here might know.someone close 2 me is running a scam on ebay where they list items and they have 2 names and they outbid the people that bid on their items from their second name to make the price go way up.Is there anyway they could see that that person is the same person and doing it from the same computer.cause this person could be in some reeeeeeeal trouble if they can?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:09 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
Colin21 wrote:
Sorry to put an off topic question out there but i thought somebody here might know.someone close 2 me is running a scam on ebay where they list items and they have 2 names and they outbid the people that bid on their items from their second name to make the price go way up.Is there anyway they could see that that person is the same person and doing it from the same computer.cause this person could be in some reeeeeeeal trouble if they can?


Short answer: yes.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:48 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
Not defending Bull and glad he's gone, but I'm not at all for banning people who simply disagree. It seems to me that the constant same argument is not acceptable behavior on any board. They appear to be just intended to upset everyone ... over and over with the same thing.

I do hope that the power to exclude people be used sparingly, because I think we need to keep an atmosphere that is condusive to all opinions even if they are way out in most people's minds.

In other words, I think you should have the right to post your thoughts even though you are wrong.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:57 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3559
Location: Economy, PA
We basically have free speech on this board. Disagreement will not get you banned. It is a normal part of the discourse. Ad nauseum repetitve posting by itself will not get you banned.

What got bullish banned was the extreme repetitive posting combined with an extremely antagonistic tone. He made you hate him, on purpose, and he seriously degraded the quality of the board, on purpose.

In short, he was (is) a troll.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7233
Substitute2 wrote:
Not defending Bull and glad he's gone, but I'm not at all for banning people who simply disagree. It seems to me that the constant same argument is not acceptable behavior on any board. They appear to be just intended to upset everyone ... over and over with the same thing.

I do hope that the power to exclude people be used sparingly, because I think we need to keep an atmosphere that is condusive to all opinions even if they are way out in most people's minds.

In other words, I think you should have the right to post your thoughts even though you are wrong.



I've been around since 2005 and this is the 1st I remember anyone getting banned...

Its one thing to have a disagreement of opinions but theres a line where you're just trying to stir everyone up just to get your jollies and throw out the insults, but he was the 1st to complain about the name calling when it was given back to him...

Where was he during a 4 or 5 game winning streak? He wasnt here talking bashing ownership or anyone, but once a 5 game losing streak started he was here all the time...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:11 pm
Posts: 3364
Location: Wheeling, WV
So, if I look up troll in the dictionary, I would see a picture of Bull?

Always nice to keep up on vocabulary enhancements.

_________________
2011 Will Be Our Year -- well make that 2012 (just saying) So it looks like 2013 now - how long must this go on!
THIS IS IT-- NO MORE STREAK!!! *** Finally*** Time to win it in 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4139
Location: Zelienople, PA
nad69dan wrote:
... I've been around since 2005 and this is the 1st I remember anyone getting banned...


Newbie.

Ah, for the days of Gary and VOR.... aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.

Those were the days when there was only one apologist on this board according to board consensus... and that was me.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:35 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:30 pm
Posts: 6200
LOL ZM. Gary made these guys look like Tinkerbell.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:51 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 am
Posts: 758
So Bullish Hitter was banned because a mod says he is a troll. Read this:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-internet-troll.htm

What was so offensive, controversial, or divisive?

If you read the board rules they state "not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country".
Does it say to ban someone because someone thinks they are a troll? What did BH write that violated those items listed above not to do? Because you dont like what they say(yes..over & over regarding the Pirates)? Bullish did not post only on one subject...read other sections of the board .You could put the person on ignore if you wanted. There was a poll where one of the mods wanted to ban BH and remember the results.....about 75% stated not to ban.
What would BH have to say if the Pirates started to win?

Quote:
There is an expected behavior on this board


Based on what?...

Many questions
any valid answers besides ...troll?
What about Elmer?

_________________
ImageImage


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
estrago wrote:
What would BH have to say if the Pirates started to win?


He'd say that they could be winning more games if Nutting wasn't skimming some of the profits, and the fans weren't allowing him to do so by enabling. Then he'd go post something about how great the Pens or the Steelers are in the "Other Sports" forum, and finally stop by the "Watering Hole" to let everyone know Frank Zappa is the greatest musician of all time, Jazz fusion doesn't suck, it just requires a higher level of intelligence to understand.

Did I miss anything?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:14 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
I say we keep the $50 and ban him anyways...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
BBF wrote:
I say we keep the $50 and ban him anyways...


:lol:

Dan you better trademark that phrase........


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:18 pm
Posts: 5060
Location: Scotch Plains, NJ
estrago wrote:
So Bullish Hitter was banned because a mod says he is a troll. Read this:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-internet-troll.htm

What was so offensive, controversial, or divisive?

If you read the board rules they state "not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country".
Does it say to ban someone because someone thinks they are a troll? What did BH write that violated those items listed above not to do? Because you dont like what they say(yes..over & over regarding the Pirates)? Bullish did not post only on one subject...read other sections of the board .You could put the person on ignore if you wanted. There was a poll where one of the mods wanted to ban BH and remember the results.....about 75% stated not to ban.
What would BH have to say if the Pirates started to win?

Quote:
There is an expected behavior on this board


Based on what?...

Many questions
any valid answers besides ...troll?
What about Elmer?

For someone claiming not to be BH, you certainly know a whole lot about his history here. Can you comment on the state of the Pirates at all?

_________________
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."
~H. L. Mencken


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7233
Argentum wrote:
BBF wrote:
I say we keep the $50 and ban him anyways...


:lol:

Dan you better trademark that phrase........


I've been working some on putting together an album, maybe that'll be the title name...

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6127
Location: Keystone State
He is still talking about himself in the third person. Hilarious.

Let me show everyone a little bit behind the scenes here at the UPPMB.
Quote:
Other users posting from this IP
bullishhitter [ 215 Posts ]


For those of you who might not understand what that means, it means the estrago has also posted under the same IP address as bullishhitter which means in computer terms "it's the same person."

:lol:

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:41 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:22 pm
Posts: 2495
I say we keep the $50 and ban him anyways...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:19 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:26 pm
Posts: 3006
bucco boy wrote:
He is still talking about himself in the third person. Hilarious.

Let me show everyone a little bit behind the scenes here at the UPPMB.
Quote:
Other users posting from this IP
bullishhitter [ 215 Posts ]


For those of you who might not understand what that means, it means the estrago has also posted under the same IP address as bullishhitter which means in computer terms "it's the same person."

:lol:


Also, I believe that if you look at the first post by estrago, you will find that it was a different IP address, from which BH had posted 102 times. A home computer and a work computer, I surmise. 2 people sharing 2 IP addresses? Highly, highly, HIGHLY unlikely.

Should we let him play his little game?

I say we ban him anyways...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Explanation needed about this boards tolerance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:01 pm
Posts: 7233
Maybe him and BH are sharing computers at work like Mayor Mystery and Elmer?

_________________
I say keep the $50 and ban him anyway...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits