Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Who's watching the inaguration?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am
I might watch some of it. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
I have to work. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
I already have my cold beer and pretzels ready. 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Re: Who's watching the inaguration?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:39 pm 

Why would terrorists walk across the border with illegals when they can just fly in with fake papers? My guess is they are a little further along than just coming across the desert with a gallon jug of water and some tortillas.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:43 am 

If there were really any terrorists here they would have been able to do something within the states by now. It's all propaganda drummed up by the elite to scare us into giving up our freedoms. I knew the very day 9-11 happened that it was an inside job. We're headed for a one world government, gentlemen. New bank notes (for our new currency) are being printed as we speak. In the meantime a devaluation of the American dollar is just around the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nD7dbkkBIA

Our debt more than doubled since Bush took office. His tax policies, massive tax cuts, etc. have reduced revenues and increased spending.. $5 trillion alone for bailout of Fanny May & Freddie Mac (I still don't know how those names are spelled!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQv7oNdAYhg <-- Is Dubya a failure? Depends on who you ask..

I went to one of Jello Biafra's spoken word tour several years back and he said it then. America is finished.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:47 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Ollie wrote:
If there were really any terrorists here they would have been able to do something within the states by now. It's all propaganda drummed up by the elite to scare us into giving up our freedoms. I knew the very day 9-11 happened that it was an inside job. We're headed for a one world government, gentlemen. New bank notes (for our new currency) are being printed as we speak. In the meantime a devaluation of the American dollar is just around the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nD7dbkkBIA

Our debt more than doubled since Bush took office. His tax policies, massive tax cuts, etc. have reduced revenues and increased spending.. $5 trillion alone for bailout of Fanny May & Freddie Mac (I still don't know how those names are spelled!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQv7oNdAYhg <-- Is Dubya a failure? Depends on who you ask..

I went to one of Jello Biafra's spoken word tour several years back and he said it then. America is finished.

Wow.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:36 pm 

Ok I think I"ve got it. We Americans are somewhat divided on a few issues like.... immagration for instance.

Probobly not the first subject for Obama to deal with if he's trying to get some unity of purpose and agreement in the good ol' USA.

I didn't want to suggest that we not have different opins on the issues of the day when I posted on page one of this wild ride. I wanted us to end the separation which has left us unable to get things done.

My views are to the left but I also believe in many centerist opinions. All of us need to begin to lower the decibal level a lttle and listen to the other guy some. BTW, that is clearly a flaw of mine which I am working on.

Right now, Obame can ram his ideas of spending through without Republican support. But he is today going to them in an attempt to get some more consensus by compromising. He has already moved in their direction, but if he does everything they want , we would have their philosophy in the White House again. Sorry, but they lost the election.

Rush says he wants Obama to fail and therefore will oppose all his ideas. Is that the best way to get out of this mess? Rush must want 4 years of gridlock and to hell with America. What an American hero he is! Sure is a great American who we should all emulate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:42 pm 

That Rush is a progressive thinker isn't he?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:05 pm 

mega- something or other to the Rush followers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:11 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
...and therefore will oppose all his ideas.

How dare he say that?! I mean, the democrats so CLEARLY supported all of Bush's ideas these past couple of years...

Listen, I don't want Obama to fail as a leader. But those ideas of his that I disagree with (bailout, immigration, social security and other entitlement programs, education, health care, foreign policy...) I will adamantly oppose them, and I will hope that they do not get passed.

That doesn't mean I want a divided America. It means I think Obama is wrong and that the "change" (TM) that he is advocating is bad for us.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:57 pm 

So,I guess it's fair to suggest that you didn't vote for Obama.

It has been suggested that the Republican southern strategy has seen better times and that without adjusting their thinking, they can not be accepted by the majority of Americans.

Example, Sarah Palin. If she's the next Republican candidate, Obame will be one happy candidate in 2012. The best way for him to be re-elected is to have the other party stick to it's same ways and she certainly represents that thinking the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:58 am 

Substitute2 wrote:
So,I guess it's fair to suggest that you didn't vote for Obama.

It has been suggested that the Republican southern strategy has seen better times and that without adjusting their thinking, they can not be accepted by the majority of Americans.

Example, Sarah Palin. If she's the next Republican candidate, Obame will be one happy candidate in 2012. The best way for him to be re-elected is to have the other party stick to it's same ways and she certainly represents that thinking the best.

Not sure if that was all directed at me or not, but if so, it was misdirected as I am not a republican. If they choose to nominate Palin as their next candidate, I will agree with you that it is a mistake. I think that for republicans to succeed, they have to realize that the Bible is not a governing document, and take some views that are not necessarily supported by the religious right. Instead, they need to return to being a party that stands for fiscally conservative views and small government.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:26 pm 

AH, we have found an area of complete agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:16 pm 

Willton wrote:
In the meantime Bush was not able to keep the country safe from natural disasters, or at least mitigate some of the damage therefrom. See Hurricane Katrina.

Hmmm, I suppose it would be considered impolite of me to note for the record that under President Obama, as of Saturday, FEMA had "50 to 100 generators" on the way to Kentucky, where tens of thousands of people have had no electricity since the ice storm that hit the state on . . . Tuesday. This, while Mr. Obama is photographed in shirt sleeves in the Oval Office because -- how did special adviser David Axelrod put it? Ah, yes -- "He likes it warm; you could grow orchids in there.” ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:46 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Willton wrote:
In the meantime Bush was not able to keep the country safe from natural disasters, or at least mitigate some of the damage therefrom. See Hurricane Katrina.

Hmmm, I suppose it would be considered impolite of me to note for the record that under President Obama, as of Saturday, FEMA had "50 to 100 generators" on the way to Kentucky, where tens of thousands of people have had no electricity since the ice storm that hit the state on . . . Tuesday. This, while Mr. Obama is photographed in shirt sleeves in the Oval Office because -- how did special adviser David Axelrod put it? Ah, yes -- "He likes it warm; you could grow orchids in there.” ;)

No, it would be considered irrelevant. What does an ice storm in Kentucky have to do with Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:54 pm 

Even more appropiate, we should ask what the temperature in the oval office has to do with an ice storm in Kentucky? Should the President open the windows and turn off the electricity in the White House so that he suffers like them?

That's a pretty silly implication made by you. We do expect him to make good solid decision unfettered by uncomfortable surroundings, don't we?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:04 pm 

What he should do here is back off some of the liberal agenda and only address those items which most solidly are stimulas. That does not mean the republiucan Party should define what is and is not stimulus.

Compromise is a the heart of good democracy in action. However, just giving in to those who won't accept change would be wrong. The list of items that BBF made covers almost everything domestically on the table. Somewhere,someone is going to have to tell them that their ideas lost badly in the last two elections and they shoould find ways to be more accommodating risk more loses in 2010. The ball is in their court. It's their party, and they can cry if they want to. (Sure did mix some medaphors there)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:35 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

It has everything to do, as defined by Dems during Bush's admin.

Of course, during Katrina, it was the system for the states to respond first and foremost. La failed, while Al and MS responded appropriately for the same degree of damage.

But, if the bar is now in an emergency (declared in KY) that it is the federal gov's job to bring expidious and effective relief in lieu of the states, then Bob's point is right on

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:29 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
It has everything to do, as defined by Dems during Bush's admin.

Of course, during Katrina, it was the system for the states to respond first and foremost. La failed, while Al and MS responded appropriately for the same degree of damage.

But, if the bar is now in an emergency (declared in KY) that it is the federal gov's job to bring expidious and effective relief in lieu of the states, then Bob's point is right on

ZM

ZM, FEMA has been around since the 80's, and it exists for a reason. If not to help states out in situations like Katrina, then what is FEMA supposed to do?

Bush declared a state of emergency for select regions of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama on August 27, 2005. Unfortunately, those select regions did not include the Louisiana coastline, an area that was most likely to be hit by Hurricane Katrina. This is curious since the Governor of Louisiana requested aid from the Federal Gov't for all of Louisiana's coastal parishes on the 26th. The Hurricane hit on the 29th and devastated those local parishes. Tell me: how much warning did the Federal Gov't need in order to respond effectively?

The levees that were supposed to protect the Southeastern coastline were built by the Federal Gov't. Tell me: who do you think should be responsible for their upkeep?

The Federal Gov't knew this was coming long before Katrina hit, and it did nothing to mitigate the damage that it should have known would eventually be caused to Louisiana's coastline. Please, tell me: how is this in any way similar to the Kentucky ice storm?

If you can't call Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina an unqualified disaster, then there's little reason for any of us to consider your opinion an objective one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:41 pm 

Substitute2 wrote:
Compromise is a the heart of good democracy in action. However, just giving in to those who won't accept change would be wrong. The list of items that BBF made covers almost everything domestically on the table. Somewhere,someone is going to have to tell them that their ideas lost badly in the last two elections and they shoould find ways to be more accommodating risk more loses in 2010. The ball is in their court. It's their party, and they can cry if they want to. (Sure did mix some medaphors there)

Jesus Christ you do a great job of raising my blood pressure.

First, the list of things I provided does cover most FISCAL issues on the table. I think you would find that I was as left-leaning as Barry (or even moreso) on most social issues, including gay marriage, abortion, ending the "war on drugs", and even legalization of prostitution.

And it seems by "Compromise" you mean that Republicans should just accept whatever it is that the Democrats want to do. It doesn't seem that there is much compromise on either side of the aisle. I certainly didn't see any efforts of compromise over the past 8 years by either side, just escalating rhetoric. But now that the democrats hold both branches, they want compromise. Funny how that works.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:
ZM, FEMA has been around since the 80's, and it exists for a reason. If not to help states out in situations like Katrina, then what is FEMA supposed to do?

Bush declared a state of emergency for select regions of Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama on August 27, 2005. Unfortunately, those select regions did not include the Louisiana coastline, an area that was most likely to be hit by Hurricane Katrina. This is curious since the Governor of Louisiana requested aid from the Federal Gov't for all of Louisiana's coastal parishes on the 26th. The Hurricane hit on the 29th and devastated those local parishes. Tell me: how much warning did the Federal Gov't need in order to respond effectively?

This shows me you know little of how this works. Do you have any idea how often a hurricane switches course? Any at all. Its the norm. I know, I lived in N'awlins for years.

Predicting where a hurricane will hit three days in advance is a more like fortune-telling than a science. All you could say with any accuracy 3-days before hand is that the hurrican would enter the gulf. And, in fact, the predictions did prove wrong in that the hurricane did NOT hit New Orleans as predicted, but the tidal surge did come up the Mississippi and overwhelm the levees that were SUPPOSEd to protect the city.

Further, as subsquently shown, the governer as well as the mayor of NO, were absolutly incompetant as to what was going on, or what to do and when to do it. You want to see competant, look at Biloxi and Mobile. That doesn't mean that FEMA was doing a spot on job at all. It means that the storm overwhelmed the system, which has happened more than once in the past down there, and that an incompetant local and state government compounded an underprepared and overwhelmed FEMA response. Again, look at how quickly and more efficiently the response was in MS and AL. Same FEMA, same Bush. Differant local governments.

Quote:
The levees that were supposed to protect the Southeastern coastline were built by the Federal Gov't. Tell me: who do you think should be responsible for their upkeep?

Geez, at least know how the levee system works. The levee system is built and maintained by a LA/NO Levee Commission. They were built to protect New Orleans, and the Mississippi River shipping line, not the "Southeastern Coastline". There are no levees along the coast. The federal involvement comes from the Corp from the monies funneled to them, and given direction by, the Levee Commission, which by the bye, is one of the most notoriously corrupt commissions known to the US. The feds gave them the monies, they grafted it, and built and maintained substandard levees, which was the problem.

Quote:
The Federal Gov't knew this was coming long before Katrina hit, and it did nothing to mitigate the damage that it should have known would eventually be caused to Louisiana's coastline. Please, tell me: how is this in any way similar to the Kentucky ice storm?

No they didn't. No one did. That is why no one left the city in the face of Katrina. And folks in LA know much more about hurricanes than someone in a FEMA office.

In contrast, everyone saw the ice storm coming, just as you suppose with Katrina. However, unlike a Hurricane that USUALLY switches course and does not go where it is predicted (and Katrina did not). You can do this with this type of winter storm.

Quote:
If you can't call Bush's response to Hurricane Katrina an unqualified disaster, then there's little reason for any of us to consider your opinion an objective one.
[/quote][/quote]

Exactly, and thus Bob's point. In case you've not got it yet, this isn't about exonorating FEMA's response under Bush.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:38 pm 

The suggestion that the Bush administration was not the problem in NO is comic. Yes, you can hold local and state officials as bad too, but any disaster of this magnitude necessitates federal handling. There is absolutely no way any gruop in America is capable of dealing with this. If you remember correctly, things only improved when troops were sent in to the mess.

Objective people (not me) have pointed to this as one of the worst stains on his Presidency. You can deny that all you want but American aren't going to allow history rewritten. Take a poll of American about who they hold responsible for wrong handling and you'll see. Of course, you must know more as Americans aren't as smart as you, so go ahead and discount everyone else.-- "Look there, everyone in the band is out of step except my son.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:02 pm 

Now, BBf-- I appreciate the fact that in reference to me you refer to JC. My mother would be very pleased that her son was memtioned in the same sentence with her God.

All I ask is that you take a chill pill and try to relax. I am not trying to cause an physical problem for you as I enjoy your comments most of the time.

Please re-read my post about compromise. I started by suggesting that Obama back off some of the more lioberal parts of this plan. You define compromise if that doesn't fit your thinking.

The person most responsible for the tension between people is Carl Rove. His whole theory of getting Bush elected was to make Democrats the devil. Willy Horton came from his mentor Lee Atwater who before he died apologized for his actions. There is nothing positive by misusing issues like Willy Horton to make people afraid of your opponemt. Fear was his and his student, Rove's strategy. To get there, they had to lie and misrepresent the other guy. Both admit this was the case. Both were willing brcause winning was all that mattered. It didn't matter that false and interntionally misleading statements were made. The result is that their believer hate and fear the left, and the left which feels abused hates the right.

These people are very dangerous to our system, and have IMO brought about this unreasonable attitute of people.

Now, tell me who is working to end this? Who's having people (twice)to the White House? who's going to the opposite party in the Capital and listening to their views? Carl Rove would get ill even thinking about such an attitude.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next