It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Who's watching the inaguration?
Poll ended at Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:41 am
I might watch some of it. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
I have to work. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
I already have my cold beer and pretzels ready. 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Who's watching the inaguration?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:41 am 

Big day for some folks.

Post subject: Re: Who's watching the inaguration?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:47 am 

My girlfriend is hosting a brunch to celebrate the occasion. Naturally, I am forced to attend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:18 pm 

When does Obama: The Inaguration video game come out?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:46 pm 

TheShark wrote:
When does Obama: The Inaguration video game come out?

Right after all the Obama commemorative coins are sold. But not before the commemorative collector's plate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:33 pm 

Your poll does not give the option, but I'm not watching because I don't care to.

Might turn the TV on for Mike Tomlin's press conference though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:38 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Your poll does not give the option, but I'm not watching because I don't care to.

Bingo. My blood pressure can't take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:46 pm 

I heard them say at some lunch gathering, Ted Kennedy had a seizure

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:33 pm 

Guys this was an important day for America.

He has a chance to be a great President. If we end the separate America concept and begin to all be Americans, we can solve any problem. We just need someone like him to believe in. He can only lead if we choose to help him.

Think about it.

There is nothing in what he said today that I disagree with. If you didn't see it, you should ggogle it or read the papers on Wed. It's time to get our country moving forward. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Where do you want to be?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 am 

Substitute2 wrote:

He has a chance to be a great President. If we end the separate America concept and begin to all be Americans, we can solve any problem. We just need someone like him to believe in. He can only lead if we choose to help him.

Think about it.

There is nothing in what he said today that I disagree with. If you didn't see it, you should ggogle it or read the papers on Wed. It's time to get our country moving forward. You are either part of the solution or part of the problem. Where do you want to be?

He's been taking quite a few pages from the Conservative handbook the last several months. Ever since he won the election, he's been trying to position himself as a centrist and stay away from the liberal politics which defined his early career.

You say he can only lead if we choose to help him. Well sub, that's true of just about every leader. They're only effective if the people under them buy in to the system.

Obama gives hope to people, and I'm fine with that. I think he'll be good at what he needs to do. He needs to rebuild America's image abroad, find a solution to the war in the Middle East, and help turn around the economy. Quite frankly as a Republican, I'm happy he got elected. It helps break down some of the racial stereotypes. Now when someone like Michael Steele or Bobby Jindal talks, maybe people will hear with a more open mind. They'll hear the words and not look at the name or the color of the speaker's skin. That can only be a good thing. It can't be bad when men like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton suddenly find themselves without 3/4s of their usual rhetoric.

Yes, Obama will be a giant enema for this country. He's going to flush out all the residue from the Bush Administration. As a Conservative, I'm grateful to him for that. BushCo did more damage to the Party than anything or anyone else in the last 50 years.

Obama gives us a chance to get our house in order and provide respectful opposition for the next 4 years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:13 am 

Substitute2 wrote:

Think about it.

Sub-

I don't want to get into another debate over politics on this board, but the fact is that you didn't disagree with anything he said because he didn't say much of anything but rhetoric. Disagreeing with almost every policy that Obama has outlined, as I do, does not make me part of the problem. Our democratic system allows, and even thrives, on disagreement. I kind of find it angering that people think no one is allowed to disagree with Barry, and that those who do are a "problem", or even worse, "racist".

Further, I find that the statement that "he can only lead if we choose to help him" to be rather funny. I suppose that means that President Bush would have been a great leader if only his approval ratings were higher? I mean, how could he have been a good leader since no one chose to help him? But, I suspect that is not the case. I suppose Bush failed because he was inept, and if Barack fails, it will not be because he wasn't a good leader, but because we chose not to help him.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I thought Bush was a horrible president. I definitely wanted him out of office and agreed that something had to change. I just think we have changed for the worse. We've elected someone based on his charisma and persona, not on their ability to outline clear and decisive policy decisions going forward. Less than 3 out of 10 voters who voted for Obama could describe ONE of his policies (entitlement programs, health care, foreign policy, etc) in exit polls, and less than 6 out of 10 McCain supporters could do the same. That is absolutely disgusting to me, on both sides. The people that have elected our next president have no clue what he stands for, and that should scare the shit out of all of us.

Feel free to reply, but I've spent too much energy arguing this in other forums to go at it here. I hope your president does turn out to be a great leader. I also hope that he chooses to discard nearly all of his proposals on domestic issues.

Good day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:18 pm 
 WWW  Profile

BBF wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:
Less than 3 out of 10 voters who voted for Obama could describe ONE of his policies (entitlement programs, health care, foreign policy, etc) in exit polls, and less than 6 out of 10 McCain supporters could do the same. That is absolutely disgusting to me, on both sides. The people that have elected our next president have no clue what he stands for, and that should scare the shit out of all of us.

The media got Obama elected. You are exactly right BBF, people don't care about the issues anymore. The only two issues that seemed to matter were race and get rid of the Bush administration. I fear that there is a big wedge being driven into the country right now dealing with race. When people are being interviewed on TV they say all the right things...this is great for America, we are finally living the dream of MLK Jr., etc. Here in Omaha the media went to North Omaha (heavily populated black population) to get all the interviews. I get that it's a big day for the black community but it could be (and is) a big day for the entire country. Interview all walks of life...white, black, Asian, Mexican...etc.

I wasn't alive when JFK got elected and understand that there was some animosity towards him because he was Catholic. It seems strange to me to think that was an issue. I can only hope that down the road my kids think it was strange that we made such a big deal about a black person being President of the United States of America.

And now a quote from the greatest comedy of all-time...Blazing Saddles...

"All right, we'll give some land to the ni--ers and the chinks, but we don't want the IRISH!" For some reason that makes me laugh every time! I hope it didn't offend anyone!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 pm 

BBF wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Think about it.

Sub-

I don't want to get into another debate over politics on this board, but the fact is that you didn't disagree with anything he said because he didn't say much of anything but rhetoric. Disagreeing with almost every policy that Obama has outlined, as I do, does not make me part of the problem. Our democratic system allows, and even thrives, on disagreement. I kind of find it angering that people think no one is allowed to disagree with Barry, and that those who do are a "problem", or even worse, "racist".

Further, I find that the statement that "he can only lead if we choose to help him" to be rather funny. I suppose that means that President Bush would have been a great leader if only his approval ratings were higher? I mean, how could he have been a good leader since no one chose to help him? But, I suspect that is not the case. I suppose Bush failed because he was inept, and if Barack fails, it will not be because he wasn't a good leader, but because we chose not to help him.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I thought Bush was a horrible president. I definitely wanted him out of office and agreed that something had to change. I just think we have changed for the worse. We've elected someone based on his charisma and persona, not on their ability to outline clear and decisive policy decisions going forward. Less than 3 out of 10 voters who voted for Obama could describe ONE of his policies (entitlement programs, health care, foreign policy, etc) in exit polls, and less than 6 out of 10 McCain supporters could do the same. That is absolutely disgusting to me, on both sides. The people that have elected our next president have no clue what he stands for, and that should scare the shit out of all of us.

Feel free to reply, but I've spent too much energy arguing this in other forums to go at it here. I hope your president does turn out to be a great leader. I also hope that he chooses to discard nearly all of his proposals on domestic issues.

Good day.

I respect what you said BBF, but I am very disappointed with your second to last sentence. He is not Sub's president. He is BBF's president too and anybody who is blessed to be an American citizen. That 'your' statement wreaks of a party stance which is why this country is so screwed up politically (and more) today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:36 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
BBF wrote:
Substitute2 wrote:

Think about it.

Sub-

Good day.

I respect what you said BBF, but I am very disappointed with your second to last sentence. He is not Sub's president. He is BBF's president too and anybody who is blessed to be an American citizen. That 'your' statement wreaks of a party stance which is why this country is so screwed up politically (and more) today.

Whoops. Didn't catch that...its actually an editing mistake...I initially had written something about "I hope your belief that the next president...", then scrapped that and changed it, and didn't go back and change the pronoun. For the record, yes, he is OUR leader. As far as a party stance, I am as far removed from both political parties as it gets (I guess libertarian is as close as I get), and I couldn't agree more that partisan politics has destroyed (and is destroying) our system.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 pm 

IA, I gotta disagree with where you said " I fear that there is a big wedge being driven into the country right now dealing with race."

I think this election is having the opposite effect. I hope that most black people now understand that most white people are not as racist as they thought.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:31 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
IA, I gotta disagree with where you said " I fear that there is a big wedge being driven into the country right now dealing with race."

I think this election is having the opposite effect. I hope that most black people now understand that most white people are not as racist as they thought.

Yeah.....good luck with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

BBF wrote:
...I couldn't agree more that partisan politics has destroyed (and is destroying) our system.

This idea kinda contridicts your original thesis regarding political disagreement, does it not?

I don't find partisanship to destroy anything, it is the foundation of competing voices that should keep our republic balanced. That some on either side like to shout "Nazi" or "Commie Pinko" is more an indictment of the individual, or small group than anything. It might reflect on Pelosi's or Boehner's leadership, but it is their leadership, and you will find many in either party that disagree with each.

When folks get all chummy is when I start to worry.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:25 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
BBF wrote:
...I couldn't agree more that partisan politics has destroyed (and is destroying) our system.

This idea kinda contridicts your original thesis regarding political disagreement, does it not?

I don't find partisanship to destroy anything, it is the foundation of competing voices that should keep our republic balanced. That some on either side like to shout "Nazi" or "Commie Pinko" is more an indictment of the individual, or small group than anything. It might reflect on Pelosi's or Boehner's leadership, but it is their leadership, and you will find many in either party that disagree with each.

When folks get all chummy is when I start to worry.

ZM

Not at all how I meant it. I was referring to the fact that there are only two viable political parties at the national level. You are either one or the other. A vote against one dictates a vote for the other. Perhaps this is because the majority of people still feel that they are adequately represented by one party or the other (though that is not my sense). I want MORE dissenting opinions. Debate is healthy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:43 pm 

I'd like the libertarians to have a bigger voice than they do in national politics, but until they do the Republicans suit me just fine.

As far as Obama being "our" President, that's fine. But I wonder if your sentiment would have been the same if a Republican had won the office. As a former liberal Democrat, I think your answer would probably be no.

Anyway.....Jindal/Ridge in 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:03 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
I'd like the libertarians to have a bigger voice than they do in national politics, but until they do the Republicans suit me just fine.

As far as Obama being "our" President, that's fine. But I wonder if your sentiment would have been the same if a Republican had won the office. As a former liberal Democrat, I think your answer would probably be no.

If this addressed to me, then you are wrong. I want this country to get better. I don't care who does it. I am not even close to being a liberal although I have some views that might put me in that category just like I have some views that would make some call me a conservative. But see, I don't play that game. That game has ruined this country.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:26 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

If this addressed to me, then you are wrong. I want this country to get better. I don't care who does it. I am not even close to being a liberal although I have some views that might put me in that category just like I have some views that would make some call me a conservative. But see, I don't play that game. That game has ruined this country.

Out of control consumerism an the increasing dependence of people on the government is what's ruined this country. If you want this country to get better, then you need to get people to stop depending so much on government. Welfare reform, school vouchers, across the board tax cuts, and reduction of government spending are what's going to help this country. Turning off the DVD players and game systems one or two nights a week is going to help this country.

Blame "the game" all you want, but it's just another cop out for people to shift the blame away from themselves and on to someone else. I have little to no confidence in Obama to fix the country because he doesn't understand the problem. Obama, and people like him, have been raised to think that the government owes them something.

I'm sorry, but until you can understand that the government should be as small as possible,you can't understand why people like me are so pissed off today.