Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any British car guys here?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 am 

Been a foolish fan for quite sometime. Bought a Triumph TR7 recently. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Any British car guys here?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:01 am 

That was always derided as a woman's car over here!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:16 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Had a Triumph T1500 for awhile. Loved the merger of a tractor engine and sleek, sports looks! Alas, Lucas electrical bundles and failing oil gaskets did me in.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:52 am 

MIne has some issues that have been corrected and still needs a fuel pump and blinkers fixed so I guess I still have some projects. Must not be known as a woman's car over here Bertie, Mrs. AZBF is not enamored with it. It drives like a go cart on steroids….fun... 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:53 am 

Sorry, Az.
I've realised that I was speaking of the wrong Triumph model. However, they were all known for electrical and rust problems, and as a 'triumph' of appearance over substance.
Good luck with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:49 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah AZ, the first thing any Triumph owner should do is pull the Lucas electrical and put in an American-made bundle. You'll find shops specifically designed for this on the internet.

Have fun tuning the carburetor as well.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:11 pm 

Hey Bertie, what is the chick triumph? Just curious….It sure has some strange quirks….when bought, 4 ways, blinkers, wipers did not function…all those go through the 4 way switch…cleaned all the fuse box connections, took out the main switch panel and cleaned all of those connections and lubed them with di electric…..all then worked except blinkers….about 3 days ago I thought I would try the blinkers, was cool and didn't want to use hand signals, mysteriously blinkers started working and have worked since….i think it is a ground issue…gotta get a file pump, fix the window crank system and take the Spitfire exhaust and get one fabricated…will be pretty good…..runs cold and funky but I am not going to mess with the dual Strombergs….IF it ain't broke….well its a Triumph so we know how that goes….lol…need a drivers door eventually too…strangely enough it's the only real rusty place ….still not bad…guess it won't rust anymore here though…. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:35 am 

To tell the truth, I am not really a 'car guy' in any way. I haven't owned one for the last 3 years. I, however, acknowledge that is almost impossible to do in the USofA (I had two cars when I lived over there!).
Most models of British car made in the 70s/early 80s are bad builds and suffer from the sort of faults you list. The industry then was riven by industrial disputes and the unions were pretty much in control. Pretty much what happened to the steel industry in Pittsburgh. British Leyland, which was a publicly-owned conglomerate made up of previously successful independent car builders was the worst example.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:26 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Been a foolish fan for quite sometime. Bought a Triumph TR7 recently. 8-) 8-) 8-)

I've loved 'em since I first saw a Jaguar E-Type. Loved the Mini, the Spitfire, loved them all. I was thrilled when the Mini came back, even if it is built in Germany now.

But I gotta tell you, I saw the TR7 as a sign of the end of cool British sports cars. Didn't like it anywhere near as much as the TR6.

Not that I'd say no to one for Christmas :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:16 am 

Actually, the Mini is not built in Germany, but right here in the UK. Just happens to be owned by BMW.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 pm 

Bertie wrote:
Actually, the Mini is not built in Germany, but right here in the UK. Just happens to be owned by BMW.

I didn't know that, but I'm glad to hear it. I love that little car.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 am 

Interesting read on the decline of the British auto industry here.... 8-) 8-)
http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?10,923394

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:21 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az, Dude, just get the Lucas electrical bundle out of there! That, or just wait for the car to "turn off" on the road in the middle of the desert one day. :shock:

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:07 am 

A friend of mine who is a bit of a british car guru came up from Tucson last weekend to do a go through with me. Found the good, the bad and the ugly. We traced all the grounds and tightened and amazingly all the electrical now work. He thought the bundle may have been re done. Received the fuel pump yesterday. However, the distributor is in need of replacement and I am in search of a compatible replacement for the Opus model, which apparently was usually call Hopeless. Also the carbs need rebuilt which No. 2 son and I will attempt at holiday time. My buddy bought 4 on ebay Sat. and is having them shipped to me to, as he says, practice on. Bustin' some knuckles I guess….. 8-) 8-) 8-)