Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any Input Would Be Of Great Help
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:32 pm 

I am now 1 year into owning my own music store and the repair side of the business is taking off. I knew it was a matter of time until it happened and it finally did: People aren't picking up their repaired items. I have 3 instruments sitting here. Two are finished and one was quoted a price. Numerous calls and not one response.

The one has been here a month now. I had my guitar guy repair it and paid him for the work upfront for the work and was just going to bill the customer myself. I have made three phone calls now and each time they said they would be in within the next day or two and have not.

I implemented repair rules and wanted to get some input and maybe one of the surplus of lawyers could help as to what to do with these original offenders, as these were items here prior to the rules going in place.

New Repair Rules are:
1) $5.00 for inspection and quote of instrument/repairs needing done
2) 20% Deposit of Quoted Work Required Before Any Work Will Be Done
3) Any repaired instrument not picked up after 14 days will be charges a $2.00 a day storage fee
4) Any repaired instrument not picked up after 30 days are subject to being sold to compensate for the repair charges

I have 4 of these posted through the store on 11x17 bright colored paper so they are visible.
Do I have the right to do this?
Attachment:
repairpolicy.jpg
repairpolicy.jpg [ 229.55 KiB | Viewed 1867 times ]

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

Post subject: Re: Any Input Would Be Of Great Help
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:08 am 

Can't quote law but have a suggestion. Try offering a 10% discount if payment is fronted before any work is done. helps me save and so I pay.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:34 am 

My daughter has been practicing violin for a year and a half. It's a rent to own deal. We rented a violin for 8 or 9 months, but took it back during the summer because she
didn't seem that interested. When the new school year started she said she'd resume playing. The time that we rented was disallowed to the payment to own the
instrument. Is that the usual policy? Good luck with your store.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:06 am 

You might want to consult with No. 9, Bucfan, and or Willton about the legalities of the situation you cite dan. But, I would think that since it's your business, you can pretty much do want you need to do to enforce payment for service rendered.

The Policy you posted appears to me to be a very good one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm 

You certainly have the right.

You will need the customer to sign an agreement that gives you the right to sell their personal property for non-payment. You should also incorporate on the form a ledger recording the times/dates you tried to call the customer. And regardless of your state law, I would also send, by certified mail, a notification that you will sell said equipment by such and such a date. If the mail is returned to you refused, that is probably sufficient proof of non-payment on their part.

Keep the agreement, your ledger and the mail receipt for each piece of equipment you sell.

Edit: Minor quibble: in your sign, Any instrument left for more than 30 days IS subject to sale.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 am 

I would have all of that info on a contract and have them sign it.

nad69dan wrote:
I am now 1 year into owning my own music store and the repair side of the business is taking off. I knew it was a matter of time until it happened and it finally did: People aren't picking up their repaired items. I have 3 instruments sitting here. Two are finished and one was quoted a price. Numerous calls and not one response.

The one has been here a month now. I had my guitar guy repair it and paid him for the work upfront for the work and was just going to bill the customer myself. I have made three phone calls now and each time they said they would be in within the next day or two and have not.

I implemented repair rules and wanted to get some input and maybe one of the surplus of lawyers could help as to what to do with these original offenders, as these were items here prior to the rules going in place.

New Repair Rules are:
1) $5.00 for inspection and quote of instrument/repairs needing done
2) 20% Deposit of Quoted Work Required Before Any Work Will Be Done
3) Any repaired instrument not picked up after 14 days will be charges a $2.00 a day storage fee
4) Any repaired instrument not picked up after 30 days are subject to being sold to compensate for the repair charges

I have 4 of these posted through the store on 11x17 bright colored paper so they are visible.
Do I have the right to do this?
Attachment:
repairpolicy.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm 

To update this post...

I called weekly from December 1st until mid January. Then I called daily, all calls went straight to voicemail. Since Valentine's Day the guitar is for sale. It wont be here long.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:30 pm 

What is it? 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
What is it? 8-) 8-) 8-)

It's a Jay Turser acoustic guitar...Nothing fancy but now that my guitar guy fixed it the thing sounds great.