Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Republican Party
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:19 am 

Looking back, I can see now what a sad commentary on modern life this election was.

There was more talk of character issues than there was of actual issues. We elected a man based on rhetoric and slick promotion rather than on the issues. And that would have been the case no matter who won. We saw a woman, who by all accounts is a decent, if a little naive, person be slammed in the most disgusting and reprehensible ways.

Guys, we're at a real low point here. Modern society sucks and we need to do something to get back on track.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:20 am 

She was slammed because she was incompetent for the job she wanted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:32 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
She was slammed because she was incompetent for the job she wanted.

That hasn't stopped the winner of the past 3 elections from winning, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:28 pm 

The last three elected presidents were infinitely more qualified than Palin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:53 pm 

I'm not looking to start another tired debate, but what made Obama more qualified than Palin? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:57 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I'm not looking to start another tired debate, but what made Obama more qualified than Palin? Just curious.

Nothing.

Unless you're a liberal who thinks being Editor In Chief of the Harvard Law Review counts as something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:17 pm 

Lets' try baseball/sports terms. Who has more upside?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Az, you have a point regarding Palin... at the time she was brought in...

This was based on things like "seeing Russia from the porch" as foreign policy experience. As opposed to say, a soon to be POTUS, who in his earlliest debates referred (I kid not) to his 4 years abroad in school from ages 8 to 12 as the basis of his experience.

Palin's only problem was that she was brought in too late to adjust the barrage, as could be seen as she progressed and by the end, was doing a bang up job for her side (realizing that is not your side, so you wouldn't agree with the positions).

I find what bothered most was her actual conservative positions, which scared the bejesus out of the press and Dems.

She could grow into something real good over the next few years. Just like a young Senator figured out that grade school in Indonesia doesn't make one a foreign policy expert.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:23 am 

Argentum wrote:

A higher IQ and a Harvard law degree.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:26 am 

Jeremy wrote:
Argentum wrote:

Nothing.

Unless you're a liberal who thinks being Editor In Chief of the Harvard Law Review counts as something.

Can you tell me why it does not? Because using deductive logical reasoning, it does mean that he actually went to Harvard Law School. That has to count for something.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:31 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
I find what bothered most was her actual conservative positions, which scared the bejesus out of the press and Dems.

ZM

It scared the bejesus out of a lot of moderates and conservatives too. That's why the did not vote for McCain - they were not comfortable with the idea that Caribou Barbie would be a heartbeat away from running the Executive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:07 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

A referance to "Caribou Barbie" is really all one needs to know about the veracity of that view.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:10 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Willton wrote:

And, you know who has the higher IQ, just how?

I've seen how much credence you give the Ivy's when its a Repubilcan from Yale, though.

Graduating from Harvard really means nothing more than graduating from a "name" school.

The level of snobbishness just rose a few degrees here.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:20 am 

If I had a dime for every smart person who was a terrible leader, you guys would be complaining about me as the owner of the Bucs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:34 am 

Willton wrote:
Argentum wrote:

A higher IQ is subjective, unless you have access to information that can back this claim. I could provide a lengthy list of people with no degree or non Ivy league degrees that are doing quite well for themselves. A degree from a great school can open doors, but hard work, dedication, and risk taking will ultimately determine your future successes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:54 am 

Argentum wrote:
Willton wrote:
Argentum wrote:

A higher IQ is subjective, unless you have access to information that can back this claim. I could provide a lengthy list of people with no degree or non Ivy league degrees that are doing quite well for themselves. A degree from a great school can open doors, but hard work, dedication, and risk taking will ultimately determine your future successes.

I have to agree, in that some of the smartest people I have met never went to college (by choice). Certainly much smarter than many of my medical school colleagues.

Having said that, I don't happen to think Palin is all that bright, though certainly not as stupid as she was made out to be. I also don't think Obama has much "upside" (as someone else said earlier in this thread), as I believe his "charisma" is the result of being very carefully groomed since his days as a state senator.

As for policies, both of them scare the bejesus out of me, Obama perhaps moreso than Palin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:05 pm 

The Republican Party certainly has to take a long look at itself over the next few years. I believe they felt they had to be more Liberal to win over votes. Selecting McCain was the proof of that, being that he was the most Liberal Republican. I had to vote for him because at least he had a few conservative positions and policies(not to mention I literally despise Obama and all he stands for, or doesn't stand for), but i wasn't happy with his nomination as the Partys' candidate.

Palin on the other hand was a breath of fresh air from a Conservative standpoint and with some refining she will be a formidable candidtate in 2012.

Should be interesting to see what Obama actually does for his subjects over the next for years.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:25 pm 

You want to know what the Republicans need to do to get back in power in America?

Reach out to the Latin Community. The numbers I've seen have Latinos anywhere from 60%-75% for Obama in the election.

Considering they're the largest minority in the country now, wouldn't it make sense to reach out to them.

I'm just saying.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:39 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
You want to know what the Republicans need to do to get back in power in America?

Reach out to the Latin Community. The numbers I've seen have Latinos anywhere from 60%-75% for Obama in the election.

Considering they're the largest minority in the country now, wouldn't it make sense to reach out to them.

I'm just saying.

If that's the target, then you're not going to win them over by proposing draconian immigration policies.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:09 pm 

Willton wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

I'm just saying.

If that's the target, then you're not going to win them over by proposing draconian immigration policies.

Nope. Which is why the Republican Party had to do some serious soul searching. Either change their ways and regain power or stay stuck in the past and become an afterthought in American politics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next