Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitt vs Iowa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:24 pm 

Wow.. Mr Cross was a Spin-parade for a 7-3 lead..

can be a nice game...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: Pitt vs Iowa
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:11 pm 

21-20 I loved this game, what a power and hard work... Nice Job Mr Wanstedt

Iowa had not given up any TD's and now 3!!

WOWSERS

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:02 am 

If Pitt had any kind of offense, they'd be the favorites in the Big East.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:33 am 

I've got a different take.

I place responsibility on Wannestadt/Cavanaugh for allowing Iowa to get back in the game. On the two consecutive TD drives, Pitt effectively moved the ball by passing downfield. However, after going up 14-3, Pitt went into a shell and played right into the strength of Iowa's defense. Iowa has a fantastic run defense and Pitt decided to reign in the offense. That move let Iowa back in the game.

I also place responsibility on O'Keefe (Iowa's OC)/Ferentz for changing the offensive philosophy after Pitt responded to go up 21-17. (A lead Pitt grabbed after they went back to passing the ball to set up the run). Iowa was successful on the ground, wearing out Pitt's D Line. They could effectively mix in the pass but - after Pitt went up - the pass became the focus of the offense which played to Pitt's strengths.

Don't get me wrong. Good win for Pitt. Disappointing loss for my alma mater. I just think that it could have been a bigger win for Pitt if they didn't go into a shell for 2 quarters and I think that Iowa could have made it a lot more interesting if they hadn't forgotten about how Shonn Greene was running and decided to put the game on the QB's shoulders in the final 2 drives. He can't hit the broad side of a barn (good Iowa cliche).

Kudos to Pitt for winning.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:57 am 

Jeremy wrote:

If they had any kind of offensive coordinator, they'd have an offense.

A quarterback would also help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:06 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

If they had any kind of offensive coordinator, they'd have an offense.

A quarterback would also help.

There's a kid who made it on the team as a walk on this year from Johnstown here, Marco Pecora...
He was a QB in high school and set or was close to alot of Pennsylvania High School passing records, and went as a walk on and Pitt made him a D-Back...

I think a lot of schools stayed away with him because of his family background...His dad is University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, Division II wrestling Powerhouse coach, Pat Pecora, and most figured he was going to wrestle in college...

Here's an article from PA Wrestling News Magazine...

Quote:
Richland wrestling coach Dan Sichak can remember when Marco Pecora was little, he'd see Pecora running around with a football in his hands in somebody's backyard.
"He was always tossing the football around," Sichak said. "He'd get any kids together to play. You don't see that much now. He's got a real love of that game, and he's a real student of the game. If you've seen him play, you know he's thinking about plays beyond the current one."
Those games in the backyard would help Pecora become a four-year starter and one of the most prolific passers the state has ever seen. He finished with 2,000 yards passing as a senior, a mark which was second in the state going into the Rams' District 6 playoff game against Philipsburg-Osceola and over 6,000 yards pass, ranking him 10th all-time.
While the Rams lost that quarterfinal game, 31-21, the 5-10, 195-pound Pecora went out passing and running. He threw for 197 yards, ran for three touchdowns and gained 67 rushing yards.
"Being a quarterback, it's up to you to lead the team," said Pecora, who also played safety. "I had imput on whether we would win or lose the game. To throw 30 times a game is what every quarterback wants."
"This past football season, he intercepted a pass and returned it 99 yards for a touchdown," Sichak said. "You wonder how many tricks he has up his sleeves. He plays big. He wrestles big. He has a big man's intensity." More known for his play on the gridiron and being the son of Pat Pecora, UPJ's highly successful wrestling coach, Marco Pecora is starting to get some attention for his mat ability.
The 189-pounder opened a lot of people's eyes earlier this wrestling season when he earned a dominating 12-2 win over Westmont Hilltop's returning state champion and two-time state finalist Zac Bennett. Bennett injured his knee in football season, but Pecora's win was still impressive. "It was a big match," Pecora said. "I just wrestled and went hard for six minutes. I would say I was surprised I scored that many points. Scoring points is contagious. I just kept trying to score."

http://www.gobanana.com/pwn/profile/marco_pecora.htm

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:55 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

No. 9 wrote:
I place responsibility on Wannestadt/Cavanaugh for allowing Iowa to get back in the game. On the two consecutive TD drives, Pitt effectively moved the ball by passing downfield. However, after going up 14-3, Pitt went into a shell and played right into the strength of Iowa's defense. Iowa has a fantastic run defense and Pitt decided to reign in the offense. That move let Iowa back in the game...

This was not unexpected. As usual, once up Cav and Wanny figured they could run McCoy for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Qtrs to run out the game. Coupled with the occasional bubble screen for 0 yards on 3 and 7, that should have done it their minds.

What I did not expect, having not seen Iowa, was that Wanny had an evil twin as the coaching staff over there. That, or the QB's are as bad as they looked.

But, there was nothing unusual for me in this game. It was Pitt, part year 4. Only in this game, the punter managed to put one out at the 1/2 yard line so that Iowa could not waltz down the field so easily for the winning field goal attempt. Make no mistake, in my book, if the punter had put that ball in the end zone, and Iowa starts on the 20, they get a field goal attempt to win.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:11 pm 

ZM -
What you saw on Saturday is why the "bloom is off the Ferentz rose" for many in Hawkeye Nation. I'm not a detractor at this point . . . but I found myself scratching my head with the QB decision and forgetting about Shonn Greene in the 4th quarter. I've been hoping that Ferentz would force the OC out the door for a few years.

BTW, Jake Christensen IS that bad. Those mistakes were acceptable during his first year. Those same mistakes were eminently frustrating last year as a second year starter. Seeing the same mistakes again this year demonstrate to me that the kid just isn't very good and he's not going to get any better.

Congrats on the win again,
No. 9