Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Top 10 things I hate about soccer
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 am 

No. 9 wrote:
The thing that I hate most about soccer? The American fans who possess such an inferiority complex about their love of soccer that they feel the incessant need to tell you why soccer is the greatest thing ever. And, if you don't love soccer as much as they do, then you are a stupid imbecile and lower on the food chain. Seriously, the righteous indignation expressed by soccer fans is nauseating.

Righteous indignation from soccer fans? Did you not read Bucfan's post?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:16 pm 

No. 9 wrote:
The thing that I hate most about soccer? The American fans who possess such an inferiority complex about their love of soccer that they feel the incessant need to tell you why soccer is the greatest thing ever. And, if you don't love soccer as much as they do, then you are a stupid imbecile and lower on the food chain. Seriously, the righteous indignation expressed by soccer fans is nauseating.

With that . . . I'll share a story. A young associate at our firm was a highly touted high school player (some claim that he may have been the best ever in this state) who also played at . . . I think Wake Forest. I walked through the lunch room one day as he was standing next to the refrigerator. I picked up an apple and tossed it in his direction. He caught it with his hands. My response? "Yep . . . you used your hands. That's why soccer is unnatural. You didn't try to head it, you didn't try to bounce it on your knees or chest it to the ground. We are unique as humans because of the opposable thumb. Any sport that doesn't allow you to use the opposable thumb is setting us backwards on the evolutionary chain and runs the risk of creating a bunch of flippered children who don't have a use for their hands. "

Sorry to be so late to the party....

You hit the nail on the head, #9. I tell my kids this all the time. Soccer is unnatural and I'm glad you brought that up. We're not meant to play with our feet, but that is the challenge. It is why soccer is low-scoring, why it's easier to hit a major league curveball than a full volley, and why the game's appeal is a mystery to most American sports fans.

As to the original poster, soccer is a wildly different game, and culture, than most American sports. American sports, if I can generalize, have two defining characteristics. They are (1) coach driven as opposed to player driven, and (2) overly controlled by referees. In regards to #1, American sports coaches are typically at the front of the game. The sports, be it baseball, football or basketball, allow timeouts, frequent substitutions and give the coach ample opportunity to confront the refs. In soccer, once the game starts, the coach is minimal. The field is too big for him to give his players much in the way of instruction and he cannot call a play for his players to enact. No huddles, no trips to the mound, certainly no 3rd base coach making the decision for the runner to hold up or go home. So, each player has to make/her own decisions. And with point #2, American sports are more regulated by the refs. In b-ball, you can't even take a free throw without the ref giving you the ball. So, there is a sense of order to the games that seems to be missing in soccer, as expressed by your rant against the timing of the game.

As for diving, well, no one likes that. It is a blight. However, I am incensed by what coaches get away in American sports. A coach coming onto the field, kicking dust on the ref. That to me is far more petty, petulant and disrespectful. And in b-ball and football, coaches are proud of how they "work" the refs. I much, much prefer soccer.

Yeah, we soccer fans have an inferiority complex, but when you grow up being told how baseball is the American pasttime, how much we're told we have to make March Madness brackets, etc, well, I think it is only natural. If ESPN is stuffing soccer down your throat, it's because they can make money doing so. Look, I hate televised poker, but it gets a lot of airtime as well. But I only see anti-soccer rants on a message board like this, not anti-poker ones.

Here's what I especially like about soccer the older I get. Most importantly, you don't have to be big to be good. Normal sized people can play soccer. The best player in the world right now is a guy who is 5'7" (and he took human growth hormones as a 10 year old to even get to that height): Leo Messi. My personal choice for best player in the world is Xavi Hernandez and he's only 5'8". Pele and Maradonna, both about 5'8". So we know when we watch pro soccer we're getting best players in the world. Who knows, maybe the best NBA player ever was a 5'8" center. Only he never got the chance.

And world soccer tournaments. Nothing like them anywhere. Look, I love March Madness. The central operating conceit is win-or-go-home. You have to be the best every time you walk on the floor. No excuses. Football is like that too. But, as you know, sometimes things happen, you get an off night. Baseball and b-ball are organized around the theory that you see greatness over time, and shouldn't even a champion get an off night. Both have their merits, but world soccer allows for both issues. In the first round, 4 teams are grouped together and they play a round robin. Top two teams advance. This means you can have the hiccup, the off night, but the talent should still rise to the top. Then, it's knockout. Win or go home. There is no tomorrow. Soccer gives you the best of both worlds.

As for penalty shoot outs. I love em. But I know that I am in the minority. It is jarring to take a sport where the ball rarely stops, the refs are absent, and then have the game stop for the excruciating shots. But, it is the purest form of pressure I know, esp in a team game. Maybe being on the 18th green having to hit a 30' putt to win it all is harder, but there's nothing in team sports. I like it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:02 pm 

NBC is doing pretty well, ratings-wise, on it's decision to cover the English Premier League:

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... cer-Gamble

Quote:
Within the first five weeks, NBC racked up over 9 million viewers, averaging 391,000 viewers per game. Those aren’t anywhere near NFL numbers, but they’re not bad at all, especially considering when the games air. Because of the time difference between the U.S. and U.K., all of those viewers came during weekend mornings and early afternoon timeslots (depending on the time zone), when other channels mostly show children’s programming and news. NBC’s early numbers represent a 70 percent increase over FSC’s ratings over the same period last year. TV programming execs have discovered what Irish bars have known for years: There is an audience for sports in the morning.

Quote:
Most impressively, kids aged 6 to 17 make up 11 percent of the audience. In comparison, the same age group made up only 4.6 percent of the World Series audience, a fact that has to have MLB sweating about its future fandom. Several generations of middle class American kids have now grown up with soccer as a game they played but didn’t often watch. Now NBC has given them an easier way to follow soccer when they’re not on the pitch and watch what many consider to the best league in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:51 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well, sure... have a couple announcers with a sweet accent. Take a break for tea. You got a winner.

:lol:

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:34 am 

I think MLB's future is fine, especially with such a massive influx coming from south of the border. Football is honestly going to start declining soon if it hasn't started already. Fewer people want to put themselves in harms way the way football does with concussions and whatnot, not when there's baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. available; sports that won't shorten your lifespan by 20 years and leave you with brain damage.

Soccer is definitely on the rise, and it's definitely for real this time. Naysayers like to point to the 70s when Pele and the NASL were around and say people said the same thing then. This time, it's much different. MLS is healthy and growing, averaging nearly 20,000 a game; Seattle gets around 40,000. Access to live English Premier League matches is a first, though it's been around for about 15-20 years, this is the first time a major network has actually heavily invested in it (FOX did a half-assed job when they held the rights). FOX broadcasts the UEFA Champions League matches, which ESPN had previously. FOX offers far more games, however, broadcasting on FSN, FS1, FS2, FSP, and the main network for the final. And then there's the World Cup, which more than anything I think, adds to the awareness and interest in the sport. This summer's World Cup will undoubtedly see record viewership, a trend that has been going on since 1998.