Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For Argentum . . . .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:09 pm 

What's the scoop on the Panthers? My beloved Hawkeyes will be coming to Ferentz' home state and I fear that they will be facing a mean team given the first two games for Wanny's Boys.

If I were Wanny, I'd be blitzing the Hawkeyes all day. Put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run and make the Iowa QB pass the ball.
I predict a very low scoring affair. The Iowa D is pretty good and have yet to allow a TD - admittedly to rather poor competition. I'll go on a limb and say the score will be Iowa 16 Pitt 13.

Post subject: Re: For Argentum . . . .
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:39 pm 

Wannstedt's honeymoon is over and a lot is expected from his 3+ years of highly ranked recruiting classes.

I know it's only the third game, but this could be make or break for Pitt. Most people around here consider anything less than 7 wins unacceptable.

Pitt needs to not turn the ball over and keep the defense off the field. We're really banged-up at LB and the secondary is shaky. The D is also young and inexperienced.

I don't know much about Iowa, but if they have a decent, experienced running game, it could get ugly fast. Plus Pitt usually doesn't play well against the Big 10.

If Pitt is to win, they'll need about 40 minutes on the possession clock, and great game calling from Matt Cavanaugh, the embattled Offensive Coordinator. Not a small feat.

I'm a homer so I'll go 17 - 14 Pitt.

Put a gun to my head, I go 27 - 10 Iowa.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:25 pm 

Iowa has a starting RB who was at Iowa 2 years ago, left to get his grades up and is now back. It is the first time that he has been a starter. The back-up is a former walk-on who saw his first serious playing time this year. 3rd string is a freshman. Suffice it to say, RB is far from experienced. However, the entire O-Line is made of returning starters.

As for your inexperienced D, Iowa's QB can make them look really good. I'd be betting the under.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:35 pm 

Well I'm glad to hear that there aren't any second comings of Ladell Betts on the roster. If QB is as week as you say, then I think the score is low and close, just like you predicted. The only caveat being Pitt's offense, McCoy is due for a big game.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:55 am 

No. 9 wrote:
If I were Wanny, I'd be blitzing the Hawkeyes all day. Put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run and make the Iowa QB pass the ball.

If I were Iowa, I'd be blitzing Pitt all day. Put 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run and make the Pitt QB pass the ball.

The only way I see Pitt winning is if Iowa beats themselves. Wanny has been praised as a great recruiter and Pitt is supposed to have talent. The talent is sure not at the most important position(QB)and he is out coached on game day all too often. I never liked Walt Harris but he is a genius compared to Wanny and his trying to fit a square into a round hole logic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:08 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Wanny will try to keep it low and ugly. Its the only whay he knows. His D-line, so highly touted, has been just shoved around in two games by MAC teams. Buffalo of all folks, was able to manhandle the front 7.

I don't have such a problem with the secondary. I think they've made a good move in putting Fields out there as a starter. Terrific athelete who can be differance maker.

I still predict Iowa big. That O-line will just shove an undersized 7 out of the way, and we can all count of Cavanaugh to continue to make mind-numbing play calls. Wanny's tenure is coming to a close. But, then again I was never for that hire. Just so you know where I am coming from.

The bitterness that is Greg Robinson at SU, is drifting down to me here.... :D

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:33 pm 

If Pitt's QB can throw quick hitting passes to his wide outs, he will run up some serious numbers. Iowa's D-Coordinator is a "bend but don't break" stylist. The DBs will play 10-15 yards off the wide outs and it makes for easy pickings. It is frustrating to watch for Iowa fans.

If Iowa can get their TE (Tony Moecki) back on the field, it will help the offense immensely. Not only is he an outstanding blocker but he has great hands and good speed. He would be referred to as the next Tony Gonzalez if he could stay healthy. He almost single handedly destroyed Syracuse last year in Iowa City.

I still say it will be close. Iowa's O just doesn't have big play potential against "real" teams (as opposed to Maine or Florida International). Each team will get a TD and it will boil down to FGs after that.

However, I hope that Argentum's head is right and that ZM is dead on accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:18 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

This one actually is hard for me to root. I like Pitt, and wish them well (which is why I was shocked when they hired Wanny, but that is another story). However, I am wishing Iowa and Ferenz well this year to demonstrate his comeback ability, and to become the front runner for JoePa's job next year when PSU pushes him out the door!

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:35 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
However, I am wishing Iowa and Ferenz well this year to demonstrate his comeback ability, and to become the front runner for JoePa's job next year when PSU pushes him out the door!

ZM

You really think they will look outside of Happy Valley for his successor? I think Bradley has to be the front-runner for that job when it opens up.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I'm holding out that he gets frustrated with PSU, and takes the newly opened SU job! Ridding me forever of the scourge that is Greg Robinson.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:02 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I'm holding out that he gets frustrated with PSU, and takes the newly opened SU job! Ridding me forever of the scourge that is Greg Robinson.

ZM

My thinking was that if he was getting frustrated with PSU he would have been gone by now. The whole Paterno thing has been going on for several years now, and I'm sure there are plenty of solid D-I programs that would hire Bradley. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some plan in place for him to take over that has been kept from the public.

But you do have my condolences on Robinson.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:15 pm 

I would love to see Syracuse go after Al Golden (Temple). Problem is he probably wouldn't want to go there.

I long for the Coach Mac years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:26 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Coach Mac was fun to watch. Loved that funky option he ran. Stepfather to the spread.

Hey, Pasqualoni did a nice job, too. I never understood why he was shown the door. He had a couple down years, but nothing like what they got now. New Univ Prez, and new AD I guess wanted their own.

They got them. Hope all three are gone after this year, but will accept AD and Robinson!

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:29 pm 

Pasqualoni went because he didn't keep the team at the level Mac got it too after Mac's classes were gone. He also lost to a double digit underdog for seven straight seasons.

However. he is looking like Vince Lombardi compared to Robinson right now.

Also, the AD isn't going anywhere. Their olympic sports have thrived and basketball is still king.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:11 pm 

BBF wrote:
ZelieMike wrote:
However, I am wishing Iowa and Ferenz well this year to demonstrate his comeback ability, and to become the front runner for JoePa's job next year when PSU pushes him out the door!

ZM

You really think they will look outside of Happy Valley for his successor? I think Bradley has to be the front-runner for that job when it opens up.

I don't think that they'll hire anyone who carries the stench of Paterno.