Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soccer Sucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:51 pm 

Man this is truly un-dutch too say, but since i met with US sports when i was 10 (now 32)
i got out of love with soccer.. and every year it's increasing by those European Cry-Soccer babies..

They always cry when they are hurt, even if they arent truly hit.. they complain that 2 games a week is too much
for soccer players, they complain about everything..

Like the sport it self.. its boring too watch, when the score is 2-0 the chance things turn around is 8.6 procent.. so
often the case is settled then, further there is so less scoring that it becomes boring... escpecially competition wise..
the only fun thing is the world championships or european championships where the pride of your nation is at stake...

how are u american peoples thoughts about soccer..?

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

Post subject: Re: Soccer Sucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:11 pm 

Americans pretty much feel the same way, NL - soccer is just too boring. The kids play it and like it, but they usually outgrow that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:05 pm 

My kids played soccer when they were younger...I coached it too. It will never catch on in the US. It has grown but it is just too boring. Many guys think its a pansy game too but I will defend soccer as being rough, but not like US Football. If soccer would either make to goal nets taller and wider and using a line like Hockey does for offsides, it would open up the game and increase the scoring. Its just to slow to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:17 pm 

I played soccer in high school...I did it to keep in shape for wrestling season...

It was always funny since I was 5'10" and weighed 245-255. and was pretty fast for my size...We usually had 2 games a week plus numerous team scrimmage games...

I was a reserve defenseman and goaltender, but got most of my playing time as a goon...I'd go out there and just knock people (usually their most physical player or their best offensive player) on their asses and bump and kick at them for about 5 minutes at a time...

One of my best goon momenta was getting a red card for giving the other team's goaltender a fireman's carry

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 am 

Mental note, don't mess with nad69dan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:24 am 

Indeed

DON'T MESS WITH THE NADDAN!!

Well.. i played soccer myself for 7 years, couz like al young dutch kids, their school promotes soccer above all..
i was pretty good, making the 1st teams everywhere as a striker, but then baseball kicked in...

New Amsterdam was a Dutch settlement est. at the southern tip of Manhattan Island which served as seat of the colonial government in the New Dutch territory. It was renamed New York in honor of the then Duke of York.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:53 am 

I can't get into the pro leagues. I'll watch high school and college soccer, and I love World Cup matches! I always root against America though (even in the Olympics.) I probably shouldn't have said that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:21 am 

PiratesFan.from.NL wrote:
Man this is truly un-dutch too say, but since i met with US sports when i was 10 (now 32)
i got out of love with soccer.. and every year it's increasing by those European Cry-Soccer babies..

They always cry when they are hurt, even if they arent truly hit.. they complain that 2 games a week is too much
for soccer players, they complain about everything..

Like the sport it self.. its boring too watch, when the score is 2-0 the chance things turn around is 8.6 procent.. so
often the case is settled then, further there is so less scoring that it becomes boring... escpecially competition wise..
the only fun thing is the world championships or european championships where the pride of your nation is at stake...

how are u american peoples thoughts about soccer..?

I'll watch it occasionally, but that's about it. I will say that soccer is much more exciting today than it was back in the 70s. A lot more offense.