Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should College Football Be Banned? Malcolm Gladwell's Take
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:54 pm 

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/in ... ball_.html

An interesting back-and-forth between Slate and author Malcolm Gladwell on college football and the moral hazard it presents. I'm not a fan of the exploitative NCAA structure and the use of college athletes to make millions (and billions) for others in the name of "amateurism," but I don't believe banning college football is the answer.

Advances certainly need to be made in the equipment, along with strict regulations concerning the use of the very best equipment. Rules changes may also be necessary to make the game safer. In addition, compensation for college athletes playing big-time sports should be introduced.

One issue I find fascinating is the idea that the physical danger football poses to its players will divert talented kids into other sports. After reading some of these concussion studies, I have decided that my kids will not play any form of tackle football until at least age 14, and even then, I will have to be convinced that my kids LOVE the game before I allow them to participate. Generally, I will counsel them to play less physically risky sports such as basketball, baseball and soccer. If enough people start pulling kids out of football, we'll see a huge decrease in the number of talented football players from which to field big-time NCAA programs and NFL teams. This has happened in boxing, a sport the "best athletes" in our country have largely avoided for decades now.

It may take a while, but absent significant changes in the equipment and rules of the game we all love, football will likely begin a long fall...