Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Issue With Fleury
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:25 pm 

He gives up too many juicy rebounds...especially in situations when his defense is in no position to clear the puck. I'm talking about when the opposing team gets behind our defense on the rush (which seems to happen way too often).

Our players, especially the defensive duo are in no position to clear the puck. Instead of Fleury freezing the puck and stopping play, he gives up the rebound.

He makes many initial saves but he can't stop the puck from going in the net when he gives up the rebound. He's out of position because of his acrobatic sprawling saves. He then pays the price by allowing an easy scoring chance or goal for the opposition.

There are times he NEEDS to absorb and freeze the puck and stop play. Fleury doesn't do that enough.

Post subject: Re: My Issue With Fleury
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:17 pm 

bassoondirector wrote:
He gives up too many juicy rebounds...especially in situations when his defense is in no position to clear the puck. I'm talking about when the opposing team gets behind our defense on the rush (which seems to happen way too often).

Our players, especially the defensive duo are in no position to clear the puck. Instead of Fleury freezing the puck and stopping play, he gives up the rebound.

He makes many initial saves but he can't stop the puck from going in the net when he gives up the rebound. He's out of position because of his acrobatic sprawling saves. He then pays the price by allowing an easy scoring chance or goal for the opposition.

There are times he NEEDS to absorb and freeze the puck and stop play. Fleury doesn't do that enough.

Fleury is one of the best goalies in the NHL, certainly in the top 5.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:38 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
bassoondirector wrote:

Fleury is one of the best goalies in the NHL, certainly in the top 5.

I agree 100%

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:49 pm 

The problem is the defensemen have been awful. All of them but especially Letang. He is lazy and weak in his own zone. They miss Gill and Scuderi from the Cup team. Smart and physical. The current ones don't even know where they are supposed to be half the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:55 pm 

The failure to keep the puck out of the net has been a group effort thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:03 pm 

The major problem was that the the Penguins decided to "goon it up" in the series with the Flyers. I don't know what the hell was going on, but somebody should have reminded the Penguins that they were not playing the "Broad Street Bullies" of the 70's. I can't for the life of me think why a number of the Penguins' players felt it was necessary to take dumb penalties--some of which resulted in suspensions. I just don't get it. The Penguins played away from their strength for most of the series. They got what they deserved. Yeah, Crosby, I know! You hate the Flyers. Are you enjoying the games on TV? Hopefully,. you and your colleagues have learned something. Completely juvenile!!