Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: For all you legal experts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:50 am 

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08240/907193-66.stm

The Ronney brothers want to sell their portion of the team. If they sell to Drunkenmiller, all it would take is 9 owners to block it. How can they do this?

If I owned a condo, and lived in a condo complex with an association and I found a buyer with the best offer with no age, financial, criminal or ethical issues and the condo association blocked the sale, I'd challenge them. Why cant the Rooney brothers do the same if the NFL blocks the sale just because they want Rooney in control?

Post subject: Re: For all you legal experts
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:15 am 

bullishhitter wrote:

The Ronney brothers want to sell their portion of the team. If they sell to Drunkenmiller, all it would take is 9 owners to block it. How can they do this?

If I owned a condo, and lived in a condo complex with an association and I found a buyer with the best offer with no age, financial, criminal or ethical issues and the condo association blocked the sale, I'd challenge them. Why cant the Rooney brothers do the same if the NFL blocks the sale just because they want Rooney in control?

As much as I would hate to see the Rooney's go, I thought this was a little bit underhanded. Going to the NFL to have them force the brothers into making a deal? A little selfish, don't you think? The last thing I want to see is the beloved Rooneys on the outside looking in, but I am a bit miffed at the prospect of the other brothers willing to remove their own fathers legacy from the team, for money. I just think that their situation with horse betting and gambling should be grandfathered in considering the extreme amounts of assistance and goodwill the Rooneys have offered the NFL.

This situation has now become very ugly and a stain on a classy organization.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:26 am 

Piratefan13 wrote:
bullishhitter wrote:

As much as I would hate to see the Rooney's go, I thought this was a little bit underhanded. Going to the NFL to have them force the brothers into making a deal? A little selfish, don't you think? The last thing I want to see is the beloved Rooneys on the outside looking in, but I am a bit miffed at the prospect of the other brothers willing to remove their own fathers legacy from the team, for money. I just think that their situation with horse betting and gambling should be grandfathered in considering the extreme amounts of assistance and goodwill the Rooneys have offered the NFL.

This situation has now become very ugly and a stain on a classy organization.

I think the gaming issue is an excuse. There seems to be bitterness between the brothers. Happens all the time with families. I too want Rooney in control, but if I was one of the brothers who wanted to sell, I'd want to get my best offer and move on and not be held up by some good'ol boys network.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:40 pm 

I don't practice civil law (a contradiction in terms if there ever was one), so I'll make an analogy and do some speculating: Down here in Florida, there are many condominium complexes (For the record, I am also a condo owner). All condominiums must have written condo documents (commonly referred to as "condo docs") Essentially, condo docs are the bylaws and rules of the community. They tell what is permitted and what is forbidden. Some condo docs have provisions that when a condo is sold, the sale must be approved by the board and/or all condos for sale must first be offered to fellow owners to purchase. Perhaps the NFL has a similar agreement amongst owners? Perhaps owners must agree to ownership bylaws set by the league regarding transfer of ownership?

It would sadden me if the Rooneys were no longer the majority owners of the Steelers. Right now, the only thing that separates the best owners in sports from arguably the worst is a parking lot and a few small office buildings.