Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go Steelers!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:19 pm 

I think the Steelers would have been a Super Bowl team this year but with Roethlisberger's injury, I will be happy with a win today because I think that will be it.

For the record, I called it a mistake before when they played him after he got hurt. The Steelers and some other teams have already proven you can win being a 5 or 6 seed. I have serious doubts the Steelers can beat good teams with Roethlisberger hobbled.

Post subject: Re: Go Steelers!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:15 pm 

Disgusting. Just disgusting. Horrible. Cannot believe this. Ike Taylor may be playing the worst game of his career.

It will take a miracle to pull this one out, and even if that happens the good guys have so many key players hurt that they'll probably be made mincemeat of next week: Mendenhall, Pouncey, Starks, Legursky, Keisel, Hampton.

Geez. What a way for the season to end . . .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:16 pm 

I'm not shocked by the result. I predicted it four/five weeks ago.

I am, however, shocked that Dick LeBeau and company completely disrepsected the Broncos deep passing ability.

You cannot leave ANY QB wide-open receivers all game long.

Hats off to Denver.

Chin up Steelers fans. There's always next year.

Add some O/D line and some DB's and the team will be better next year. Maybe draft a RB in the middle rounds, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
I'm not shocked by the result. I predicted it four/five weeks ago.

I am, however, shocked that Dick LeBeau and company completely disrepsected the Broncos deep passing ability.

You cannot leave ANY QB wide-open receivers all game long.

Hats off to Denver.

Chin up Steelers fans. There's always next year.

Add some O/D line and some DB's and the team will be better next year. Maybe draft a RB in the middle rounds, too.

Playing cover zero all day was a huge strategic gaffe by Lebeau. We didn't need 9 guys in the box to play run defense, even without Big Snack in there. The teams that made Tebow look silly played cover 2 and made him throw it accurately underneath, something he obviously can't do. We let him just chuck it deep over and over again. He averaged 31.6 yards per completion!

That said the game was won if not for so many If's. 1st and 10 at their 45 with plenty of time left should have been enough to grab a few more yards and kick the game winner. Then there was Wallace's drop at 7-6 in the debacle 2nd quarter, you score there and who knows, but I doubt they put up 20 pts in that quarter.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:42 pm 

If you told me at the beginning of the day, we would score 23 points, I would say victory. It was a total meltdown by the defense, especially Ike Taylor. They basically put everything on him and couldn't handle it. Three passes over 40 yards and an interference penalty to boot.

With that said, Big Ben not resting the final three weeks of the regular season irks me. If he is healthy and Steelers go out to a 14-0 lead instead of 6-0, I don't know if Denver comes back.

I will put my whiny fan hat on for a second. The officiating in that game was atrocious - both ways and I am totally convinced James Harrison is a targeted man by the NFL.

On the first series, Ben was hit cleanly, but then was driven into the ground. No flag. If that was Peyton or Marcia Brady, would have definitely been 15. That's the price you pay for being perceived as tough. Also, if Harrison had driven Tebow into the ground the same way, 15 yards and a fine, no doubt. Then Harrison get's his own 15 yard roughing the passer that would not have been called on anyone else in the league. Also, Harrison was held at least four obvious times on his outside rush, but no calls.

The refs also helped the Steelers with that early whistle on the lateral. Kept them in the game.

Finally, the hit on David Johnson was not helmet to helmet, but what happened to the defenseless receiver call that has been called on at least six occasions against the Steelers this season. Hypocritical.

Ok, I am done whining. Not a bad season for the Steelers, but definitely a bad loss to end the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:19 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Ok, I am done whining. Not a bad season for the Steelers, but definitely a bad loss to end the season.

Yeah. And it's interesting to read the fan comments after Smizik's blogs today. They show people taking last night's defeat hard. I didn't keep tabs, but the blame being heaped on Tomlin and both coordinators is amazingly heavy. Several call for all three of them to be fired -- or, in the cases of Arians and Dick LeBeau, at least forced to retire. And for the ties to be cut with Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Hoke, Foote, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Kemoeatu, Willie Colon, James Harrison, Suisham, and Mewelde Moore.

All to be expected, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:02 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
And for the ties to be cut with Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Hoke, Foote, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Kemoeatu, Willie Colon, James Harrison, Suisham, and Mewelde Moore.

Seriously, almost all of that list should go except Foote, Colon, and Harrison. They are mainly guys that cost too much for their level of production (due to age) or just arn't very good to start with. Add in McFadden, Scott, and W.Allen too. Looks like Hines will announce his retirement soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Yeah. And it's interesting to read the fan comments after Smizik's blogs today. They show people taking last night's defeat hard. I didn't keep tabs, but the blame being heaped on Tomlin and both coordinators is amazingly heavy. Several call for all three of them to be fired -- or, in the cases of Arians and Dick LeBeau, at least forced to retire. And for the ties to be cut with Hines Ward, Casey Hampton, Hoke, Foote, Farrior, Aaron Smith, Kemoeatu, Willie Colon, James Harrison, Suisham, and Mewelde Moore.

All to be expected, I guess.

Come on? All things considered, the offense did okay in this game. Scoring 23 points should have been enough to beat the Broncos. I don't know WHAT happened with Ike Taylor.

But let's look at that list.
LeBeau's defense was #1 in the league.

All things considered, who would you rather have as your #5 receiver...Ward or a rookie? If Ward were the #5 guy and rested most of the season, until late season injuries started popping up, he would be a very good option.

Hampton still played very well this year. He would not be a bad backup at all, if the price were right, but the bad thing is, he probably is still the best NT on the roster.

Foote played very well this year, even better than Farrior in many games.

When healthy, Harrison is still a great player.

Suisham was okay. Colon is certainly a servicable backup.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ike's problems stemmed mostly from a couple of safeties overplaying the run in a cover 3 scheme. He did get beat, and he did not make an absolutely necessary tackle on the final play, but he was also left out to dry a couple times by both safeties.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:27 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Playing cover zero all day was a huge strategic gaffe by Lebeau. We didn't need 9 guys in the box to play run defense, even without Big Snack in there. The teams that made Tebow look silly played cover 2 and made him throw it accurately underneath, something he obviously can't do. We let him just chuck it deep over and over again. He averaged 31.6 yards per completion!

With each post you make you convince me of your great wisdom.

Are you a coach of any sport on any level? Because you're a smart cat.

Agree to the utmost.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:30 pm 

Animal wrote:
But let's look at that list.
LeBeau's defense was #1 in the league.

To be fair, the Steelers schedule was incredibly weak and aided by injuries to Peyton Manning and Matt Cassel/Jamaal Charles.

I know they can only beat the teams on their slate, but it was an easy slate.

As for 'who to cut ties with'...

Ward is done as a productive player. Keeping him is purely sentimental/inspirational ('locker room guy') at this point.

Harrison/Hampton/Farrior/Kemoeatu have seen better days, but might have one more good year in them. They're worth keeping for one more shot at a title.

Fringe guys like Moore/Foote/McFadden can probably be cut, but considering the Steelers history as non-FA players, I don't think they can 'clean slate' for another year and only if they hit big in the draft.

I actually think this loss is a good thing.

The Steelers seem to 'coast' every other year or two.

This kind of loss may wake up the players and/or coaching staff and invigorate them to play at a level similar to 05/08/last year.

I'm confident the Steelers will get angry with this loss... as they should and for the better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 am 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Agree to the utmost.

I spit my beverage all over my screen when I read this one...

;) :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:52 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Yeah pretty much. Again assign your blame at folks who did not execute. LeBeau did not play "no coverage" defense. That is silly. Basic cover3 w/ the usual TP improv but no Ryan Clarke to cover for him. Mundy overreacts as he has done since Michigan and leaves corners on island.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
Yeah pretty much. Again assign your blame at folks who did not execute. LeBeau did not play "no coverage" defense. That is silly. Basic cover3 w/ the usual TP improv but no Ryan Clarke to cover for him. Mundy overreacts as he has done since Michigan and leaves corners on island.

ZM, it was cover zero, not "no coverage". That means both safeties up at the line of scrimmage and no over the top help which is exactly the D they were in on the fateful play. The Broncos had run on 21 of 22 1st downs up to that point, so it was a calculated gamble.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 am 

BBF wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Agree to the utmost.

I spit my beverage all over my screen when I read this one...

;) :lol:

Thanks for the compliment NS, BBF has the right to chuckle since he did some of his grad school training with me. I actually can't wait to coach my son in about 3 more years :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:07 pm 

Tebow conspiracy now? Hmmmm...

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_19706529

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:47 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

Well, I don't know that it ought to be considered a conspiracy. But the pic does appear to show an illegal formation. Not that anything can be done about it now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:05 pm 

I know Bob. Just playing with the whole Tebow thing. It's funny. I predicted the next day would be Tebow, Tebow and Tebow and nobody would even talk about Thomas who really made the play. Not that it was a hard prediction.

That call is made sometimes and sometimes it's not. More problems with NFL rules etc. Periera kills me with his comments though. He will defend the NFL to the end. He reminds me of the PR guy back when we invaded Iraq in the 90's. He had bombs landing behind him and was saying there is no invasion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:56 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

I'm upset this isn't the John 3:16 'conspiracy'.

Tebow finished with 31.6 yds/comp and 316 pass yards...