Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ATTN: LtCol Kojak Slaphead
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:53 pm 

The Red Sox/child molestation scandal finally made the news locally today . . . if only because two more young men have accused the visiting clubhhouse manager of victimizing them in the early 1990s. Each reportedly is seeking a cash settlement of $5 million from the team. For what it's worth, in at least one case the lawyer successfully represented victims in the Catholic priest molestation scandal.

What's different about this second wave of complainants is that their molestation apparently took place in Fenway Park (as opposed to the former Winter Haven, Fla., spring training base).

We'll have to see how much coverage this gets, but so far it has been fairly minimal. Certainly nowhere near the Sandusky level.

I was in the news business here back in '03, when the Red Sox agreed to a $3.5 million settlement with the first wave of victims. But my focus was elsewhere (geopolitics) and I just don't remember whether the story received any play locally at the time. I tend to think it didn't, but I could be wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time.)

Post subject: Re: ATTN: LtCol Kojak Slaphead
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:43 pm 

The charges are decades old and the (alleged) perp is several years dead. I imagine the Sox will settle out of court with the claimants as discreetly as they can. The organization certainly got off lightly in 2002, though, financially and PR-wise.

Thanks for the update, Bob.

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.