Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uh-oh: A child molestation scandal at Syracuse now?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:06 pm 

The allegations parallel the Sandusky case in that a prominent assistant coach is under investigation, school facilities are said to have been used, out-of-state trips were involved, and the incidents (if true) took place over several years. The story is being reported tonight by the Syracuse Post-Standard . . .

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2011/11/assistant_syracuse_university.html

and, naturally, by ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7248184/syracuse-police-investigating-bernie-fine-molesting-boy-1980s

Anyone think these are the only two schools where this type of abuse may have been connected to the athletic program?

Post subject: Re: Uh-oh: A child molestation scandal at Syracuse now?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:58 am 

You never want to make light of allegations of this nature, but Fine was investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing by the university in 2005. The alleged victim brought the story to ESPN in 2003, who didn't run with it due to a lack of credibility. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Bob, did you look at the Jeff Passan article I linked a few days ago about the Red Sox clubhouse molestation scandal? Is this getting any play up in New England?

http://www.thepostgame.com/features/201111/another-era-and-another-sport-sex-abuse-scandal-still-inflicting-pain-today

Small ball is the hobgoblin of small minds.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:26 am 

LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:
You never want to make light of allegations of this nature, but Fine was investigated and cleared of any wrongdoing by the university in 2005. The alleged victim brought the story to ESPN in 2003, who didn't run with it due to a lack of credibility. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Bob, did you look at the Jeff Passan article I linked a few days ago about the Red Sox clubhouse molestation scandal? Is this getting any play up in New England?[/url]

Don't know that "due to a lack of credibility" is quite accurate. What ESPN has been citing is a lack of "corroboration." That is a significant difference. I tuned in this morning to a Boston sports talk program on which the hosts were suggesting that alleged Victim No. 1 has plane and game tickets as well as photographs proving he was with the coach at the times he claims. Don't know where they got that information. But if it's good information that would seem to me to reflect badly at least on head coach Boeheim, who has vehemently defended his assistant and flatly denied on the air that Victim No. 1 ever traveled with the team or that he ever saw the kid in the assistant coach's hotel room. Boeheim is suggesting that the two alleged victims are just looking for a payday.

Then there's this: Syracuse police chief Dennis DuVal was a star on Boeheim's teams in the early 1970s. Hmmm.

Not that I am casting any aspersions, you understand.

As you say, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The New York papers are on the case now, too.

RE: the Passan piece, yes I read it. But if it's getting any play in the Boston media -- other than on a few blogs -- I'm not aware of that. Anecdotally, I got my hair cut two days ago and asked the barber, a huge and well-informed Red Sox fan, if he'd heard anything about it. Nope. And he clearly wasn't interested in learning any more. Nor had an ex-ballplayer friend of mine who lives up on the North Shore and with whom I visit on the phone from time to time. So take that for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:52 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
LtCol Kojak Slaphead wrote:

Bob, did you look at the Jeff Passan article I linked a few days ago about the Red Sox clubhouse molestation scandal? Is this getting any play up in New England?[/url]

Don't know that "due to a lack of credibility" is quite accurate. What ESPN has been citing is a lack of "corroboration." That is a significant difference. I tuned in this morning to a Boston sports talk program on which the hosts were suggesting that alleged Victim No. 1 has plane and game tickets as well as photographs proving he was with the coach at the times he claims. Don't know where they got that information. But if it's good information that would seem to me to reflect badly at least on head coach Boeheim, who has vehemently defended his assistant and flatly denied on the air that Victim No. 1 ever traveled with the team or that he ever saw the kid in the assistant coach's hotel room. Boeheim is suggesting that the two alleged victims are just looking for a payday.

Then there's this: Syracuse police chief Dennis DuVal was a star on Boeheim's teams in the early 1970s. Hmmm.

Not that I am casting any aspersions, you understand.

As you say, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out. The New York papers are on the case now, too.

RE: the Passan piece, yes I read it. But if it's getting any play in the Boston media -- other than on a few blogs -- I'm not aware of that. Anecdotally, I got my hair cut two days ago and asked the barber, a huge and well-informed Red Sox fan, if he'd heard anything about it. Nope. And he clearly wasn't interested in learning any more. Nor had an ex-ballplayer friend of mine who lives up on the North Shore and with whom I visit on the phone from time to time. So take that for what it's worth.

Being a Syracuse grad, I hope this isn't true. But I am proud of the way the University has handled the PR surrounding it. They have been transparent since it broke. I received an e-mail from the University with everything outlined and explained. They weren't professing innocence or discrediting the victims. They were just very organized in their handling of this situation. No offense to Penn State, but you can tell who is known for their Communications School and who is known for their Agriculture and Weathermen.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:27 pm 

Looks as though I need to correct something I wrote above. NY Daily News says that Dennis DuVal had been police chief in Syracuse but retired in '04. My bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:02 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Being a Syracuse grad, I hope this isn't true. But I am proud of the way the University has handled the PR surrounding it. They have been transparent since it broke. I received an e-mail from the University with everything outlined and explained. They weren't professing innocence or discrediting the victims. They were just very organized in their handling of this situation. No offense to Penn State, but you can tell who is known for their Communications School and who is known for their Agriculture and Weathermen.

It may yet turn out not to be true. Unfortunately, the latest developments suggest otherwise.

Meanwhile, what does it say about ESPN that for nine years it sat on a strikingly candid audio tape on which the coach's own wife freely acknowledges she knew what her husband was up to with young boys? (Not that she comes across as noble either.)

I'm reading that ESPN's staff is riddled with graduates of the Newhhouse School of Communications at Syracuse. If true, that may explain why the tape was suppressed for so long. I do know there are at least a few, among them Sean McDonough and Mike Tirico, although I wouldn't expect those two guys to be making editorial decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:34 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

It may yet turn out not to be true. Unfortunately, the latest developments suggest otherwise.

Meanwhile, what does it say about ESPN that for nine years it sat on a strikingly candid audio tape on which the coach's own wife freely acknowledges she knew what her husband was up to with young boys? (Not that she comes across as noble either.)

I'm reading that ESPN's staff is riddled with graduates of the Newhhouse School of Communications at Syracuse. If true, that may explain why the tape was suppressed for so long. I do know there are at least a few, among them Sean McDonough and Mike Tirico, although I wouldn't expect those two guys to be making editorial decisions.

Fine's wife saying tapes are doctored. This is going to get interesting.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/27/justice/syracuse-coach-allegations/index.html?hpt=hp_t3