Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steeler/Colts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 am 

The Steelers sure don't look like Super Bowl contenders this year. The offensive line is a mess. Jonathan Scott has no business being out there, but I guess we have no one better. Legursky is a backup, now an injured one, and Gilbert is too raw but forced into the fire.

Hines Ward needs to make this his last year. And the defense really is old and slow.

And what was with the play calling? We kept pounding the run despite having no success at it. We gained 2.4 yards per play on the ground and 9.2 on pass attempts, and yet we ran the ball 28 times. WTF?

The bright spot is the trio of young wide receivers we have. They look awesome. And of course Ben is still there for us but he needs an offensive line.

Post subject: Re: Steeler/Colts
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:04 pm 

The worrisome part for me was the poor run defense (and of course the O-line, but not too many teams sport Freeney/Mathis). That's twice now we have been gashed by opponents and Seattle never really tried to run against us. Woodley has been invisible, Timmons mainly see-through, and Aaron Smith looks like he's done. I was also stunned to see Big Snack get dominated by Jeff Saturday. If we can't stop the run, then we are mediocre on D with just a few playmakers. At least on the plus side, Troy is flying around, Silverback looked better last night, and Ike is as lockdown as ever one on one (barring that horrible jump the route gaffe that should have cost us 6).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:24 pm 

Yes that's the best Troy has looked in a long time. Once McCoy came in he was blitzing every play and disrupting most of them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:01 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
The Steelers sure don't look like Super Bowl contenders this year. The offensive line is a mess. Jonathan Scott has no business being out there, but I guess we have no one better. Legursky is a backup, now an injured one, and Gilbert is too raw but forced into the fire.

Hines Ward needs to make this his last year. And the defense really is old and slow.

And what was with the play calling? We kept pounding the run despite having no success at it. We gained 2.4 yards per play on the ground and 9.2 on pass attempts, and yet we ran the ball 28 times. WTF?

The bright spot is the trio of young wide receivers we have. They look awesome. And of course Ben is still there for us but he needs an offensive line.

All valid points which I agree with.

However, for the sake of it...

I didn't think the Steelers were Super Bowl contenders last year either. They certainly didn't look like one until week 11.

Their first four game they were without BB, then he came back and they went 3-2 with two <7 pt wins and two losses to quality teams (NO and NE).

Then they finished 6-1 down the stretch and came thisclose to winning title #7.

I know the odds, I know the Steelers are getting old, I know they play bad the year after making the Super Bowl, I know the OL is a mess and I know Bruce Arians is the devil, but...

Try this challenge Steeler nation:
Name me SIX AFC teams better than them this year...

Can't do it, can you?

So if they can get into the playoffs, why not the Steelers?

All it should take is 10 regular season wins and then 2-3 more to get to Indy.

The only team who has the team's # are the Pats.

I doubted last year, but I can't doubt this year because I'm too jaded and because the schedule is too dang easy.

Last edited by NSMaster56 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:50 pm 

I actually am not worried about the offensive line as much as our run defense. One thing the Steelers always have done is stopped the run and run the ball on offense. James Farrior has missed a ton of tackles and he used to be the heart of that run defense. Heck, he is sitting half the game now for Larry Foote.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 pm 

I haven't watched enough football yet to name six, but I can name 4 teams better than the Steelers right now. Jets, Pats, Ravens, and Packers. We couldn't beat any of those.

I do realize that you never know. They've looked bad before and always seem to find a way.