Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am
Posts: 3688
Location: Economy, PA
What a bummer. I still hate Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College because of their defection to the ACC. Now Pitt's guilty of the same thing so I guess I hate Pitt too.

Now I'm glad they choked yesterday and got outscored 21-0 in the final 10 minutes. Serves them right.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:03 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
This needs to be looked at in a (men's) basketball context. The implications for football are not significant. Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

But if adding Syracuse and Pitt don't make the ACC the most dominant basketball conference in the country, I don't know what will.

Duke, plus North Carolina, plus Syracuse, plus Pitt: What other league will have four schools at the top that are more powerful? What other league east of the Rocky Mountains will able to out-recruit the ACC? While they're at it, they should just go ahead and add UConn as well.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:52 pm
Posts: 5516
Location: Pittsburgh
Bob in Boston wrote:
This needs to be looked at in a (men's) basketball context. The implications for football are not significant. Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

But if adding Syracuse and Pitt don't make the ACC the most dominant basketball conference in the country, I don't know what will.

Duke, plus North Carolina, plus Syracuse, plus Pitt: What other league will have four schools at the top that are more powerful? What other league east of the Rocky Mountains will able to out-recruit the ACC? While they're at it, they should just go ahead and add UConn as well.

If another team goes i'd much prefer that it was West Virginia. In fact, if I was running Pitt the inclusion of West Virginia would have been mandatory.

_________________
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Keystone State
The situation is a little different Ralphie. When those three school you mentioned left, it was strictly financial. SU and Pitt both did this as a defense mechanism because the super conferences are coming and they don't want to be left out. In the end, they will make more money, but if they didn't make this move, both football programs could have been in big trouble.

And I don't like it, but I don't blame them.

Sisy: WVU is going to end up in the SEC. They can still play Pitt, just like Iowa still plays Iowa State or Colorado always plays Colorado St.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:09 pm
Posts: 868
No doubt about all the basketball ramifications. Here is something else. If Pitt goes to the ACC, that means the Eastern Wrestling League of which Pitt is a member will lose its currently strongest team. It will reduce the league to six teams with no hope of finding a replacement. If both Pitt and WVU went to the ACC, the EWL would be down to 5 teams--all of which would be PSAC teams plus Cleveland State. Such an eventuality could prove to be death knell for the EWL.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:21 pm 
Offline
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:09 pm
Posts: 2083
Location: Hingham, MA
Bob in Boston wrote:
Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

Hmmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. It has been a long time since Syracuse looked as good as it did last night. That was a butt-whipping.

_________________
If you think nobody notices you and you're all alone, try not paying your bills.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Keystone State
Bob in Boston wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

Hmmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. It has been a long time since Syracuse looked as good as it did last night. That was a butt-whipping.


Proud alum I am. Marrone has done a good job. That was the perfect storm for the Orange. They were coming off a bye week and got three key defensive starters back from injuries.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
Nice to see another alum here.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Keystone State
Class of '90, ZM. Attended the 1988 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. Funny thing is I grew up a Pitt fan and had to abandon them when I enrolled at SU. Ended up being a good sports move.

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:24 pm
Posts: 4270
Location: Zelienople, PA
bucco boy wrote:
Class of '90, ZM. Attended the 1988 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. Funny thing is I grew up a Pitt fan and had to abandon them when I enrolled at SU. Ended up being a good sports move.


I'm a graduate school guy. Was there to open the Dome in '80.

ZM

_________________
Someone tell Votto... rbis are good


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm
Posts: 6239
Location: Keystone State
ZelieMike wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
Class of '90, ZM. Attended the 1988 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. Funny thing is I grew up a Pitt fan and had to abandon them when I enrolled at SU. Ended up being a good sports move.


I'm a graduate school guy. Was there to open the Dome in '80.

ZM

No place like Dome

_________________
The Bucs are going all the way, all the way this year!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:50 pm
Posts: 700
The Big East is utter crap and the leadership is completely incompetent. It's such an unstable conference that any team would have accepted this invitation.

It's going to be a great move for Pitt and Syracuse.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
 Profile

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 5181
Location: Washington, DC
See my Blue Devils play Pitt every year will be quite fun. I'm looking forward to it.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group  
Design By Poker Bandits