Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 am 

What a bummer. I still hate Miami, Virginia Tech, and Boston College because of their defection to the ACC. Now Pitt's guilty of the same thing so I guess I hate Pitt too.

Now I'm glad they choked yesterday and got outscored 21-0 in the final 10 minutes. Serves them right.

Post subject: Re: Pitt to the ACC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:03 pm 

This needs to be looked at in a (men's) basketball context. The implications for football are not significant. Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

But if adding Syracuse and Pitt don't make the ACC the most dominant basketball conference in the country, I don't know what will.

Duke, plus North Carolina, plus Syracuse, plus Pitt: What other league will have four schools at the top that are more powerful? What other league east of the Rocky Mountains will able to out-recruit the ACC? While they're at it, they should just go ahead and add UConn as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:02 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
This needs to be looked at in a (men's) basketball context. The implications for football are not significant. Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

But if adding Syracuse and Pitt don't make the ACC the most dominant basketball conference in the country, I don't know what will.

Duke, plus North Carolina, plus Syracuse, plus Pitt: What other league will have four schools at the top that are more powerful? What other league east of the Rocky Mountains will able to out-recruit the ACC? While they're at it, they should just go ahead and add UConn as well.

If another team goes i'd much prefer that it was West Virginia. In fact, if I was running Pitt the inclusion of West Virginia would have been mandatory.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:34 am 

The situation is a little different Ralphie. When those three school you mentioned left, it was strictly financial. SU and Pitt both did this as a defense mechanism because the super conferences are coming and they don't want to be left out. In the end, they will make more money, but if they didn't make this move, both football programs could have been in big trouble.

And I don't like it, but I don't blame them.

Sisy: WVU is going to end up in the SEC. They can still play Pitt, just like Iowa still plays Iowa State or Colorado always plays Colorado St.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:53 am 

No doubt about all the basketball ramifications. Here is something else. If Pitt goes to the ACC, that means the Eastern Wrestling League of which Pitt is a member will lose its currently strongest team. It will reduce the league to six teams with no hope of finding a replacement. If both Pitt and WVU went to the ACC, the EWL would be down to 5 teams--all of which would be PSAC teams plus Cleveland State. Such an eventuality could prove to be death knell for the EWL.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:21 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

Hmmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. It has been a long time since Syracuse looked as good as it did last night. That was a butt-whipping.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Bob in Boston wrote:
Neither Pitt nor (especially) Syracuse likely will be competing for ACC championships in the fall with Florida State, Virginia Tech, or -- say -- Clemson for the forseeable future.

Hmmm, perhaps I spoke too soon. It has been a long time since Syracuse looked as good as it did last night. That was a butt-whipping.

Proud alum I am. Marrone has done a good job. That was the perfect storm for the Orange. They were coming off a bye week and got three key defensive starters back from injuries.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:43 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Nice to see another alum here.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:33 pm 

Class of '90, ZM. Attended the 1988 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. Funny thing is I grew up a Pitt fan and had to abandon them when I enrolled at SU. Ended up being a good sports move.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:22 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
Class of '90, ZM. Attended the 1988 Sugar Bowl against Auburn. Funny thing is I grew up a Pitt fan and had to abandon them when I enrolled at SU. Ended up being a good sports move.

I'm a graduate school guy. Was there to open the Dome in '80.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:09 am 

ZelieMike wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

I'm a graduate school guy. Was there to open the Dome in '80.

ZM

No place like Dome

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:40 pm 

The Big East is utter crap and the leadership is completely incompetent. It's such an unstable conference that any team would have accepted this invitation.

It's going to be a great move for Pitt and Syracuse.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:24 pm 

See my Blue Devils play Pitt every year will be quite fun. I'm looking forward to it.