Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:28 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: March Insanity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 am 

Can anyone explain the logic of having two "12 seeds" play their way into the round of 64?

How does it make any sense to effectively give a bye to 16 seeds while making supposed 12 seeds win a game to get to that round?

Post subject: Re: March Insanity
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:12 pm 

It's two fold. When they expanded the field to 68, they expanded the at large bids by 4. So four teams that wouldn't make the field in the past are making the field. Part of the deal was to make those four play-in rather than punish more smaller conference teams play an extra game. Don't forget, the tournament is never the best 68 teams in the country. Automatic bid teams take up 31 spots. Some have entered the tourney with losing records. The 37 at-large should be the best 37 teams that didn't receive an automatic bid.

The second part of this is TV. They wanted to have teams like Clemson and Southern Cal playing in those first games so it would create more interest for the viewers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:15 pm 
 WWW  Profile

The four added teams has created an anti-climactic start to the tournament. Thursday used to be such a special day (and don't get me wrong, it still is) but the forced hype has taken some serious steam out of the opening rounds.

Iowa State Cyclones (1-3) at #21 Oklahoma State Cowboys (3-1)
Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
11:00 AM
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:29 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Can anyone explain the logic of having two "12 seeds" play their way into the round of 64?

Does anything the NCAA does have any sense of logic to it other than rake in as much money as they can? I think not. :? :? :? 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:46 pm 

Thanks for the explanation Bucco Boy. I wasn't aware of that. I understand the logic but don't agree with it. I prefer limiting the field to 64, but if you are going to have 68, it should be the 4 weakest teams playing in, regardless of how they got their bid.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:49 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Ralphie wrote:

Does anything the NCAA does have any sense of logic to it other than rake in as much money as they can? I think not. :? :? :? 8-) 8-) 8-)

Time to bust out a... THIS!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Thanks for the explanation Bucco Boy. I wasn't aware of that. I understand the logic but don't agree with it. I prefer limiting the field to 64, but if you are going to have 68, it should be the 4 weakest teams playing in, regardless of how they got their bid.

A lot of people don't agree with it, but they just didn't want to pile on the little guy anymore. Honestly, it doesn't effect my view either way. On Thursday, there is balanced 64 team tournament starting to decide a legit champion of D-I college basketball (unlike football) and that's all I care about.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:25 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
On Thursday, there is balanced 64 team tournament starting to decide a legit champion of D-I college basketball (unlike football) and that's all I care about.

In my opinion every single team is in the tournament. Iowa State sucked this season but had a chance to make the field if they won the Big 12 Tournament. They didn't, they are home. Expanding to 65 and now 68 is a slippery slope. Bad, bad, bad idea. The ratings were horrible last night too. The Beef O' Brady Bowl had a 2.0 rating this past December and the games last night had a 1.2 rating.

Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:48 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
On Thursday, there is balanced 64 team tournament starting to decide a legit champion of D-I college basketball (unlike football) and that's all I care about.

In my opinion every single team is in the tournament. Iowa State sucked this season but had a chance to make the field if they won the Big 12 Tournament. They didn't, they are home. Expanding to 65 and now 68 is a slippery slope. Bad, bad, bad idea. The ratings were horrible last night too. The Beef O' Brady Bowl had a 2.0 rating this past December and the games last night had a 1.2 rating.

Was that because of the level of interest or the fact it was on TruTV (which I don't get). If those games were on ESPN, the ratings would have been much higher.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:57 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
Was that because of the level of interest or the fact it was on TruTV (which I don't get). If those games were on ESPN, the ratings would have been much higher.

Being on TruTV had something to do with it but I also think people don't really care. I know there are games on TruTV on Thursday morning and I guarantee much, much higher ratings than 1.2.

Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:02 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

Being on TruTV had something to do with it but I also think people don't really care. I know there are games on TruTV on Thursday morning and I guarantee much, much higher ratings than 1.2.

It's definitely for the hoops junkie. I would rather watch the play-in games than an NBA playoff game. I love college basketball, especially in March.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:45 pm 
 WWW  Profile

Last night's ratings were an astonishing .7. Ouch.

Boone Pickens Stadium
October 4, 2014
Fox Sports 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
Last night's ratings were an astonishing .7. Ouch.

It's not surprising to me. I would doubt that the 1-16 to 3-14 games get good ratings either.

While I'm not sure, I would think the games with the best ratings are the games with teh most upset potential (4-13 to 8-9).

A 12-12 or 16-16 game, no matter the day/channel seems like ratings poison to me.

I doubt there is a huge VCU, Alabama St., etc. following.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:31 am 

I still think that this tournament is spectacular. FWIW, iPhone and iPad owners/hoops fans should download the March Madness On Demand App. It is free and lets you watch any game on your iPhone/iPad. Made sitting in my office yesterday much more enjoyable.

There is a similar app if you want to watch The Masters (also free).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:47 am 

I agree, No. 9. The tourney with the exception of two things has been great. The studio with the NBA guys is awful. I watched ESPN Gameday after the Syracuse at 1 am last night and it was Rece Davis, Dickie V, Jay Bilas and Hubert Davis. Awesome analysis! The other thing is TruTV. I don't get it so it forced me online last night.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:56 pm 

Day 1 was really fun. Day 2 there was less drama but fun none the less. I have watched two days worth and about 7 pm each day, I am in a slightly dazed state. Looking forward to today and tomorrow. 8-) 8-) 8-)