Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boys In Girls Sports and Vice-versa...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:44 pm 

What did all of you think about that female wrestler in the state tournament in Iowa? For those of you unfamiliar, a boy forfeited to her in the state tournament because he said wrestling a girl was against his religion.

My daughter is just beginning lacrosse season and they will play several teams with some boys.

In the fall, she played Field Hockey and it was the same. In fact, a team from Greensburg Central Catholic had 6 boys in their starting 11 and they did not come out of the game at all. First off, it's a safety issue. The boys hit the ball much harder. We had girls who were getting massive bruises and even concussions from getting hit by balls the boys hit. In addition, they are generally just better, stronger, and faster than the girls. And third, I think it is just not fair to the girls sitting on the bench while the boys took their positions.

Several Field Hockey powerhouses in the WPIAL would not put their girls at risk and forfeited agaist them. GCC subsequently went undefeated in the regular season and lost the playoff finals the day after their best boy got hurt in a car accident and could not play.

There are a couple teams who had one or two boys, but that was quite different than having more boys on the field than girls.

Kiski Area high school had a big tall boy on their girls volleyball team who was so much better than all the girls.

What is your thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Boys In Girls Sports and Vice-versa...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:04 pm 

It's insane. What are the schools thinking? Must be lawyers involved. Moronic parents too. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm 

I hate this too, It's all the equality stuff which I kind of understand. But I look at it this way. If my daughter or son wants to play a sport and my school district doesn't have it for their specific sex, then there is two choices - Move to a district (or private school) that does or don't play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:39 pm 

I don't think it's right that boys can play in girls sports and vise versa just because the school district doesn't offer the sport for their sex. There are plenty of other sports to play for their own sex.

The league should be able to mandate that only players from a certain sex will be acceptable and that it doesn't matter if a school doesn't offer the particular sport for both sexes. If you have a female lacrosse league and a few boys are on only one team and dominate, that defeats the entire purpose of the league.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 pm 

Not a fan of "cross-gender" sports participation. Seriously, playing against girls?

Some sports are gender-based, and do not have a program for the "other" gender (football, wrestling for boys, field hockey, softball for girls). That is the way it is, for crying out loud.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:24 pm 

In Pennsylvania girls are allowed to wrestle on the boys team...

I am not a fan of it...The five years I coached, I had 2 girls come out for the team. They quit by the end of the 1st week.

I made my practices so hard and intense to weed out the weak...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...