Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So where do the Steelers go from here?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:11 pm 

In the coming draft, I mean. Offensive tackle(s)? Cornerback? Inside linebacker? Nose tackle?

Keep in mind that their turn won't come until the 31st pick in the first round (barring a trade). Seems to me that with so much age (Farrior, Flozell Adams, Hampton, Hoke, Keisel), plus serious injuries at key positions (Aaron Smith, Starks, Willie Colon), it may be a while before they're Super Bowl participants again. Meanwhile, the Jets, Patriots, Ravens, and maybe even Kansas City are closing fast.

Post subject: Re: So where do the Steelers go from here?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:31 pm 

Honestly, it was a team loss, but they have to replace William Gay and bring in better corners. Find someone to start opposite Ike Taylor (who is a free agent). McFadden can go to the nickel. The secondary is the weakest part of the team, not the offensive line. Gay was awful in coverage most of the season and they targeted him in the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 pm 

I'm not too worried about the Steelers chances the next 2-3 years. Sure a few guys are getting older (Hines, Hampton, Farrior, Troy, Smith...), but the main corps is intact.

For the most part, I think DB's and OL should be the main focus and bulk of FA's signed/draft picks (Of course, this is subject to change depending on what happens with Hampton and Ike).

Sure B-More, the Pats and Colts are constantly good and the J-E-T-S and Chiefs look like up and comers, but the they're getting older, too and also have holes to exploit.

Plus, I'm fairly certain that the Steelers get to play the NFC West next year (if there is a season). That should be an easy 3 or 4 wins there.

Shore up the secondary and OL and get healthy and this team can make another title run or two.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:00 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Shore up OL, Depth on DL -projects, and 4-5 depth corners.

Maybe another RB if you don't think Dwyer will develop.

Ironically, the brother of one young, pro-bowl center is projected right at the 30-40 slot in the draft.

ZM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:40 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
In the coming draft, I mean. Offensive tackle(s)? Cornerback? Inside linebacker? Nose tackle?

Keep in mind that their turn won't come until the 31st pick in the first round (barring a trade). Seems to me that with so much age (Farrior, Flozell Adams, Hampton, Hoke, Keisel), plus serious injuries at key positions (Aaron Smith, Starks, Willie Colon), it may be a while before they're Super Bowl participants again. Meanwhile, the Jets, Patriots, Ravens, and maybe even Kansas City are closing fast.

What draft? With no agreement with the players, can they even have a draft?

Don't worry about the Steelers next year. Worry about the lockout. I think the players association may finally show that they have some balls for the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:42 pm 

The draft is happening lockout or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 am 

Taylor and Woodley are two big free agents they need to hold on to...I'm concerned they will only keep one, so definitely need to draft the position you lose between those two.

Definitely need a Defensive back, Offensive Linemen, and Defensive Linemen...and possibly a kicker, I have been impressed with the kicker from Penn State. He has played in some nasty weather games and some not so nice field conditions in college.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:26 pm 

Don't count the Steelers out just because they are old. As long as they have a good quarterback, they will be competitive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 pm 

Steelers need to retain Taylor. If he leaves as a free agent, they are in deeeep freaking poop.

If they need to franchise him, then do so. Preferably, sign him to a 4-year deal, and franchise Woodley. Woodley already said that he would not mind being franchised.

Then, draft a guy who can play LG. Kemo is just not nimble enough. He struggles in pass blocking. Mike Pouncey is a damn good prospect at G. His problems have come on snaps, but that is a non-issue with the Steelers.

Mike Pouncey is very good at pass protection, moves really well for a guy that big, is simply excellent in space, and did a commendable job for Florida pulling and leading running and screen plays.

Mike Pouncey at LG, Starks back at LT, Maurkice continuing his maturation at C, Foster or Kemo at RG, Adams at RT is the best Steelers line since 2005.

As for the #2 CB ... Please, no more Gay or McFadden struggling to stay with receivers and constantly getting beat. I just can't take it. Maybe the Clemson rookie taken last draft, Butler, can make strides. Maybe a guy in the 2nd round like Rais-I-Dowling, or perhaps Va Tech's Rashad Carmichael.

Something. Anything.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:12 pm 

Charlie Batch was on WDVE yesterday morning and said teams can't use the Franchise Tag because of the upcoming possible lockout...He's the Steeler's Union Rep.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 pm 

Todd McShay has the Pouncey the younger going to ATL and the Steelers getting an OL with a history of injury problems:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... id=6101352

Quote:
Benjamin Ijalana, OT, Villanova
Ijalana is an under-the-radar FCS prospect, but he possesses good physical tools and a lot of upside. A lack of depth along the offensive line was an issue for the Steelers in 2010, and assuming Ijalana's nagging minor injuries have healed, he could add depth while preparing for a full-time starting job.

I would like getting an OL and one with upside, but I'm wary of drafting one with a history of injury problems.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:00 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Well then, you should be pretty happy that the Steeler FO doesn't pay a wit of attention to these publications.

ZM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
The draft is happening lockout or not.

Probably, and then the lawsuits will be filed. I remember reading some time back that the NFL draft could not survive a legal challenge if it was not sanctioned by the collective bargaining agreement. It was a while back, so my memory might be a bit hazy, so I could be wrong, but all it would take is one Scott Boras type agent to overturn it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:25 pm 

According to ESPN AFC North blogger/'insider' James Walker, the Steelers are planning to franchise LaMar Woodley.

I'm not sure how that would work out, with the CBA/lockout and all, but...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:22 am 

The Jets released OL Damien Woody... if there's a season and depending on how much $ he wants, anybody think he'd be a good fit?