Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Super Bowl XLV Packers vs Steelers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:04 am 
 WWW  Profile

Go Pack Go!

7:00 PM

Post subject: Re: Super Bowl XLV Packers vs Steelers
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:14 am 

Obviously, I want the Steelers to win, but if the Pack win I'll be okay with it.

IMO, the Pack are one of the teams who should make the SB once a decade.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:56 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Obviously, I want the Steelers to win, ...

Agree 100%

NSMaster56 wrote:
... but if the Pack win I'll be okay with it.

Disagree 100%

I am a HUGE Steelers fan. High school classmates (I graduated in 1979, BTW) are giving me props for the Steelers being in the Super Bowl.

Look at it this way, NS. If the Pirates were in the Series against the Tigers, would it be "okay" if the Tigers won since they are a proud franchise with a great history, but some struggles of late? No, not even close.

Go, Steelers.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Disagree 100%

I am a HUGE Steelers fan. High school classmates (I graduated in 1979, BTW) are giving me props for the Steelers being in the Super Bowl.

Look at it this way, NS. If the Pirates were in the Series against the Tigers, would it be "okay" if the Tigers won since they are a proud franchise with a great history, but some struggles of late? No, not even close.

Go, Steelers.

Yeah, but comparing the Steelers and Pirates isn't fair. The Pirates are a punchline in the MLB while the Steelers are the best team in NFL history with the most (SB) titles. And really, if they can add an OL and/or DB or two, this team can still make some more title runs.

I won't be too disappointed if the Steelers lose, because I had no expectation of them even making the SB this year. Plus, the Pack are a good franchise; they aren't the Giants, Cowboys or some douchebag fanbase.

I'm a HUGE Steelers fan too (the only one I knew here in WA until I turned 18 and found the Tacoma Hooters Steelers fan club), but I'm not ready to turn into a borderline Yanks fan, demanding a title every year.

Despite what Gordon Gekko may have said, greed is not good.

I'm just happy this team has made the SB (despite all obstacles and my low expectations) and if they happen to win it, it will just be extra gravy IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Disagree 100%

Go, Steelers.

Yeah, but comparing the Steelers and Pirates isn't fair. The Pirates are a punchline in the MLB while the Steelers are the best team in NFL history with the most (SB) titles. And really, if they can add an OL and/or DB or two, this team can still make some more title runs.

I won't be too disappointed if the Steelers lose, because I had no expectation of them even making the SB this year. Plus, the Pack are a good franchise; they aren't the Giants, Cowboys or some douchebag fanbase.

I'm a HUGE Steelers fan too (the only one I knew here in WA until I turned 18 and found the Tacoma Hooters Steelers fan club), but I'm not ready to turn into a borderline Yanks fan, demanding a title every year.

Despite what Gordon Gekko may have said, greed is not good.

I'm just happy this team has made the SB (despite all obstacles and my low expectations) and if they happen to win it, it will just be extra gravy IMO.

Its not about Greed, its about realizing that these opportunities don't come very often and this could be the last one in a long time, you never know. The its OK we'll be back mentality sounds alot like a Yankees fan. There's not one molecule in my Black n Gold blood that would be OK with losing the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:14 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
There's not one molecule in my Black n Gold blood that would be OK with losing the Super Bowl.

I don't want to lose a Super Bowl either.

But if the possibility exists (and it does), I'd rather the hypothetical team mine lose to be the Pack, Niners or Eagles (three teams I don't mind/respect) as opposed to the despicable Bears, Giants or Cowboys or lowly Cards, Hawks or Panthers.

I'm not going to cry should the Steelers lose the SB this year. The Pack are a great franchise who deserve it, too and the Steelers are still the best franchise there ever was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:34 am 

I don't want to see A. Rodgers win anything.. let him lose a Super Bowl first..
I like Charlie Batch and Troy Polamalu so I'm for the Steelers. :)
Oh.. your right tackle is a former Lion too!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:26 pm 

Ollie wrote:
Oh.. your right tackle is a former Lion too!

The Steelers right tackle, Flozell Adams, is a former Cowgirl.

The former Lion on the offensive line was Jeff Hartings, a very good center, but he retired a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:44 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

But if the possibility exists (and it does), I'd rather the hypothetical team mine lose to be the Pack, Niners or Eagles (three teams I don't mind/respect) as opposed to the despicable Bears, Giants or Cowboys or lowly Cards, Hawks or Panthers.

Forgive me, I'm probably out of date - have the Eagles moved city?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 pm 

No, they are still in Philly Bertie, but it is sure good to see you here. Hope all is well. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:03 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Disagree 100%

Go, Steelers.

NFL history did not start with Super Bowl I. The Steelers have a long way to go to catch up to the Packers in NFL history. They were basically the Pirates of the NFL for forty years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:02 pm 

Bertie wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Forgive me, I'm probably out of date - have the Eagles moved city?

I'm not from PA, so I hold no ill will toward Philly. I hate the Sixers and Flyers, but I respect the Phils and Iggles.

As far as fans go, I'm fairly unorthodox.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

NFL history did not start with Super Bowl I. The Steelers have a long way to go to catch up to the Packers in NFL history. They were basically the Pirates of the NFL for forty years.

The number of fans still alive (or at least as vocal) from the pre Super Bowl era is less than after it.

Furthermore, regardless of 'full' NFL history, the Steelers are [arguably] the most successful franchise of the last 40 years.

The Packers are a highly decorated franchise with just as die-hard fans as the City of Champions.

I want the Steelers to win, but if they don't, I'm not going to whine, bitch or complain one bit because Green Bay deserves another Lombardi (AKA the trophy named after their great coach) just as much as any other team (except for the Cowboys!)

As a fan, generally speaking, I do not follow/believe in the Genghis Khan theory of 'it is not enough that I should succeed, all others must fail.'

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:23 pm 

I am not going to take anything away from the Packers 12 championships, but they won most of them when there were no playoffs and only 12 teams in the league. Again, they were great, but the none they won pre-Super Bowl were a lot easier than the 3 Super Bowls they won or the 6 the Steelers have won.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:58 pm 

Where is everyone watching the game? Is IA the only Packer fan on the board?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:07 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:

I'm driving down to Tulsa to watch the game with my best friend (who is also a Packers fan). All-day tailgate!

7:00 PM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:22 pm 

IA Pirate wrote:
bucco boy wrote:

I'm driving down to Tulsa to watch the game with my best friend (who is also a Packers fan). All-day tailgate!

I like you IA, BUT YOU ARE GOING DOWN CHEESEHEAD!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:32 pm 

I heard someone call the Steelers the Pittsburgh Cheddar Shredders!!! He then explained the joke because cheese graters are made of steel...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:01 pm 

bucco boy wrote:

I would be watching the game at the Tacoma Hooters, home of the 'Black and Gold Express', but...

1. I'm working
2. I'd have to show up at least 3 hours early to get a seat

I'm hoping to get off of work by 3 and to catch the game at home. Pizza and beer.

All yous in the City of Champions, I envy you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:34 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

The number of fans still alive (or at least as vocal) from the pre Super Bowl era is less than after it.

Furthermore, regardless of 'full' NFL history, the Steelers are [arguably] the most successful franchise of the last 40 years.

You can take out the "arguably" when it comes to the last 40 years. Anyone who cares to argue that a team has been more successful than the Steelers over the last 40 years hasn't been paying attention.