Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: When.....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:27 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
HIs track record says he is good at hiring basketball coaches, not so much football coaches ie. Nebraska and Pitt.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:30 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that he should have been able to predict that his new head coach would be involved in a domestic battery case from a few interviews?

Background check. Numerous reporters have stated that high-profile teams were not considering Haywood because of "personal issues." Maybe Pederson should have fully checked that out before hiring him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:10 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
HIs track record says he is good at hiring basketball coaches, not so much football coaches ie. Nebraska and Pitt.

Walt Harris wasn't a bad hire.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
His track record at hiring coaches is bad. Period. His strengths obviously lie in fund raising and building facilities, but not hiring coaches.

To wit:

His hire of Walt Harris was a third pick after being turned down by Matt Cavanaugh (yep, the same run out of town as OC under Wanny) after a single, 3 hr interview (sound familiar?), and his second choice (forgot name). He was in full scramble mode when Johny Majors put down is scotch long enough to call his old buddy and QB coach at Tennessee, Walt Harris, to ask him up.

Pederson hired Traci Waites. 'nuff said.

His Howland hire, always used as his defense, was loudly whispered to be generated by Sonny Vaccaro. Only the rumor mill there, but Vaccaro had done that type of deal many, many times before for other schools - bringing along a promising young coach with his Nike contract, to a school in need. Meh...

Nebraska and Callahan. A true mess.

Extending Wanny 3 years after Wanny's two consecutive years of big game, end of season collapse in the BE - then a hasty firing where his chosen candidate, Al Golden, walked to the "U".

Hiring Haywood without proper background check. Something that a $35 NTS package would have shown, and which subsequent stories have demonstrated that Haywood had lost other jobs at D1 schools based on domestic violence background red flags.

Smiley can build a sportsplex. His sporting acumen is on par with DL.

ZM

You know that there was no background check? Really?

I'd appreciate any links to stories that prove Haywood had problems with domestic violence. To speak frankly, I detest Peterson, but I don't expect him to be able to read minds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:33 pm 

Pitt football is not a destination unless it is a destination with another destination afterwards. If they wanted a guy to stay a while then Wannstedt was the man. Otherwise, it is a stepping stone on to elsewhere. JMHO. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Pitt football is not a destination unless it is a destination with another destination afterwards. If they wanted a guy to stay a while then Wannstedt was the man. Otherwise, it is a stepping stone on to elsewhere. JMHO. 8-) 8-)

Tru dat...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:

True, they have to get lucky to keep a guy long term at this stage of the game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:20 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

One decent hire makes up for two disasters?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting that he should have been able to predict that his new head coach would be involved in a domestic battery case from a few interviews?

Background check. Numerous reporters have stated that high-profile teams were not considering Haywood because of "personal issues." Maybe Pederson should have fully checked that out before hiring him.

The Post-Gazette reports today that Haywood passed TWO background checks before he was hired, one by Parker Executive Search (the search firm hired to identify candidates) and a second by Kroll Background Screening, the firm Pitt uses to check on all candidates. In addition, Pederson said, "We also made numerous phone calls and contacts with people covering his time at LSU, Miami (Ohio), Notre Dame, Texas and everything came back clean," Mr. Pederson said. "There were no red flags at all in his background from anyone at these institutions."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11006/1116103-100.stm

Now, is that settled, or do want to throw some more invented crap against the wall to see if it will stick?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:11 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
sisyphus wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

One decent hire makes up for two disasters?

I don't give a damn what he did at Nebraska, so at Pitt I see one decent hire and one unlucky hire. I also see one of the best basketball programs in the country.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:36 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

sisyphus wrote:

Now, is that settled, or do want to throw some more invented crap against the wall to see if it will stick?

Yawn... Yep. Steve Pederson says so, it MUST be true...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16627.html

from the article and ESPN..

Quote:
and according to ESPN’s Pat Forde, at least one other school shunned Haywood because of red flags in his personal life.

ZM

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:26 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
sisyphus wrote:

Yawn... Yep. Steve Pederson says so, it MUST be true...

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 16627.html

from the article and ESPN..

Quote:
and according to ESPN’s Pat Forde, at least one other school shunned Haywood because of red flags in his personal life.

ZM

Pat Forde says so, so it must be true. Where is the quote? What school? Who said it?

If you want to call Pederson a liar, present your evidence. We already know for a fact that Pitt used a search firm to identify candidates; that was announced right after Wanny's firing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You wanted sources. You got sources.

Yeah, I'm believing a quote from the guy who is on the hot seat.

They used a search firm. If you bother to read in any depth, you will find he did NOT use the search firm that virtually every other school uses in these type searches.

Face it. Haywood's character flaws were out there for the taking as evidenced by several schools pulling back and ESPN.

Further, the pattern matches past SP "efforts" as coaching hires, i.e., fast, shallow and in attempt to make some kind of unique splash - rather than thorough search.

ZM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:54 pm 

sisyphus wrote:
I also see one of the best basketball programs in the country.

No dispute there but he did get both of those coaches in only one hire when he grabbed Howland from the Northern Arizona Lumberjacks 8-) 8-) .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:39 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
You wanted sources. You got sources.

Know I didn't. I got, "so and so says that somebody said". No attribution.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm believing a quote from the guy who is on the hot seat.

Yeah, I'm believing an unattributed quote from some website. Who is more gullible?

Quote:
They used a search firm. If you bother to read in any depth, you will find he did NOT use the search firm that virtually every other school uses in these type searches.

Face it. Haywood's character flaws were out there for the taking as evidenced by several schools pulling back and ESPN.

ESPN knew it, but Pitt didn't, Miami didn't, Notre Dame didn't, Texas didn't, LSU didn't, Ball State didn't, Ohio didn't, and Army didn't.

It looks like Pitt's pulling back on Tom Bradley. Maybe he's a wife beater.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:54 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I guess ESPN does not count to you. Go figure, I guess Forte is making stuff up. Never mind that he works daily in the coaching community.

ZM