Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stiller nation so quiet?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:53 pm 

The offense is a concern for me, mostly because of the line injuries and the other set of rules the NFL uses when the Steelers are on offense...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:25 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Bucfan wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:

Agreed on concerns about the offense. The simple fact is that the offense cannot produce in the red zone, where it matters most.

How about play action on first down? No, no, no ... let's not throw until 3rd and goal, with empty backfield. That will slow the rush.

Or how about a desultory attempt at running, with 8 guys on the line of scrimmage, followed by a refusal to run on 2nd down, where the defense goes nickel? Guaranteed success ... for Suisham.

This is Bruce Arians. I'm not one to say Arians sucks this or that. I will say he is simply not the best philosophical match to this O-line. These guys are run blocking maulers from the bygone Cowher era (mostly) who can run block, but need a real commitment to the run to realize their maximum abilities in pass blocking. In other words, Jerome with a fullback in front of him exploding into a point of attack and wearing down smaller linebackers and corners.

Arians is a sprint draw guy. You get what you get with sprint draw offenses, i.e., lots of stats, lots of movement between the 20's and a distinct inability to work in tight spaces without the area to open up for .... the spring draw.

Arians is actually quite imaginative at trying different dinks and dunks in tight spaces, but he is congenitally indifferent to the idea of the fullback concept.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:26 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
The offense is a concern for me, mostly because of the line injuries and the other set of rules the NFL uses when the Steelers are on offense...

Yep. And not much they can do about either.

Steelers have been called for 30 offensive holding penalties this year, on 373 pass attempts (2nd fewest pass attempts in the NFL). That means one holding call every 12.4 pass attempts.

I mention pass attempts, because holding happens on pass plays far more frequently than on running plays. The new NFL allows offensive lineman to get away with ridiculous amount of holding to "protect" the QB's. This completely screws teams that throw the ball less.

The league tries to counterbalance this fiasco by calling a lot more questionable holds on running plays, usually on TE's or wide receivers. Not a good scenario for the Steelers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:15 pm 

Good thing the Steelers have that one-game lead and a soft schedule down the stretch:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5933114

That BYE is looking great now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Anyone who thinks they'll do better than 11-5 and a second round playoff exit (could easily be first round) is delusional.

Swing and a miss!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:38 pm 

J_C_Steel wrote:
NSMaster56 wrote:
Anyone who thinks they'll do better than 11-5 and a second round playoff exit (could easily be first round) is delusional.

Swing and a miss!

Don't count chickens; the playoffs haven't even begun yet and the AFC is loaded.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:01 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Don't count chickens; the playoffs haven't even begun yet and the AFC is loaded.

The AFC has been unloaded.