Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stiller nation so quiet?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:17 pm 

Has Stiller nation gone into operation shutdown? What is the mood of the fans in town there? 8-) 8-) 8-)

Post subject: Re: Stiller nation so quiet?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:23 pm 

I'm not in the City of Champions, but the Steelers proved to me that they are who I thought they were yesterday.

Anyone who thinks they'll do better than 11-5 and a second round playoff exit (could easily be first round) is delusional.

The offense hasn't gotten better/on track with Big Ben under center, the OL is a mess and the D can't stop the [deep] pass.

The Pats will destroy the Steelers in the playoffs and the Chargers should, too (just based on paper stats and style of play).

Both the Ravens and Jets D are too tough and have enough O to get the W over the Steelers (especially since they'll probably have homefield).

Other than the winner of the South (or the Chiefs if they somehow nab the West), I can't see who the Steelers match up well against or could beat in January.

I'm not worried, though, because the sky is not falling. The team could get their act together this year (not likely) and if they don't they'll do what they always do every 2-3 years: (finally) buckle down, get healthy/in shape, draft/sign players to fill the gaps and come out firing on all cylinders in 2011.

I see (slight) disappointment this year, but a championship next year; following the trend: 05, 08... 2011.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:52 pm 

Does anyone think Cincinnati's offense is that much better than the Steelers? I don't. I know there is some issues with the offensive line. Some of that is talent. Some of it is communication which can be worked on. remember they have started five different combinations on the line and are missing both their starting tackles. Chris Kemo seemed to do just fine when they were winning the Super Bowl two seasons ago. My point about the Bengals is they put 30+ points up on the Bills defense. I really think Bruce Arians has held this offense back from performing up to it's ceiling. His inisistence of a two-tight end, no-fullback offense has been a mistake for years. He also doesn't do a very good job with the play-calling.

I agree the Steelers will struggle to win a championship this season, but I wouldn't totally rule them out if they get their offensive line playing as a unit. Two of the sacks were miscommunication yesterday while two of Kemo's holding penalties were dicey. Heck if they called that on Harrison that way, the other team would never get a pass play off without a holding penalty.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:44 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
they put 30+ points up on the Bills defense

One touchdown was an interception return and another after a turnover in the Bills end. The field goal at the end of the first half should never have been kicked as the clock had run out. It was a gift. That said, the Bills can't stop the run a lick. 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Bengals were not impressive. 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:40 pm 

The Steelers always seem to play down to their opponents and make it close every game...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:44 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
The Steelers always seem to play down to their opponents and make it close every game...

That's not good! 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:18 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
I really think Bruce Arians has held this offense back from performing up to it's ceiling. His inisistence of a two-tight end, no-fullback offense has been a mistake for years. He also doesn't do a very good job with the play-calling.

Bullseye.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:31 pm 
 WWW  Profile

I'm just quiet because I don't want to be fined by the league.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:02 pm 

I think most Steeler fans are like me. We realize that the team has many weaknesses but is still a good team that is very much in the hunt.

I'm not conceding anything and neither will the Steelers, even if the opponent is the Patriots.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:45 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

All teams in the league have warts. All of them.

Who will be hot down the stretch? Stillers have just as much a shot as any because they play such good defense.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 pm 

Actually, this weekend is probably the whole season, so I think most of us are holding back in anticipation. The Ravens still struggle against the pass, something we couldn't exploit in the 1st meeting, and Ben has a great record against them in his career. A win puts us in the 2 seed driver seat, get a bye, then play the #3 in round 1 (either SD or Indy most likely) in Pittsburgh. It also potentially puts the Jets and the Pats on the same side of the bracket as the 1 and the 5 seeds. I don't see SD or Indy winning here in January, so in my book a Chapionship game appearance would look strong with a win Sunday night. Of course a loss means wild card and a tough road playoff game.

The officiating is getting tough to overcome, particularly when we play a better team like this week.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
The officiating is getting tough to overcome, particularly when we play a better team like this week.

Please, to blame this on referees is bordering on ludicrous. James Harrison has shown an inability to adjust his game and adapt to the latest interpretation of the rules. He continues to lead with his head and then go waah waah when called for it. It seems the rest of the league has figured it out. Quit crying James. :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:44 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Please, to blame this on referees is bordering on ludicrous. James Harrison has shown an inability to adjust his game and adapt to the latest interpretation of the rules. He continues to lead with his head and then go waah waah when called for it. It seems the rest of the league has figured it out. Quit crying James. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Sorry AZ. You are wrong on this one. I am not a conspiracy theorist but there is too much evidence supporting the fact that Harrison is being targeted by the league. On the hit on Fitzpatrick, that is how you are taught to tackle at all levels of football. Face mask in the chest. The official called helmet to helmet and then the league called it helmet to chest. If you watch the replay, he clearly has the crown of his face mask right in the QBs chest. The hit not only is legal, but it is fundamental. I am a son of a football coach. I have been around football since I was born. I have been to camps, clinics and been taught by some of the best football coaches in America. That is how I was taught to tackle.

Also on the replay, and this has been reported in the media as well, the official already is reaching for the flag before contact is made. That tells me that it is in the official's mind already that Harrison is a target. Whether that came down from the league or reputation, I don't know but it's not fair or football.

There is no doubt Harrison is brutal and violent. But that is the football we all grew up with. If you are saying the league has changed and so should Harrison, I agree with you from the standpoint that Harrison needs to change. But change into what? Where is the line now? When is a player defenseless? The league is playing a dangerous game here. And the hypocrisy that has been there for years is now being called out by guys like Hines Ward. The NFL needs to make a decision who they are or the league's integrity and future could be at stake.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:21 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ditto.

Harrison has a very valid complaint.

'course this week with the Ravens it is 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:30 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
All teams in the league have warts. All of them.

Who will be hot down the stretch? Stillers have just as much a shot as any because they play such good defense.

ZM

Not against the pass. 240.5 allowed per game, 22nd in the league.

Flacco figured this out during the game winning drive @ Heinz Field. If the Ravens go with a pass-first gameplan (like the Pats), the Steelers shot could be a small very target.

bucco boy wrote:
Sorry AZ. You are wrong on this one. I am not a conspiracy theorist but there is too much evidence supporting the fact that Harrison is being targeted by the league. On the hit on Fitzpatrick, that is how you are taught to tackle at all levels of football. Face mask in the chest. The official called helmet to helmet and then the league called it helmet to chest. If you watch the replay, he clearly has the crown of his face mask right in the QBs chest. The hit not only is legal, but it is fundamental. I am a son of a football coach. I have been around football since I was born. I have been to camps, clinics and been taught by some of the best football coaches in America. That is how I was taught to tackle.
There is no doubt Harrison is brutal and violent. But that is the football we all grew up with. If you are saying the league has changed and so should Harrison, I agree with you from the standpoint that Harrison needs to change. But change into what? Where is the line now? When is a player defenseless? The league is playing a dangerous game here. And the hypocrisy that has been there for years is now being called out by guys like Hines Ward. The NFL needs to make a decision who they are or the league's integrity and future could be at stake.

"They don't care about the safety of the game. If the league was so concerned about the safety, why are you adding two more games on? You talk about you don't want players to drink ... and all you see is beer commercials. You don't want us to gamble, but then there are [NFL-endorsed lottery scratch-off games]."
-Hines Ward

I think Hines nailed it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:48 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

You are wrong, NM, to equate good defense with a pass efficiency rating.

Let's make this simple.

You can't run on them. No one can. They don't give up points. They don't give up points, especially touchdowns, better than anyone.

So, teams pass to catch up or win. D-backs in LeBeau's world, keep stuff in front of them. They give up yards.

So what. You don't score on them.

And, please don't give me one Flacco drive in which a nickel got caught without top coverage help.

Their defense is very, very good.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:52 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Let's make this simple.

You can't run on them. No one can. They don't give up points. They don't give up points, especially touchdowns, better than anyone.

So, teams pass to catch up or win. D-backs in LeBeau's world, keep stuff in front of them. They give up yards.

And, please don't give me one Flacco drive in which a nickel got caught without top coverage help.

ZM

I agree with most of this except for the last line. Without Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel, they are just good. Get rid of the verys.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:27 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:

Also on the replay, and this has been reported in the media as well, the official already is reaching for the flag before contact is made. That tells me that it is in the official's mind already that Harrison is a target. Whether that came down from the league or reputation, I don't know but it's not fair or football.

Well said.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:33 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:

Let's make this simple.

ZM

The run defense is best in the league, but the pass defense is bottom 10/11 (and has been most of the season). That is fact at the moment.

Nearly 249 yards given up to the Fins in a game that should have been a loss (thanks refs!). 288 given up against the Saints in a road loss. 350 given up to the Pats in a blowout loss. 255 yards allowed against the Bills that should have been another loss (thanks Steve Johnson!).

As a unit and based on stats, the D is top-5. But the Bears, Jets, Ravens, Packers, Chargers or Falcons are just as good at the moment (and more balanced overall as a D).

ZelieMike wrote:
So, teams pass to catch up or win.

Win being the key word in that sentence.

Ravens passed to a W their final drive. Bengals came back from 20 down, almost won. Bills from 13 down and should have won. Don't know how the Fins didn't win (again, the refs). Pats never trailed.

Once teams pass first and abandon the run against the Steelers, then we'll know how legit they are on D. Because other than the always smarter than everyone else Belichick, nobody else has abandoned the run early against the Steelers.

It will be interesting to see what Harbaugh and Flacco's gameplans are on SNF. If they're conventional and want to brawl, the Steelers can win. If they air it out... I'm more skeptical.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:45 pm 

I am not saying right or wrong. My point is that he is not making the adjustments required and to say it is a conspiracy against the Steelers carries no validity. Why is there not others being fined as often? Are others making the adjustment? Just asking. 8-) 8-) 8-)