Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeff Reed Cut
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:59 pm 

Is this a shock or what? Yeah the guy missed a few kicks, said some things he shouldn't have said, did some things he shouldn't have done. But this is a surprise.

There must be some things going on behind the scenes that we don't know about.

Post subject: Re: Jeff Reed Cut
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:01 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
Is this a shock or what? Yeah the guy missed a few kicks, said some things he shouldn't have said, did some things he shouldn't have done. But this is a surprise.

If you go back to last year, he has become less reliable. But the comments he made this week coupled with his behavior over the years broke the proverbial straw.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:03 pm 

Ralphie wrote:

I don't know. Getting arrested for pissing in a parking lot is enough to get you fired from a lot of jobs.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:06 pm 

Jeremy wrote:
Getting arrested for pissing in a parking lot is enough to get you f

Heck it will get you registered as a sex offender in most states. It will in Az. but a lot of !@#$ in this state is wack. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:02 am 

I think there were a few dynamics at play here.

I don't believe that Jeff Reed got cut because he missed the kick on Sunday. To cut a kicker who has been so reliable kicking for your team and doing so in some (maybe the most) unfavorable conditions for approximately eight years is not a smart decision and is not the decision I believe the Steelers made.

Secondly, Reed isn't missing kicks because he can't physically make them. He's missing kicks because of mental deficiencies at the moment and I think the kick he missed on Sunday falls into that category (despite the poor field conditions).

Much has been made about Reed's post-game comments and I think that they are extremely telling. On their own, these comments wouldn't get a player of his stature cut. Coupled with his continued mental lapses this season I think they're telling. Reed isn't in the right mindset to succeed at kicking FGs in the NFL right now.

That's the problem and I think that's why I believe he was cut by the Steelers. That kick may not have made an impact on the game but he's not somebody to be trusted in his current mindset when a game winning field goal is setup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm 

I heard he cleaned himself up after the incident with the police last year and the community service work.

I wonder if he gave up drinking? Maybe that's messing with him? As he now has more time to think about kicking and football and doesnt have that to get him away from the game?

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:34 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
I heard he cleaned himself up after the incident with the police last year and the community service work.

I wonder if he gave up drinking? Maybe that's messing with him? As he now has more time to think about kicking and football and doesnt have that to get him away from the game?

This wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Maybe that was the only way he knew how to have a good time and it filled a hole in his life. He looked really miserable when he was answering those questions and not just the type of miserable that he had just missed a kick or something. He looked truly unhappy to me.