Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who Dey?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 pm 

It's all about making the playoffs and going on from there anything can happen. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:11 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
It's all about making the playoffs and going on from there anything can happen. 8-) 8-) 8-)

This is true, but from my experiences/memories, the Steelers have 'fallen short' more times than 'found it' in the playoffs.

I just don't see the same heart/intangibles/moxie/"insert undefinable quality here" in this squad that I did in the winners of past (95, 05, 08). Those teams wanted to win it all badly and even on a bad day lost only by the skin of their teeth. This team looks bored and/or tired.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

This is true, but from my experiences/memories, the Steelers have 'fallen short' more times than 'found it' in the playoffs.

I just don't see the same heart/intangibles/moxie/"insert undefinable quality here" in this squad that I did in the winners of past (95, 05, 08). Those teams wanted to win it all badly and even on a bad day lost only by the skin of their teeth. This team looks bored and/or tired.

They're hurting. Both DEs gone. Left side of the offensive line gone. Hines Ward missed most of the New England game. And don't underestimate the importance of missing Ward. The guy is the heart and soul of the Steelers. The one who defines their image. If he's in that game, he catches that slant that Wallace dropped.

At the end of the day though, I'd be thrilled getting to the AFCCG. This team has some glaring needs. A real fullback for Mendenhall. Some more depth at receiver. Another cover cornerback. Upgrades at basically all the offensive line positions.

Getting to the AFCCG in a season where your franchise QB was out for the first 4 games and where you've lost some big time players to injury is a definite win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
the Steelers have 'fallen short' more times than 'found it' in the playoffs.

No team will win it every year. This happens to all teams. Right now is the dog days of the NFL season. A lot can happen in the last 7-8 weeks. Heck, the Bills might even win two in a row this week against the Bungles. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 pm 

They will struggle for every win they get, especially now that so many linemen are injured. But I would not count them out of any games regardless of the opponent. The are still in the hunt for the Super Bowl as far as I'm concerned, although the odds do look longer after the most recent game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:22 pm 

I've been concerned that Tomlin made a big mistake allowing the players to be so vocal about the rule enforcement issues. He may have allowed a huge distraction to creep into the locker room (and maybe onto the field) when he could have squashed it and told them to just play. No rules were changed, but a lot of the players are acting like they put a whole new manual in place mid-season. You basically have a defense that now has an excuse for not getting it done in their heads.

At any rate they cannot go far in the playoffs without better LT play, Scott was horrible Sunday night against a smaller guy like Canty. They probablyhave to leave a back or a TE in more often to help him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:33 pm 

Hey guys, could be worse, you could join me as a Bill's fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:37 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No team will win it every year. This happens to all teams.

This I know, but other than the Colts and Eagles, I think the Steelers have every other team in the NFL beat for # of playoff appearnces without winning the Super Bowl over the last 15 years.

Not that I'm demanding the Steelers win every year or complaining that they 'only make the playoffs' just about every year, but I try to be realistic and all I see this season is another playoff exit. Basically, I am far too cynical (jaded) an NFL fan.

Whereas, in the NHL I could care less about the Pens early woes because by June they'll still be a top-5 seed and the only 'real team to beat' will be the Flyers and Caps, both of whom the Pens can handle.

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Hey guys, could be worse, you could join me as a Bill's fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I actually think the Bills are not terrible. Considering their roster I'd say they're impressive.

The Panthers are the worst team in the league, beyond all doubts (12 PPG).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:43 am 

I was hoping for an 0-16 year. I figured that if they suck, they might as well be the best at it. Hoping for the number 1 pick but there really doesn't seem to be a franchise changing player. In fact, this draft really lacks any impact players. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I was hoping for an 0-16 year. I figured that if they suck, they might as well be the best at it. Hoping for the number 1 pick but there really doesn't seem to be a franchise changing player. In fact, this draft really lacks any impact players. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Andrew Luck is the best QB prospect I've seen since Peyton Manning, so I'm not sure I agree with that statement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:23 pm 

I have watched Andrew Luck several times this year including this past week against ASU. I just don't see him as a franchise changing QB. IMHO. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:46 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I have watched Andrew Luck several times this year including this past week against ASU. I just don't see him as a franchise changing QB. IMHO. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Maybe Jake Locker. He was great before this year (injuries and other 'bad luck').

He will probably slip to the later rounds, where he could be a steal for the Bills, provided he can adapt to the pro game and he is properly 'groomed'.

Although I will say taht Fitzpatrick has shown to be a competent QB. Head and shoulders better than Trent Edwards (another former Stanford guy, so I get your hesitance toward drafting Andrew Luck).

Besides, I think the Bills have more pressing issues other than QB (OL and the entire D).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:39 pm 

Against ASU this past week, all 3 passes that Luck threw over 20 yards to stretch the field were intercepted. Everything was dink and dunk, west coast style. Who is his coach??? Jim Harbawful. Anther dink and dunk guy. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:16 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Against ASU this past week, all 3 passes that Luck threw over 20 yards to stretch the field were intercepted. Everything was dink and dunk, west coast style. Who is his coach??? Jim Harbawful. Anther dink and dunk guy. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Yeah, I mean all Harbaugh has done is make Stanford a top 10 team. Awful coach there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:17 am 

Did I say he was an awful coach? Hhhhmmmm..... I don't think so. Just commenting on his schemes. :? :? :? :?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:48 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

With you Az, Luck is a paper tiger who does not have the skills to throw the ball in the NFL. Deep out at 25 yards? Are you kidding me, he has trouble with a pass to the flat at 5 yards (I exaggerate for effect!).

I don't see a lot of "pro-ready" QB's out there, but then I don't see everything, and what I do see is a lot of Denard Robinson's running spreads that will get them to be nice slot receivers and safeties in the NFL.

ZM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:02 pm 

ZelieMike wrote:
I don't see a lot of "pro-ready" QB's out there, but then I don't see everything, and what I do see is a lot of Denard Robinson's running spreads that will get them to be nice slot receivers and safeties in the NFL.

ZM

Well, that and the Byron Leftwich-esque stud QB at Auburn -- all 6-6 and 250 pounds of him. Usually, where there's so much smoke around someone, there's also fire. And with all the smoke around this guy, declaring early for the NFL may be his most practical option. If/when he does, you know some team won't be able to resist taking him high in the first round.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:41 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Did I say he was an awful coach? Hhhhmmmm..... I don't think so. Just commenting on his schemes. :? :? :? :?

Yeah, awful schemes. They're ONLY a top 10 team.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:39 pm 

Why do you keep adding words to my posts? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Did I say awful schemes? No.
His schemes were all dink and dunk ala West Coast Offense.
We have seen enough dink and dunk in Buffalo. Mostly by a former Stanford guy named Trent Edwards. :lol: :lol: :lol: We all know how well he did.

I will repeat for you. All three passes he threw over 10 yards were intercepted against ASU. Luck is just not a franchise changing (except perhaps for the worse) QB. Not worth an overall No. 1 pick.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:27 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
We have seen enough dink and dunk in Buffalo. Mostly by a former Stanford guy named Trent Edwards. :lol: :lol: :lol: We all know how well he did.

Luck is just not a franchise changing (except perhaps for the worse) QB. Not worth an overall No. 1 pick.

He could succeed for the Cards or Niners, two teams with plenty of offensive options and west-coast tendencies, but he would probably be a disaster for the Bills like you say.