Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Who Dey?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:38 am 

I would not label Gronkowski a back up tight end. Steelers just got out played and out coached. Steelers looked more like pretenders and contenders. You just can't get beat like that at home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:40 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
They will have problems with the Raiders next week.

Yup. Not to mention having to face the Ravens again, in Baltimore. Plus a resurgent Cleveland at Cleveland. And the Jets and the Giants. In fact, on paper, there may be only two more wins to count on -- Buffalo and Carolina.

This team conceivably could miss the playoffs again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am 

Am I taking crazy pills?

If Hines doesn't get dinged, he catches that slant that Wallace dropped. If they get that 6 and Reed can someone managed to kick the extra point, the game looks totally different at that point.

Plus you have to remember Keisel missed another game with his hamstring which hurt the pass rush. Hood is looking more and more like a bust and Eason clearly isn't cut out to be an NFL starter.

And then you're breaking in two new offensive lineman.

All in all, it could have been much worse. The Patsies were a motivated bunch Sunday night and it showed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:34 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
two more wins to count on -- Buffalo and Carolina.

Oh My! 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:40 am 

Bob in Boston wrote:
bucco boy wrote:
They will have problems with the Raiders next week.

Yup. Not to mention having to face the Ravens again, in Baltimore. Plus a resurgent Cleveland at Cleveland. And the Jets and the Giants. In fact, on paper, there may be only two more wins to count on -- Buffalo and Carolina.

This team conceivably could miss the playoffs again.

Come on guys, act like you been there before, what an over reaction. Its 1 game, we all know we can't beat Brady. Do you think NE overreacted to losing to the Browns by 20 last week? That's how the NFL works these days, no team is above getting beat up occasionally. One week we're super bowl contenders and a short 60 min later we're out of the playoffs?

Oakland is traveling to the East Coast for a 1pm game, history tells us they face a huge task Sunday. We have Cincy at home, Buffalo and Carolina, that's 4 awfully winnable games. Are you really that scared by Flacco and McCoy on the road, or even Sanchez? All the remaining teams have huge flaws too. I'd still bet on 11-5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm 

It's actually kind of comforting to know that wherever I go, I'll always be able to count on Steelers fans overreacting to a tough loss.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:52 pm 

Oops, I didn't mean to include the Giants in that previous post. My bad.

I don't disagree about the Steelers having been there before. But the New England game wasn't just another tough loss. I see a progression here. The Miami game was much more of a struggle than it ought to have been. In New Orleans they were bushwacked by a team missing key parts on defense. Against Cincinnati they almost let a W get away in the fourth quarter, just like last year. I didn't watch the game against the Patriots, but from what I read they were all but out of it by the end of the first quarter.

Meanwhile, Aaron Smith is out, possibly for the rest of the season, and Keisel may as well be. Harrison, to my mind, hasn't been the same since the first round of fines was levied. Hood isn't coming along as quickly as hoped and Eason is demonstrating why he's not a first-teamer.

And the offensive line has been devastated by injuries: Willie Colon, Starks, and Kemoeatu. Essex hasn't been effective since returning from his injury. And now Ward and Redman are dealing with concussions.

I want the Steelers to run the table, too. But it's asking a lot for any team to overcome all that, even them.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:01 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:
Oops, I didn't mean to include the Giants in that previous post. My bad.

I don't disagree about the Steelers having been there before. But the New England game wasn't just another tough loss. I see a progression here. The Miami game was much more of a struggle than it ought to have been. In New Orleans they were bushwacked by a team missing key parts on defense. Against Cincinnati they almost let a W get away in the fourth quarter, just like last year. I didn't watch the game against the Patriots, but from what I read they were all but out of it by the end of the first quarter.

Meanwhile, Aaron Smith is out, possibly for the rest of the season, and Keisel may as well be. Harrison, to my mind, hasn't been the same since the first round of fines was levied. Hood isn't coming along as quickly as hoped and Eason is demonstrating why he's not a first-teamer.

And the offensive line has been devastated by injuries: Willie Colon, Starks, and Kemoeatu. And Essex hasn't been effective since returning from his injury. And now Ward and Redman are dealing with concussions.

I want the Steelers to run the table, too. But it's asking a lot for any team to overcome all that, even them.

Who says they're going to run of the table? We're 6-3 and tied for first in the division. We're a game up in the wild card and I'm not all that concerned about the teams chasing us.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:48 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Oakland is traveling to the East Coast for a 1pm game, history tells us they face a huge task Sunday. We have Cincy at home, Buffalo and Carolina, that's 4 awfully winnable games. Are you really that scared by Flacco and McCoy on the road, or even Sanchez? All the remaining teams have huge flaws too. I'd still bet on 11-5.

I'd bet the farm on an 11-5 finish, like I said somewhere in the first two pages of this thread... but I'd also bet the farm on a playoff exit in the first two rounds.

This Steelers team reminds me of the 07 squad which also lacked a good OL and started to abandon the run when Parker got injured. They're 'on the cusp' of being the among the best in the league, but they're not the best team nor will they beat a legitimately solid team.

Too many mistakes, too many weaknesses, too much to doubt.

But at least another JR bites the dust!

All hail the Suisham era!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:53 pm 

Bob in Boston wrote:

^This.

The Steelers overachieved when Big Ben was out, then had a tough loss @ home vs. the Ravens.

And other than the relatively easy W vs. the Browns, the Steelers have not looked better with Big Ben behind center.

They could have (should have) lost to the Dolphins (thanks again refs! ;) ) , practically no-showed vs. the Saints (and then fumbled the game away), almost collapsed vs. the Bengals (although this was also JR's fault) and then were totally outplayed by the Pats.

The team strikes me as paper tigers. They'll beat the crappy teams like Carolina and Buffalo, handle the mediocre teams like the Browns, Bengals and Raiders (although it won't be a walk in the park) and then they'll lose to legit teams like the Ravens or Jets, regardless of circumstances.

I would be shocked if this team made or won the Super Bowl this year, because they don't remind me of the 05 or 08 squad other than certain names and #'s on the back of jerseys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 pm 

It's all about making the playoffs and going on from there anything can happen. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:11 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
It's all about making the playoffs and going on from there anything can happen. 8-) 8-) 8-)

This is true, but from my experiences/memories, the Steelers have 'fallen short' more times than 'found it' in the playoffs.

I just don't see the same heart/intangibles/moxie/"insert undefinable quality here" in this squad that I did in the winners of past (95, 05, 08). Those teams wanted to win it all badly and even on a bad day lost only by the skin of their teeth. This team looks bored and/or tired.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:25 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
Az Bucco fan wrote:

This is true, but from my experiences/memories, the Steelers have 'fallen short' more times than 'found it' in the playoffs.

I just don't see the same heart/intangibles/moxie/"insert undefinable quality here" in this squad that I did in the winners of past (95, 05, 08). Those teams wanted to win it all badly and even on a bad day lost only by the skin of their teeth. This team looks bored and/or tired.

They're hurting. Both DEs gone. Left side of the offensive line gone. Hines Ward missed most of the New England game. And don't underestimate the importance of missing Ward. The guy is the heart and soul of the Steelers. The one who defines their image. If he's in that game, he catches that slant that Wallace dropped.

At the end of the day though, I'd be thrilled getting to the AFCCG. This team has some glaring needs. A real fullback for Mendenhall. Some more depth at receiver. Another cover cornerback. Upgrades at basically all the offensive line positions.

Getting to the AFCCG in a season where your franchise QB was out for the first 4 games and where you've lost some big time players to injury is a definite win.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:35 pm 

NSMaster56 wrote:
the Steelers have 'fallen short' more times than 'found it' in the playoffs.

No team will win it every year. This happens to all teams. Right now is the dog days of the NFL season. A lot can happen in the last 7-8 weeks. Heck, the Bills might even win two in a row this week against the Bungles. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:57 pm 

They will struggle for every win they get, especially now that so many linemen are injured. But I would not count them out of any games regardless of the opponent. The are still in the hunt for the Super Bowl as far as I'm concerned, although the odds do look longer after the most recent game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:22 pm 

I've been concerned that Tomlin made a big mistake allowing the players to be so vocal about the rule enforcement issues. He may have allowed a huge distraction to creep into the locker room (and maybe onto the field) when he could have squashed it and told them to just play. No rules were changed, but a lot of the players are acting like they put a whole new manual in place mid-season. You basically have a defense that now has an excuse for not getting it done in their heads.

At any rate they cannot go far in the playoffs without better LT play, Scott was horrible Sunday night against a smaller guy like Canty. They probablyhave to leave a back or a TE in more often to help him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:33 pm 

Hey guys, could be worse, you could join me as a Bill's fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:37 pm 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
No team will win it every year. This happens to all teams.

This I know, but other than the Colts and Eagles, I think the Steelers have every other team in the NFL beat for # of playoff appearnces without winning the Super Bowl over the last 15 years.

Not that I'm demanding the Steelers win every year or complaining that they 'only make the playoffs' just about every year, but I try to be realistic and all I see this season is another playoff exit. Basically, I am far too cynical (jaded) an NFL fan.

Whereas, in the NHL I could care less about the Pens early woes because by June they'll still be a top-5 seed and the only 'real team to beat' will be the Flyers and Caps, both of whom the Pens can handle.

Az Bucco fan wrote:
Hey guys, could be worse, you could join me as a Bill's fan. :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

I actually think the Bills are not terrible. Considering their roster I'd say they're impressive.

The Panthers are the worst team in the league, beyond all doubts (12 PPG).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:43 am 

I was hoping for an 0-16 year. I figured that if they suck, they might as well be the best at it. Hoping for the number 1 pick but there really doesn't seem to be a franchise changing player. In fact, this draft really lacks any impact players. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:45 am 

Az Bucco fan wrote:
I was hoping for an 0-16 year. I figured that if they suck, they might as well be the best at it. Hoping for the number 1 pick but there really doesn't seem to be a franchise changing player. In fact, this draft really lacks any impact players. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Andrew Luck is the best QB prospect I've seen since Peyton Manning, so I'm not sure I agree with that statement.