All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Who Dey?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 am 
 WWW  Profile

The Pittsburgh Steelers, that's who.

#thanksforasking

Post subject: Re: Who Dey?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:14 am 

Sorry to sound dramatic, but the season would have been over if they blew that 20 pt lead tonight.

Even with the win, they look entirely beatable and not 'in the zone'.

They will probably finish 11-5, but right now I'm seeing another disappointing playoff exit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:39 am 

I disagree. They could have lost that game and still been very much in the hunt. Long way to go. Not that it wasn't an important game. They all are.

And as far as being beatable, so is every team in the league. It is very hard to separate yourself from the pack in this league.

And no way am I ready to make any assumptions about what is going to happen in the playoffs. The Steelers are one of the contenders, but they have issues up front on both sides of the ball, so they're not going to dominate too many teams.

Enjoy the ride and hope for the best is my philosophy. And get some linemen in next year's draft.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:49 pm 

Ralphie wrote:
I disagree. They could have lost that game and still been very much in the hunt. Long way to go. Not that it wasn't an important game. They all are.

And as far as being beatable, so is every team in the league. It is very hard to separate yourself from the pack in this league.

And no way am I ready to make any assumptions about what is going to happen in the playoffs. The Steelers are one of the contenders, but they have issues up front on both sides of the ball, so they're not going to dominate too many teams.

Enjoy the ride and hope for the best is my philosophy. And get some linemen in next year's draft.

Obviously I am a pessimist, but to me at least, the Steelers have looked uninspired or bored since BB came back.

They got lucky to beat the Dolphins, completely played 'not to lose' vs. the Saints and checked out too early in Cincy.

Obviously if they get statement W's later in the season (Pats, Jets and Ravens still ahead) my opinions would change, but this team is lacking the 'swagger' I saw from the 05 and 08 champs.

They remind me more of the 04 or 07 teams that had solid regular seasons, but were paper tigers due to obvious shortcomings.

They'll go 11-5 this year, for sure and so at the very least they'll have the chance to make a run. Hope they prove me wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:06 pm 

My take is that the 2010 Steelers are good enough to win it all. They have a solid defense, talented, game-changers like Polamalu and Harrison on that side of the ball, an improving offensive line with Pouncey, a proven QB in Roethlisberger, a solid WR tandem in Ward and Wallace, and a very, very good RB in Mendenhall.

However, the offense needs to be much, much more productive. Far too many times, the offense moves the ball effectively only to stall at the very edge of field goal range. And one thing should be patently clear to all by now: Jeff Reed is not good outside of 40 yards. Not good at all. His shanks and short kickoffs are a serious problem.

Yes, Reed was money in 2008. So what? He is just killing the team this year. His whiffs against the Ravens cost the Steelers the game.

Finally, the biggest criticism I had of the offense yesterday occurred on the last drive, ahead 27-21, and where a score puts the game out of reach.

Mendenhall is chewing up the Bungles defense. Bungles put 9 guys on the LOS on 1st and 10 from the Bungles 32. Steelers need yardage to put Reed in his "comfort zone" (i.e., extra point territory).

Go play action on first down with all those defenders at the LOS and the offense picks up an easy first down, and puts itself in a position where the Bungles have to burn their timeouts. Reed has an easy (well, for him, easier) kick. Steelers basically burn up the clock, move ahead 30-21, and the game is over.

Noooo ... let's run three times, gain 5 yards, and have Reed attempt a 45-yard field goal from the right hash (where he has whiffed REPEATEDLY this year).

Bucfan was not happy. Seriously, was anybody surprised when Reed shanked another field goal and the game came down to some last-second play?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:37 pm 

Bucfan wrote:
And one thing should be patently clear to all by now: Jeff Reed is not good outside of 40 yards. Not good at all. His shanks and short kickoffs are a serious problem.

Yes, Reed was money in 2008. So what? He is just killing the team this year. His whiffs against the Ravens cost the Steelers the game.

This became painfully clear to me last year when Reed lost the game for the Steelers in week 2 or 3 vs. the Bears. He's becoming 'Kris Brown Lite'.

Bucfan wrote:
Finally, the biggest criticism I had of the offense yesterday occurred on the last drive, ahead 27-21, and where a score puts the game out of reach.

Yeah, but it should have never gotten to that point in the first place. Up 27-7, the game should have been over! But the offense went on cruise control, then turned it over and then the D did it's best impression of last years nightmare 4th quarter squad.

I don't know if it's Arians, BB or the O-Line, but the offense has to get better and smarter and put the game away.

Bad protection, overthrown passes, dropped catches, short to no gain runs and other miscues is going to cost games when it matters.

Bucfan wrote:
Bucfan was not happy. Seriously, was anybody surprised when Reed shanked another field goal and the game came down to some last-second play?

Nope. In fact, I was so surly because I was sure that it was 2009 all over again. I fully expected Justin Leonard to get a catch on that 4th down and then somehow scramble through defenders to get the first and then Caldwell to return and catch the GW TD.

And keep in mind I was sober! :D

All will be forgiven if the Steelers beat the dirty Pats, though. It'll be an early Thanksgiving!

[/yinzer]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:50 pm 

From a non bias bistander :? :? :? :? I think the Steelers are a good team, but not a real good team. JMHO. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:58 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Quote:
However, the offense needs to be much, much more productive. Far too many times, the offense moves the ball effectively only to stall at the very edge of field goal range. And one thing should be patently clear to all by now: Jeff Reed is not good outside of 40 yards. Not good at all. His shanks and short kickoffs are a serious problem.

The field goals are a by product of his increased depth on Kick offs, which have been good this year. But, he's changed his step to get the extra yardage. I think it is affecting his accuracy. He's not as good as he's been, but he is still better than 75% of the league.

Quote:

How is 6-2 being killed? He contributed to the Ravens loss, but that is about it in terms of what counts.. W's.

Quote:

Go play action on first down with all those defenders at the LOS and the offense picks up an easy first down, and puts itself in a position where the Bungles have to burn their timeouts. Reed has an easy (well, for him, easier) kick. Steelers basically burn up the clock, move ahead 30-21, and the game is over.

Noooo ... let's run three times, gain 5 yards, and have Reed attempt a 45-yard field goal from the right hash (where he has whiffed REPEATEDLY this year).

I guess you didn't get the memo from Art Rooney about running the ball. :D

Seriously, I understand what you are saying, but you have to learn to live with the Bruce Arian's offense. I have watched his teams since I was a grad student at Syracuse and he was Temple's head coach with Paul Palmer. You would not see the difference. He is a sprint draw guy... period. In sprint draw, you get great numbers but have a hell of a time getting short, tough yardage in short, tight spaces. Fullbacks need not apply.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:39 pm 

The defense is old, they cant be out on the field for more than 20 minutes a game. I think the Rooneys know that and that was why they pushed for them to run the ball more during the offseason.

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 pm 

They may be old, but I'm pretty sick of the time of possession (TOP) myth. The 2009 Steelers had a greater TOP than the Super Bowl champ 2008 Steelers. Their TOP this year is 2 minutes less than last year. The idea that 2009 was somehow the offense's fault is laughable, the D could not stop anyone in the 4th quarter.

The defense does as good a job as possible in the modern NFL and they are much better than 2009. They make teams 1 dimensional almost from the opening kick-off and then they play solid pass D. The exotic blitzes just arn't that special anymore, lots of other teams use them and plenty of teams use the 3-4.

It seems like this year's flaws are a collection of minor issues that could be fixed by playoff time. Although the O-line is 1 more injury away from complete chaos. Do you move Slow-zell back to his natural LT now?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:35 pm 

I'm not blaming the offense at all. I'm just saying that the defense just can't handle being out on the field for long drives like they used to a few years ago.

I think that the Rooneys knew it and was hoping they could get a lead and run, run, run late in the 2nd half to run time off the clock.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:36 pm 

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Although the O-line is 1 more injury away from complete chaos. Do you move Slow-zell back to his natural LT now?

I was surprised by the play of the O line this year so far.

And as for LT, you only put Slow-zell back there if you want Ben hurt...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:40 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

nad69dan wrote:
I'm not blaming the offense at all. I'm just saying that the defense just can't handle being out on the field for long drives like they used to a few years ago.

I think that the Rooneys knew it and was hoping they could get a lead and run, run, run late in the 2nd half to run time off the clock.

I think it a bit of a myth that they ever could spend long amounts of time on the field. In today's game, almost no one can. However, in the past "good ole days", the defense is as it is now. They were/are built to run molten hot for short periods of time - see virtually any quote by Palamalu to this subject.

The difference is the commitment to the running game by Cowher vs. Tomlin through Arians. Cowher could pull in the reigns and keep the defense off the field for 70% of the second half so they were that much fresher and faster and effective.

The lack of Arian's commitment to the power running game (via system, re: no fullback) and love of quick strike football makes it that much tougher on the defense.

They are playing about as well as can be expected in today's game, dealing with Arians' philosophy.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:46 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Barrys Dopers wrote:
Although the O-line is 1 more injury away from complete chaos. Do you move Slow-zell back to his natural LT now?

I was surprised by the play of the O line this year so far.

And as for LT, you only put Slow-zell back there if you want Ben hurt...

Jonathan Scott will do better at LT?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:05 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Barrys Dopers wrote:
Jonathan Scott will do better at LT?

Yes, I believe so.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:32 pm 

I actually think the OL has been fairly solid thus far, although the slew of recent injuries is starting to worry me a little.

My complaints go back to my well known dislike of Arians and of the D's obvious and glaring weakness of conditioning and wearing down in 4th quarter.

The pass coverage isn't great, but it hasn't seemed to really matter until the late 3rd/early 4th once the D wears down.

Now, in my opinion, some of this is because of the offense's inability to stay on the field and, more importantly, score late.

Sure Arians is calling more running plays and TOP is up, but a few problems with that in my mind:

1. The OL isn't good enough to achieve said strategy effectively, or at least vs. good teams like Baltimore, New Orleans and others (Jets still on schedule; Tennessee almost came back)
2. Regardless of TOP, the Steelers aren't scoring late to put games away
3. It's patently obvious that once the Steelers get a lead that they'll run-run-run again and so opposing D's stack the line and the better one's can stop this and get back into the game (knowing that the Steelers D will wear down as the game goes on).

Arians called a few quick screens and PA passes vs. Cincy and while the screens worked, the PA passes were overthrown or dropped, so it's not his fault (BB needs to hit his marks and WR's not named Wallace need to make an effort to get the ball). Still, I want a more agressive offense late in games instead of the simple and obvious run-run-run again; mainly because I am fearful that it won't work in the playoffs (because as we all saw, it didn't work last year or in SB XLIII).

Once this team can click on offense late I'm certain the D will be less of a problem because they'll be on the field less and/or have a larger lead to protect.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:17 am 

Speaking of WR's not named Wallace, we are looking pretty weak in our receiver corp beyond Wallace.

Ward has really slowed down. The other day he fumbled and dropped a very catchable touchdown pass, and just overall cannot make the plays he used to make.

Randle El is just ok. We need our two rookies to step up, but I don't know if they are ready for it. Or if they will be given the chance.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am 

Sanders is making nice progress and is the better receiver than Brown. He is probably going to get most of the playing time because of they are sorta weak there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:09 am 

Like I said, good enough to make the playoffs and that's it.

This team doesn't have 'it'.

But hey, you can't win every year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:31 am 

Perfect storm last night. Injuries have killed them up front. Ben was awful last night. WR were awful and no Hines. Belichick outcoaches another Steeler coach again (happened all the time with Cowher), Brady wasn't touched last night and finally a backup tight end had three TDs on an awful cornerback (William Gay). They have two other corners. Time to try one of the other guys out. I can't believe they miss Deshea Townsend that much.

They will have problems with the Raiders next week.