Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steelers defense
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:41 am 

I presume a lot of board members saw the Steelers defense against the Titans today. I have to say, it was one of the best defensive efforts I can remember, outside of that incredible 1977 team.

The NFL has skewed the rules to favor offense - no contact with receivers, blatant holding by the offensive line is allowed, coughing on the QB is a 15-yard penalty, etc. Despite this, the Steelers defense just pounded the Titans.

James Harrison played like the Titans insulted his mother. He hit Chris Johnson so hard on one play that Johnson was damn near knocked back to his rookie season. Lawrence Timmons looks like a 245 lb. Olympic Sprinter, with a score to settle.

Troy Polamalu is one of the finest players in the game today, and his interceptions almost always come at crucial, game-changing times of the game. The TD return against Palmer in 2004, the TD return to seal the AFC championship in 2008, the pick against Ryan in the 4th quarter of a tie game in week 1, the pick in the endzone today against Vince Young in a tight game.

If these guys can stay healthy (knock, pound, smash on wood), then this defense is going to be awesome. Just freaking awesome.

Post subject: Re: Steelers defense
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:16 am 
 WWW  Profile

Defense for the ages. Seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 am 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

This defense has the potential to match the feats of the '76 team. If they can do this over the next two games they will take on the aura of that team carrying Mike Kruczek to the playoffs.

Right now, they look on par with the '95 Blitzburgh team.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:02 pm 

I had written this fairly long well thought out post but something crashed and it didn't go through. Don't want to type it all again, but I'll say this.

The defense is great. Polamalu and Harrison are freaks, and Timmons looks like he wants to be included in that group.

The offensive line is horrible. When your opponent turns the ball over 7 times, and you still only gain 127 yards, you have big problems, I don't care who is at quarterback. If we did nothing but run the ball up the middle on every single play we should have gained more than that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:45 pm 

If the Steelers had an offense (specifically an O-Line, but also a legit #2 WR like... Santonio Holmes) then they'd be clear favorites to make the final four.

I'm still loving the D thus far and can't wait to see how this year turns out.

I don't think it can get worse than last years 'crap the bed fest'.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 pm 

Last year, when the defense was coming apart at the seams in the 4th quarter, I was among the most critical on the board. I remember writing that too many of the players were over 30, that Farrior looked just about done, and that Ryan Clark was taking horrible angles to the ball.

While I've yet to see the Steelers on TV this year -- and although the season is only two games old -- from what I read the defense seems to be playing inspired and prideful football again. Clearly, Polamalu and Aaron Smith make a huge difference when they're healthy and on the field. I hope the defense can keep it up because, as Ralphie notes, the offense isn't helping much so far.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:51 pm 

Take away two garbage TD's by the opposition in the closing minutes the last two weeks and the D has only allowed 19 points.

I don't want to get too optimistic, but I may have to adjust my original 9-7 prediction for the Steelers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:23 am 

Mike Wallace is a legit #2 reciever in the NFL. By next season, he may the #1 guy.

Plus they have Heath Miller, who's as good as a #2 receiver in the offense Pittsburgh runs.

It's also worth noting that Pittsburgh went for 6.3 YPC against Tampa and did not allow a sack for the first time since November 29, 2009.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 pm 

Pouncey has stabilized that line. It was a great pick. If they can protect Batch, imagine what they can do for Ben. He already avoided tons of sack just because of his size and mobility. The Steelers offense could be dominant. We will see how it goes this week against a team that knows us.

By the way, I am not a Bruce Arians fan, but he called a very good game yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:31 pm 

Perhaps I was overly critical of the O line after the Tennessee game. They played pretty well in Tampa. Getting Starks back helped a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:53 pm 

Atlanta and Tennessee have been pretty good teams in the past few years, little offense was to be expected, atleast I think so...

For those jumping ship, we'll keep the bandwagon warm for you...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:06 pm 

nad69dan wrote:
Atlanta and Tennessee have been pretty good teams in the past few years, little offense was to be expected, atleast I think so...

Atlanta beat New Orleans in New Orleans Sunday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

Ralphie wrote:
Perhaps I was overly critical of the O line after the Tennessee game. They played pretty well in Tampa. Getting Starks back helped a lot.

No, you simply did not give Ten enough credit. The front D is two deep at most every position with very good NFL players. This is a very good defense.

ZM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm 

Ask the Giants.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:56 pm 

bucco boy wrote:
Pouncey has stabilized that line. It was a great pick. If they can protect Batch, imagine what they can do for Ben. He already avoided tons of sack just because of his size and mobility. The Steelers offense could be dominant. We will see how it goes this week against a team that knows us.

By the way, I am not a Bruce Arians fan, but he called a very good game yesterday.

Not a Bruce fan either. Hopefully he learned from the myriad of blunders he made last year though.

And as much as I want to see Ben lead the offense, I worry about his return.

I'm starting to think that the Steelers more 'conservative' approach on offense without BB may have made them a better TEAM. Because we all know how Ben sometimes makes bad throws or tries to make a play and ends up hurting the team moreso (feast or famine).

It'll be interesting (to say the least) to see if the Steelers get better with BB, which, in theory, they absolutely should. But he may cost them a W or two and or make a few games closer than they need to be...