Proud fans of a 128-year old tradition

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 93.7 the Fan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:35 am 
 WWW  Profile

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I was just wondering what everyone in Pittsburgh and the surrounding area's think of the station? I think they do a pretty good job considering all they talk about for the most part is local sports. They do a better job than the local sports talk in Cleveland IMHO. The only guy that I don't think is all that great is Andrew Sasson I think, is the the one that always says I hear you, I hear you over and over on every call. Just wondering what you guys think about the station overall.

Post subject: Re: 93.7 the Fan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 am 

I work from home so I'm not in the car that much and don't know the announcers that well, but it is nice to be able to turn on the radio at any time and hear local sports talk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:24 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

I am getting to the point where I can only take in small doses.

The theme seems to be: Pick up any piece of trivial sports news, preferably of yinzer-yap variety, then create a couple of strawmen, black and white choices that will act as red meat to the yappers.

Example... Pirates DFA 39 yo Brendon Donnelly with his 5.54 ERA and promoted a pitcher 10 years younger with a 0.94 ERA... did Bob Nutting pocket the money for a ski trip to Seven Springs? Your the fan, you decide!

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:27 pm 

I like some of the new guys. Ron Cook and Joe Starkey are horrible. So is Jim Colony. These guys need to find new vocations (and for Cook, I don't mean writing).

One guy I heard on there as a replacement is John Phillips who had his own show years ago. I like him and Seibel especially.

Overall, I would give the station a C.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:31 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
I like some of the new guys. Ron Cook and Joe Starkey are horrible. So is Jim Colony. These guys need to find new vocations (and for Cook, I don't mean writing).

One guy I heard on there as a replacement is John Phillips who had his own show years ago. I like him and Seibel especially.

Yeah, bb, what is interesting is that I like the "out of town" guys much more than the "home grown" talent you cite. Seibel can act like a college freshman frat inductee at times, but that is OK. I do like Vinnie Riccici (sp?) and wish he could be removed from the doctor of doom that is Ron Cook before the he drifts to the dark side.

Ianotti reminds me of Howard Eskin which is both good and bad to me, but always good for ratings.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 pm 

Read it again, ZM. I said I like the new guys i.e. out of town guys. The only hometown guys I like are Burton, Alexander and Phillips. Vinnie is probably the least favorite of the new ones, but he is still better than the ones I mentioned.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:41 pm 
 WWW  YIM  Profile

bucco boy wrote:
Read it again, ZM. I said I like the new guys i.e. out of town guys. The only hometown guys I like are Burton, Alexander and Phillips. Vinnie is probably the least favorite of the new ones, but he is still better than the ones I mentioned.

No, I got you. You lilke the new guys too, not the "home grown" talent... I think.

ZM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:52 pm 
 WWW  Profile

bucco boy wrote:

What happened to Seibel at ESPN Radio? Was his contract just not renewed? And I wonder how hard it is for him to talk Steelers with a straight face being a self-proclaimed Bengals fan. Vinny sounds like he's always got food in his mouth :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:26 pm 

The only one I really hate listening to is Ron Cook. I particularly like the Seibol and Starkey show.